Ford Inside News banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most reliable cars
Consumer Reports

Ford continues to be the most reliable American automaker. Ninety percent of Fords, including Lincoln models, have at least average reliability.

Ford's quality renaissance has been led by the midsized Fusion, which has been very reliable since its debut five years ago. Some new models from Ford have struggled out of the gate, but the hightrim Flex EcoBoost and Lincoln MKT sportutility vehicles rated above average in their first year.

Full text at the link

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thats good news for sure. I know a lot of F150 buyers are kind of "iffy" on the eco boost engine but I have not heard of any troubles with it in the Flex or Taurus SHO. Ford has come light years in about 5 years.

·
Banned
204 Posts
Wow, that was quick.
Did you expect anything different? I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.

good report, not looking too hot for the Germans.... Audi, BMW and Benz all with bad showings...

6 of benz 13 models were rated below average :eek:... but wait, german engineering is superior ;)

Gm and especially Ford are looking good, If GM's new releases stay as good as their recent ones, they will continue to rise even further, really happy to see caddy making strides.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats good news for sure. I know a lot of F150 buyers are kind of "iffy" on the eco boost engine but I have not heard of any troubles with it in the Flex or Taurus SHO. Ford has come light years in about 5 years.
New technologies take a while to be embraced. EcoBoost engines are still kind of a rarity but with the Edge, the Explorer and the F150 they will become more mainstream. News like this will help to ease people's anxieties.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
idk if there is a sales breakdown at all or not but I seem to see more EcoBoost MKS's than regular MKS's

but those are small sales anyway... what would really help is getting the EcoBoost V6 in cars like the MKZ, and the Ecoboost I4 in cars like the Fiesta, and Fusion

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
CR is not serious.

Ford is still doing an excellent Job, based on JD powers recent study. CR is flawed,
I suspect they would go with their preferred brands but the only thing preventing them from doing so is saving face.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Why Europeans finish so bad in this survey? Why people still pay more for those cars and think the Europeans, specifically BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Audi are better cars than Ford?

·
Banned
204 Posts
Why Europeans finish so bad in this survey? Why people still pay more for those cars and think the Europeans, specifically BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Audi are better cars than Ford?
Its called snob appeal and name recognition... Never underestimate the power of these two things(especially in the auto market)

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CR is not serious.

Ford is still doing an excellent Job, based on JD powers recent study. CR is flawed,
I suspect they would go with their preferred brands but the only thing preventing them from doing so is saving face.
Comments like these do much less to increase traffic here than any fight that I may have with anyone here.

How is CR not serous? What do you mean by preferred brands? This is an old and poorly informed bias from the days American brands were at the very bottom and their cars would self destruct after a few miles. If anyone in the industry is to be trusted is CR. CR does not print outside advertising, accept free product samples, or permit the commercial use of its reviews for selling products, they have one of the most complete test tracks in the country and conduct among the most complete and scientific road test you can't think of. You think they are going to go through all this expenditures to favor a few brands just for the sake of it?

Toyota got to the top by their own effort and its losing that place out of their own complacency and arrogance. CR has only reported about it and let consumers know, that's all.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
all you need to do is look at CR's research methodology. Anyone with basic understanding of research methods would not take CR seriously.

We know how many times some people have been banned for messing up forums.
Comments like these do much less to increase traffic here than any fight that I may have with anyone here.

How is CR not serous? What do you mean by preferred brands? This is an old and poorly informed bias from the days American brands were at the very bottom and their cars would self destruct after a few miles. If anyone in the industry is to be trusted is CR. CR does not print outside advertising, accept free product samples, or permit the commercial use of its reviews for selling products, they have one of the most complete test tracks in the country and conduct among the most complete and scientific road test you can't think of. You think they are going to go through all this expenditures to favor a few brands just for the sake of it?

Toyota got to the top by their own effort and its losing that place out of their own complacency and arrogance. CR has only reported about it and let consumers know, that's all.

·
Registered
193 Posts
all you need to do is look at CR's research methodology. Anyone with basic understanding of research methods would not take CR seriously.

What is CR methodology? Im not taking sides here but educate us. I have always been amazed how in almost every single reliability and quality report that mercury and Buick do better than Ford and Chevrolet. They for years were the exact same car with a different grill. I always suspected that the owners were older and thought they bought something upscale when it really wasnt. Plus, they didnt nick pick or drive the cars as hard. Just my opinion of course.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Care to elaborate? What is wrong with CR's methodology?
I said it all the time, TWO. Glad you remember. What does that any of that has to do with Consumers Reports, their methodology or the results or their reliability tests? Way to try to derail another thread.

Something tells me that my questions will remain unanswered, although I am really interested in the first two . . . if that helps you.
What is CR methodology? Im not taking sides here but educate us. I have always been amazed how in almost every single reliability and quality report that mercury and Buick do better than Ford and Chevrolet. They for years were the exact same car with a different grill. I always suspected that the owners were older and thought they bought something upscale when it really wasnt. Plus, they didnt nick pick or drive the cars as hard. Just my opinion of course.
That observation is right on target, for those studies that are based solely on surveys, like J.D. Powers. CR is much more htrough and includes historical data and comprehensive testing.

The historical data has sometimes favored Toyota when it shouldn't and that has created distortion and is what people biased against the independence of CR use to discredit them. But believe me, CR is much more respected than feared by the auto industry.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Consumer Reports Our data are based on an annual survey of subscribers to Consumer Reports and ConsumerReports.org and are not derived from road tests. A model needs at least 100 responses per model year for us to score it.

From the survey, we create a reliability history for each model over the course of 10 years, 2001 to 2010. We use the data, in part, to forecast how well the 2011 models will hold up. We might predict reliability for a newly redesigned model, but only if previous versions had outstanding reliability.
JD Powers and Associates The study, which measures problems experienced by original owners of three-year-old (2007 model year) vehicles, includes 198 different problem symptoms across all areas of the vehicle. Overall dependability is determined by the level of problems experienced per 100 vehicles (PP100), with a lower score reflecting higher quality.

The 2010 Vehicle Dependability Study is based on responses from more than 52,000 original owners of 2007 model-year vehicles. The study was fielded between October and December 2009.
I'm not qualified to determine whether or not CR is biased and I doubt that anyone here is. I do reject the notion that they absolutely can not be biased because they recieve no advertising dollars.

What I believe is indisputable, is the fact that CR recommendations are subject to a limited sample size as well as intepretation (based on their own description above). They operate on a 1-5 scale and it doesn't seem to have a hard set of criteria that determines what score you get (they "forcast" based on unrevealed numbers).

What is also indisputable, is the fact that JD Power's reliability is based on a broader sample size and scores are in absolute terms, leaving nothing to interpretation. Maybe some people don't agree with their methodology of only using 3 year old vehicle numbers, but I think you do have to appreciate that "it is what it is", no forcasting, no predictions, no interpretation, no hidden numbers. It's all right there.

Based on this, I would say JD Power is well more indicitive of actual quality than Consumer Reports.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts