Ford Inside News banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 Ford Taurus Official Vehicle for Chongqing Mayor’s International Economic Advisory Council
Ford

​CHONGQING, China — The 10th annual Vehicle Delivery Ceremony to the Mayor’s International Economic Advisory Council was recently held at Changan Ford’s (CAF) First Plant. In attendance from the Chongqing Foreign Trade & Economic Relations Commission were Mr. Jiang Mingliang, chief of discipline inspection; Mr. Xiong Lin, deputy director; and Mr. Zeng Cheng, deputy inspector. They joined Mr. Marin Burela, president and CEO, Changan Ford; and Mr. He Chaobing, executive vice president, Changan Ford.

This year, the Ford Taurus, Ford’s latest flagship model in China, was used as the official VIP transportation vehicle for the event. Positioned as a prestigious, smart business sedan, the Taurus will provide consumers all over the world a luxurious experience.

The Annual Meeting of Chongqing Mayor’s International Economic Advisory Council is a high-end international gala, with chairmen and presidents of Fortune 500 enterprises, as well as top global multinationals will be in attendance. Tailored to the business executive, Ford Taurus perfectly displays their achievements and matches their business styles, tastes and values.

The Taurus served the Chongqing Mayor’s International Economic Advisory Council for the first time, bringing a comfortable and prestigious experience to the VIP guests. The powerful and confident exterior of the Taurus is a perfect fit for the guests’ prestige, and the spacious interior is designed to offer a comfortable cabin for the executives. Also available in this model are a host of premium smart features tailored to business professionals, such as the SYNC2 in-car entertainment system.

SYNC2 was built with as an abundant and practical voice-based command center, used to facilitate connection between the car and smart mobile devices. This helps them to contact their business partners, making the Taurus a smart mobile office. The front and rear power recline seats come equipped with a massage function, alleviating fatigue after a long day of meetings. The rear-center console, with fashionable and elegant styling, serves as a channel for passengers in the second row to closely interact with front occupants. Passengers in the rear are provided buttons to control air conditioning, multimedia, and their heated seats. The Active-noise-control system gives guests a quiet environment, comparable to a sound studio.

The Taurus will provide guests of the annual meeting of Chongqing Mayor’s International Economic Advisory Council with service beyond their expectations, on and off the road.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Oh lawd.

2016 Ford Taurus Official Vehicle for Chongqing Mayor’s cousin's uncle's great grandmother.

Maybe the Econ Advisory Council is more important in China than I would understand, but you could make up things to be the official car of all day long, and this at least sounds like one.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still....it just would be odd for Ford to fix the only gripes about the Taurus that held sales back, and then not offer it in the US. Which is mostly the interior packaging as it relates to passenger space and a high hood and trunk that made it hard to see where for front ended, and poor visibility from the rear.

I am certain that Ford won't leave this gaping hole in their lineup. Not expecting the base $27k Taurus consumer to upgrade to a base $50k+ Continental, giving up about 60k sales annually in the US and Canada.

But we will see. Ford has never 'confirmed' what has been written by many about the Taurus. Only that this particular Taurus model(with executive appointments and lower trim dash) won't come to the US. But I expect this Taurus body with upgraded dash and more standard rear seating to come to the US, but AFTER the launch of the MY2017 Continental in 2016.

Have we heard anything from the UAW negotiations about the plant(s) were the MKS/Taurus/MKT/Flex are built?

We know that MKS production moves from Chicago Assembly to Flat Rock as the Continental, and I expect it's platform mate New Taurus. The volume sales of a New Taurus would make the lower volume Continental more viable. Lincoln currently does not have the volume per model to support production of it's own platform in any market.

Flex and MKT are less clear. Flex which helps drive market penetration in CA, the largest US auto market is important to Ford. So dropping the vehicle would be counter productive. I still expect Ford to offer a lighter/leaner replacement, maintaining the big wagon style. Actually the only wagon offering by Ford in the US.

Ford does not give up easily on a design theme, so expect the MKT to also return in a wagon-like form more like the Audi Q7, but with better lines. Leaving an Aviator to have more offload capabilities and ride higher sharing platform with a New or current Explorer.

Note: Thinking of the Continental. We haven't seen the production version yet. And it's been a 12 month cycle between production model debut and hitting dealer lots. Which would mean if we don't see the production version until Nov, then it won't hit dealer lots until late 4th qtr 2016 or early 2017. I have learned that Ford/Lincoln uses the term 'launch' loosely, which does not mean the vehicle is available for sale at that date. For instance, the Continental is scheduled to 'launch' in China in 2016, but it's delivery date is a different story.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
This ship has sailed already. Lincoln confirmed the discontinuation of MKT already in its future product portfolio. The US Taurus will remain in production through the end of 2016 and Continental shares a factory with Fusion so there is no need for Taurus to make it viable. These are things we already know. Flex has been replaced by Explorer, it can go now and will at the end of 2016 along with Taurus and Flex. In the end, Ford is replacing vehicles that are in decline with growth from other vehicles customers have already transitioned to, it'll be alright. Ford doesn't need to be in every segment just because it can, this is still a business.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
imho
it'd be interesting to see a stretched Explorer *with* speed-grooves stamped into the doors and some other Flex-touches...
...just to see how it goes over in Cali and
with non/pre-family customers like 'Rmc'
tho
caN'T see that happening before the platform-change...in 2-or-more(?) years
A few hundred Flex customers per month (and fewer each year) in California does not make a viable business for a vehicle that is not sold at luxury car pricing, remember less than 20% of Flexes built are allocated as Titanium models which means the Flex is primarily sold under $40K. Ford sells more posh Explorers and with 2016 Platinum online the Flex is now a very outdated non-luxury crossover that falls well below a much better selling Explorer. The Flex is well and truly deceased.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A few hundred Flex customers per month (and fewer each year) in California does not make a viable business for a vehicle that is not sold at luxury car pricing, remember less than 20% of Flexes built are allocated as Titanium models which means the Flex is primarily sold under $40K. Ford sells more posh Explorers and with 2016 Platinum online the Flex is now a very outdated non-luxury crossover that falls well below a much better selling Explorer. The Flex is well and truly deceased.
Actually it's the opposite. More Flex models are sold with the higher trim levels.

Californians love it. About a quarter of Flex sales occur in California, where Ford is eager to make inroads, and its polarizing design, reminiscent of iconic wood-paneled surf wagons, is more appreciated.

"You either love it or you hate it," said Lee Dibble, a sales manager and Vista Ford-Lincoln of Oxnard, a coastal city near Los Angeles. "It's one of our top sellers. Lease loyalty on it is very high. People lease it and then come back and get another one."

The dealership sold 19 Flexes in the first eight weeks of the year. Across the country, Tom's Ford in Keyport, N.J., may not sell that many in 2015 and 2016 combined."
The Explorer's revival has "allowed Flex to be this really niche vehicle that people really love when they come into the brand," Zuehlk said.

"With the margins and cost we've engineered out of it, 20,000 units is more than enough to sustain the business," he said. "Flex isn't going anywhere."

·
Registered
95 Posts
If it's true, I still think it's a big mistake to abandon the "larger, mid-size" US Taurus, especially after seeing the great re-designed version for China. They fixed it, but won't let us have at it here? If the Continental is truly going to price out at $70k+ with desired options, I would have replaced my 2005 Five Hundred with the fixed, new re-designed Taurus! Instead, I'll have to wait for the Continental to be out for a while, depreciate a lot, so I can pick one up in the $40k range with low miles. There are several guys like me who think the Fusion is too small, and we need the new Taurus. I'm tired of getting the inferior Impalas on the road from Hertz. They have cheesy interiors, weak performance, and are poor choices in that category. We are ceding more territory to the foreign car companies. The current Taurus isn't selling well because they screwed up use of the interior space and made it cramped and hollowed out with poor visibility. Also, a Sync 3 implementation with retrenching of more regular tactile knobs, availability of tan carpet with matching tan interior (vs. all this lousy two tone - dark carpet and headliner paired with tan interior combos) appears to be in the new China Taurus and fixes problems with current Taurus! Bring it to us in the US!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
761 Posts
2016 Ford Taurus Official Vehicle for Chongqing Mayor’s International Economic Advisory Council
Ford

​CHONGQING, China — This year, the Ford Taurus, Ford’s latest flagship model in China, was used as the official VIP transportation vehicle for the event. Positioned as a prestigious, smart business sedan, the Taurus will provide consumers all over the world a luxurious experience.
Customers all over the world surely this includes the U.S., no?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts