1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Consumer Reports says Ford's quality is slipping
By Dee-Ann Durbin, Tom Krisher
MSNBC

DETROIT — Quality should be Job 1 at Ford again.

The brand's ranking fell 10 spots in Consumer Reports' annual auto reliability survey, hurt by glitchy touch screens and transmissions. It now ranks 20th out of 28 major brands, based on a survey of the magazine's subscribers.

The Dearborn, Mich., automaker had been closing the quality gap with Japanese brands in recent years, but it may need to take its own advice from a 1980s ad campaign, in which it told viewers that "Quality is Job 1."
Japanese automakers continued to dominate the survey's top rankings. Brands from Toyota, Honda and Mazda held the top nine spots in the 2011 study, while Chrysler's Jeep was the top brand from a U.S. automaker. The Chrysler brand showed the most improvement over last year.

The findings are based on surveys taken this spring of subscribers who own or lease 1.3 million vehicles of model years from 2002 to 2011. The magazine uses the findings to predict reliability of 2012 models.
Consumer Reports ranks No. 3 on the list of information sources Americans use in choosing vehicles to buy, topped only by brand loyalty and recommendations from friends and family. The magazine released its annual survey results Tuesday in Detroit.

At Ford, magazine subscribers found problems with the MyFordTouch and MyLincolnTouch dashboard control screens, saying they froze or were difficult to use, said David Champion, senior director of auto testing for Consumer Reports. The screens control cabin temperature, the radio and other functions. Also, the company's new small cars, the Focus compact and Fiesta subcompact, have new automatic transmissions that shift often and awkwardly, Champion said.

Although most of the transmission problems were rated as minor, many subscribers said the cars seemed to shift at will, especially at low speeds, Champion said.

"It's as if it's got a brain of its own," he said. "I think a lot of people think there's something wrong with it."

Full text at link

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
"It's as if it's got a brain of its own," he said. "I think a lot of people think there's something wrong with it."

Wait, so these people who "mailed in" (In other words it was not scientific) these reports wanted a automatic transmission that does not swift on its own?

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
well, imho if features-or-technology don't DO what people want
actually do what they DON'T Want
there's a problem in the company's thinking & development process

It's like the old joke about German car mfgs = "Ve vill do it this way and You vill LIKE it ... Or Else"

plus
there were some photos posted at BON (got a link in some thread here) of new Focuses whose doors don't close properly

and posts about horrible paint quality

I kinda expect a toning-down of the 'cheerleader' persona that imho One Ford has had for a little while now
(yes, Mr. M. I'm thinking about you)

salesmanship, or "sizzle-manship", can do great things at times
IF
you don't don't believe the spiel yourself

·
Registered
414 Posts
I hated the transmission in the Fiesta I had as a loaner for a couple days. Based on the issues with my Flex (My Escape, with over 120k miles has been nearly flawless by comparison) I will not buy a car with Powershi[f]t or MFT (SYNC was a huge disappointment in my Flex, and was only fixed by a "patch" that came out after putting up with it for a year).

I hope Ford does not screw up with the Fusion and Kuga.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
With manufacturers looking for more and more ways to jack up their MPG numbers, I think you will see more of these issues like this.
They have a choice to program the transmission for MPG bragging rights, or for owner comfort. They chose MPG, and I hope it is something that can be completely corrected with a reprogramming.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Perhaps we should all stop and look at who's actually doing the testing, and the methods they use to do so.

This isn't an unbiased organization after all, proven time and again. This outfit is Japan Inc.'s outlet. They couldn't even rate a child car seat, remember?

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Those reports are based on "car defects reported by customers"
. I think that MyFordTouch is too complex for some customers. Maybe, the system is "more smart than the car's owner".... Maybe the Ford fail is not to have a trainer program for those cuastomers that are not tech fans.

The automatic transmision is a problem that Ford has for years. My 2007 Explorer needed a reprograming work for the transmision, and now work very good...

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Perhaps we should all stop and look at who's actually doing the testing, and the methods they use to do so.

This isn't an unbiased organization after all, proven time and again. This outfit is Japan Inc.'s outlet. They couldn't even rate a child car seat, remember?
These aren't the magazines tests...these are compilations of surveys sent out to their subscribers.
If a customer feels his transmission is not programmed correctly, he would consider it a quality issue. This does not mean that the trans. would break earlier, just that his experience with the car is degraded because of this. It may also dissuade him from reccomending the car to a friend.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I understand the skeptism people have here about Consumer Reports because some of their ratings I don't understand or agree with, but I will say that Consumer Reports is not the only place you will find criticism of Ford's dual-clutch transmission. You will find in every discussion of the Focus in car reviews that they have a problem with the transmission and MFT. I myself test drove a Focus, and it felt like driving in molasses until the car warmed up. I've read many discussions about the transmission and MFT on Focus discussion boards where people are reporting problems and issues with the transmission even after warming the car up and having thousands of miles on the car. Ford's response is that it is normal while occasionally sending out a TSB with an update that hasn't totally fixed the problem. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to buy a car that has such evident issues with such an important part of the car. Ford has big plans for the next Fusion, but if they have that dual-clutch in there, they are not going to have the sales they were hoping for. I know that the sales of the Focus has dropped, and I wonder if people have found out about the transmission. I know you guys are big Ford fans, but if you think this stuff is over-hyped then be prepared to go back to the old days when Ford was LOSING billions.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I understand the skeptism people have here about Consumer Reports because some of their ratings I don't understand or agree with, but I will say that Consumer Reports is not the only place you will find criticism of Ford's dual-clutch transmission. You will find in every discussion of the Focus in car reviews that they have a problem with the transmission and MFT. I myself test drove a Focus, and it felt like driving in molasses until the car warmed up. I've read many discussions about the transmission and MFT on Focus discussion boards where people are reporting problems and issues with the transmission even after warming the car up and having thousands of miles on the car. Ford's response is that it is normal while occasionally sending out a TSB with an update that hasn't totally fixed the problem. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to buy a car that has such evident issues with such an important part of the car. Ford has big plans for the next Fusion, but if they have that dual-clutch in there, they are not going to have the sales they were hoping for. I know that the sales of the Focus has dropped, and I wonder if people have found out about the transmission. I know you guys are big Ford fans, but if you think this stuff is over-hyped then be prepared to go back to the old days when Ford was LOSING billions.
This friend sayid something interesting about the Focus "sales slump". Maybe the transmision have something to do with that ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
This sucks soooo bad.

Ford's Quality perception is taking the heat as a result of some unsatisfactory dealership practices.

1) Sales personnel didn't do a good job of explaining the MyTouch features and didn't explain the different feel of the transmission on a test drive

2) Service personnel opened up service tickets on the above when owners had questions. They should have explained the systems or sent them back to the sales department.

3) Customers thought there was/is something wrong so they indicated a problem on the independent survey used by CR.

All of this could have been avoided.

Unfortunately an explanation doesn't make headlines or sell magazines.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...Ford has big plans for the next Fusion, but if they have that dual-clutch in there...
I fully expect the new Fusion's PowerShift/DCT to have significantly improved 'feel'

This friend sayid something interesting about the Focus "sales slump". Maybe the transmision have something to do with that ?
imho the soft Focus sales are more about lack of availability - a few more months' increased production are necessary to be sure.

I don't mean to downplay recent problems with either of these comments
&
it won't surprise me for the My_Touch software to be the most difficult to 'fix'

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
My insurance agent has an '11 Mustang V- 6. He's complaining about his transmission.:yikes:
(sorta forgot to say)
I have misgivings about adaptive transmissions in general, the ones that are SUPPOSED to learn how you drive.
Imho a default setting really should satisfy 90% of all drivers and only get better from there

&
Ford rushes to fix gearbox problems, but not quickly enough for Consumer Reports - Autoblog
By Zach Bowman - Posted Oct 27th 2011 1:59PM

Consumer Reports recently cited issues with the PowerShift dual-clutch transmission in the Ford Focus and Ford Fiesta as one of the primary reasons behind the automaker's fall from grace in its annual Car Reliability Study, but according to The New York Times, the automaker has already worked to solve most of the problems with the gearboxes. Ford has issued a number of technical service bulletins designed to improve drivability at low speeds. On September 13, Ford sent its dealers a bulletin describing how to reprogram the powertrain control module for "smoother acceleration, reduced hesitation, better low-speed drivability and improved shift scheduling."

In addition, a separate bulletin sent out on September 2 specifically dealt with harsh gear changes in the Fiesta. Like its larger sibling, dealers were instructed to reprogram the transmission for better performance. Still, those fixes come too late for Ford in the Consumer Reports' report. We'll have to wait until next year to see if the changes improve the Blue Oval's ranking.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Rented a new Focus while visiting my mother in FL in September. We both hated it, which prompted her to turn in her old Aerostar on a new Fusion, which she loves. IMO, a very good buy on her part - that Ford has a very good reliability rating. Hope they don't screw up the next-gen Fusion and Escape - my wife and I need at least one four-door in the family next time around. No more two-coupe household for us!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Why did she hate the new Focus?
I have a Fusion Sport, and I have driven several new Focii, at various trim levels, and I actually like it slightly better than my Fusion. Nothing to hate on Focus for me anyway.
The seats were uncomfortable in several 30 minute drives we took...very uncomfortable. The transmission couldn't seem to find the right cog. The hatch cover had really cheap strings...one of which was already broken - even though this was a rental car, you could tell those shoddy strings wouldn't last long on anyone's car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Most of the people have trust in brand which their family and friends suggest. Very few of them have the technical knowledge about the vehicles. Good performing car of bike or any vehicle gain a good market in the auto industry.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts