Ford Inside News banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chevrolet Malibu outsells Toyota Camry

A five day partial sales suspension was enough to push the Chevrolet Malibu ahead of the Toyota Camry for the month of January, 2010.

Chevrolet Malibu: 16,439
Toyota Camry (inc. hybrid): 15,792

Other rivals:

Ford Fusion: 12,179
Chrysler Sebring: 3,593
Dodge Avenger: 3,134
Mercury Milan: 1,881

LINK

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Congrats to the Malibu.

With those numbers, they might be in a close race with the Accord for #1 in Mid-size.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
only 1800 Milan's? Goddamnit Ford thats a gem right there! Start marketing that car and get sales up there!! It should be outselling the Sebring and Avenger

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
only 1800 Milan's? Goddamnit Ford thats a gem right there! Start marketing that car and get sales up there!! It should be outselling the Sebring and Avenger

imho any equivalent Merc should be selling 33-50% of the Ford model
&
with the Milan in particular I've wonder how many times salespeople will try to upsell the customer to the MKZ (which
imho should only have 33-50% of the Milan's numbers!)
for the last 2 full years:
__2009____2008__
022,081 - 030,117 - MKZ
027,403 - 031,393 - Milan
180,671 - 147,569 - Fusion

I believe this PROVES Fomoco spends WAY too much time & money promoting the Fusion & MKZ
&
imho it's time for MERCURY to show up AT SEMA (neo LEAD SLEDS!), on TV as 'product-placement', promotions of almost every (tasteful) kind!!!

ps
the 2010 Fusion MCE DID STEAL the 2006-09 Milan's headlights :pout:

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I drove this car in its V6 form back to back with a Camry, and it puts camry to shame.
Save for lacking in the big screen DVD type navigation, if you are OK with Satelitte onstar directions, this car is probably the best sedan in the V6 category. Drives like a dream.
Its composed, interior is quiet and lets only sweet driving noises into the cabin, handles corners really well, has a shiftable auto with pandleshift, the two tone interior with leather is top notch for the class, and the engine is very lively with tons of torque at row rpm. Really nice car.
Looks great too. I am not suprised it outsold the camry.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I drove this car in its V6 form back to back with a Camry, and it puts camry to shame.
Save for lacking in the big screen DVD type navigation, if you are OK with Satelitte onstar directions, this car is probably the best sedan in the V6 category. Drives like a dream.
Its composed, interior is quiet and lets only sweet driving noises into the cabin, handles corners really well, has a shiftable auto with pandleshift, the two tone interior with leather is top notch for the class, and the engine is very lively with tons of torque at row rpm. Really nice car.
Looks great too. I am not suprised it outsold the camry.
I am actually surprised that the Malibu does as well as it does - it has no rear seat room for adults when 6 foot or taller drivers are in the front. The car is extremely cramped for four adults (the Camry isn't). Plus the high beltline design and low roof and narrow windows exacerbates the total effect that the Malibu is a two seater with a sorry excuse of a backseat thrown in. Yeah, the Malibu looks better on the inside, but it is not a superior vehicle to be in if you are carrying real adults. I am NOT a Toyota lover - but I am a realist - the Chevrolet Aveo had more usable rear seat room than the Malibu did.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I am actually surprised that the Malibu does as well as it does - it has no rear seat room for adults when 6 foot or taller drivers are in the front. The car is extremely cramped for four adults (the Camry isn't). Plus the high beltline design and low roof and narrow windows exacerbates the total effect that the Malibu is a two seater with a sorry excuse of a backseat thrown in. Yeah, the Malibu looks better on the inside, but it is not a superior vehicle to be in if you are carrying real adults. I am NOT a Toyota lover - but I am a realist - the Chevrolet Aveo had more usable rear seat room than the Malibu did.
The only Sedan that has as good driving characteristics is the Fusion V6 and it has advantage (the Fusion) in the technology area.
Meanwhile, If you look at the dimentions of the malibu, its not an aveo. It might feel that way though.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I for one will readily admit I am a GM fan, more than Ford. I have driven a Ford Fusion V6 and Hybrid and a Taurus SHO, and they blew me away. Exellent products will kill any import. I have also driven the new Accord
That said, do not under estimate just how good the malibu is. Chances are anyone who looks at a V6 malibu, test drives one aganist anything in the category might take the Malibu home. Its definately superior to the Camry, Accord and Altima.
I do not know about the new sonata, but it completely kills the old one.

With the Fusion V6, its close. The Fusion is are very good product. Nothing from Japan in the Malibu price range can even come close to its execution, and driving dynamics.

This car is good.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Bad news for Ford. The brilliant and multi awarded Fusion cant take the sales from the dead Camry??? Is the Malibu the choice for americans that quit to buy an unsafe Toyota??

Something is wrong here. Is the Fusion-Milan-MK Z advertising working well???

Maybe the Milan or the MKZ is redundant... maybe only 2 cars in the midsize category are enough for Ford.

Mullaly, you have a problem here.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Bad news for Ford. The brilliant and multi awarded Fusion cant take the sales from the dead Camry??? Is the Malibu the choice for americans that quit to buy an unsafe Toyota??

Maybe the Milan or the MKZ is redundant... maybe only 2 cars in the midsize category are enough for Ford.

Hold on there. GM's fleet sales were up 225% last month. I can't find the fleet numbers for individual models yet but I'd wager the big Malibu sales increase was a direct result of that huge fleet increase. By comparison Ford's fleet sales only spiked 154% for the month and their fleet sales were lower to begin with IIRC.

http://www.freep.com/article/20100203/BUSINESS01/2030356/1318/Ford-GM-zoom-as-Toyota-sales-sputter-in-January

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

I'm pretty certain that Fusion/Milan/MKZ sales numbers CANNOT go up
because the Factory is MAXed Out ...unless they go to 'round-the-clock production... which is hard on maintaining quality.

Really hope that when the 'musical factories' are finished setting up for the new C3 & Eucd/CD4(/D4) that will end this BOTTLENECK

1 - 12 of 12 Posts