Ford Inside News banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Consumer Reports puts Lexus GX on "Do Not Buy" list due to rollover fears

Consumer Reports has officially given the Lexus GX the automotive equivalent of a black eye. The publication has deemed the high-riding luxury SUV a "safety risk" for its likelihood to go shiny side down during emergency maneuvers, and as such, has put it on the publication's infamous "Do Not Buy" list. During testing, the Consumer Reports crew found that the traction control on the GX would allow the vehicle to slide nearly completely sideways before getting everything in line.
Interestingly enough, there's no mention of any problems with the nearly-identical Toyota 4Runner. Is it possible that all of the luxury goodies you'll find aboard the Lexus add enough pounds to overwhelm the vehicle's stability control, or that the Lexus has significantly different programming? It's possible.
So far, Toyota hasn't said much other than that it's concerned with the Consumer Reports findings. Considering that the Japanese manufacturer has had more than its fair share of bad publicity recently, being blacklisted by CR is just another log on the fire.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/13/consumer-reports-puts-lexus-gx-on-do-not-buy-list-due-t/

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Re: Consumer Reports puts Lexus GX on "Do Not Buy" list due to rollover fears

Now they issued a stop sale...

It seems Toyota's learned a few things from its recent spate of recalls – react quickly, react decisively and repeatedly reassure customers that their safety is a top priority.

To that end, Toyota has issued a stop sale on the 2010 Lexus GX 460 after Consumer Reports deemed the SUV a safety risk earlier today and added the 'ute to its "Do Not Buy" list.

According to Toyota, the automaker is investigating CR's claims and using the consumer pub's testing methodology to determine how the SUV's emergency handling can be improved. Furthermore, any 2010 GX 460 owner concerned about their vehicle's safety will be provided a loaner vehicle from Lexus until the automaker can find a solution. Full details in the press release after the jump.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/13/toyota-issues-stop-sale-on-2010-gx-460/

·
Registered
38 Posts

I don't think they're more defective than anyone else's cars. They just happen to be getting caught more right now. Also today Acura recalled the entire run of ZDXs (and NOT for being ugly), but you don't hear so much about that. If there was a Toyota right now that I wanted I'd buy it, but bargain hard.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

just heard on TV News that Lexus is SUSPENDING SALES of the GX460

...sounds to me like even TM thinks they're "more defective than anyone else's cars"
:yikes: < Yikes!

...also sounds to me like TM doesn't know what the Heck they're doing

edit--------------------
you know what's most disturbing after thinking about this for me?
TM only "took steps" after an utter 'rag' like CR dissed the defecticle™
THEY DIDN'T KNOW BEFORE???
ie TM still doesn't give a **** about it customers!

·
Registered
5,028 Posts

Bahhhhh.... Toyota will give some incentives next month and americans will go crazy and buy that junk without care about the quality or safety concerns.... American people dont understand what kind of vehicle are buying. Only care about money and incentives.... The Toyota Motor must be severy punished by the government . Toyota must stop to build dangerous vehicles. And must stop to say lies to the public.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts