Ford Inside News banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Continental Concept Represents Next Step in Rejuvenation of Lincoln Brand
Lincoln | By Chris Rahi Kassab

The Lincoln Continental Concept revealed recently at the New York Auto Show is a strong indicator of where the Lincoln brand is going – and the future is bright, according to Kumar Galhotra, president, Lincoln Motor Company.

“The Lincoln team is rejuvenating this very iconic brand in North America. At the same time, we’re introducing the brand in China,” he said. “With the introduction of the Lincoln MKZ, MKC, MKX and now the Lincoln Continental Concept, we have a lot of momentum.”

The journey to revitalize the Lincoln brand began in 2012 with the launch of the Lincoln MKZ. At that time, Lincoln promised four all-new vehicles by 2016. The Continental Concept hints to the final of the four, an all-new flagship sedan, which will launch next year.

Galhotra said the decision to use the Continental name for Lincoln’s all-new sedan concept and production vehicle “changed everything” for studio designers and members of the engineering community.

“Continental is a very iconic name that brings with it a lot of responsibility. We had to develop a car that could truly carry the name, but at the same time we couldn’t let the name take us too far into the past,” he said. “In the end, I think the team did a fantastic job finding that balance of providing a truly modern vehicle that also embodies the spirit of the Continental name.”

In creating the Continental Concept, Galhotra said the team listened very carefully to luxury clients.

“Luxury clients in general are very successful, driven and busy people, and what we are finding is that the very things that make them successful take precious time away from them and their families and friends,” he explained. “They want the latest and greatest technology, but they want it presented to them in very intuitive ways. So while a lot of our competitors talk about ‘the machine,’ we focused on how the technology can help our clients.”

As an example, Galhotra points to the Continental Concept’s patented 30-way seats that conform to passengers’ sizes and shapes.

“How can the seat help the client? It can be much more than a place to sit. It can conform completely to an individual’s shape. It can help you get in and out of the vehicle, and it can provide massage features for long drives,” he said. “Also, while driving, most of us rest our right leg at a different angle than our left. What if the seat cushion was so customizable that it perfectly supported each leg individually?”
Another example is the Continental Concept’s E-latch door.

“Instead of having to pull on the door handle, what if it was a completely effortless experience that reacted to a very gentle touch? And instead of it looking very utilitarian with the door pocket, what if it just seamlessly blended into the door molding and provided a really beautiful clean surface on the body side of the doors?” asked Galhotra.
Galhotra said the Continental Concept represents the future of “quiet luxury.”

“The combination of a very beautiful, elegant car with an effortlessly powerful powertrain and a very serene interior makes for a driving experiencing that is very rejuvenating,” he said. “That’s what quiet luxury means to us.”

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another example is the Continental Concept’s E-latch door.

“Instead of having to pull on the door handle, what if it was a completely effortless experience that reacted to a very gentle touch? And instead of it looking very utilitarian with the door pocket, what if it just seamlessly blended into the door molding and provided a really beautiful clean surface on the body side of the doors?” asked Galhotra.
Galhotra said the Continental Concept represents the future of “quiet luxury.”

It sounds like a version of the E-latch will make it to the production Continental.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
..."we have a lot of momentum...”
momentum . . . r i i i ght
like the attached animation

...Galhotra said the decision to use the Continental name for Lincoln’s all-new sedan concept and production vehicle “changed everything” for studio designers and members of the engineering community...
this is why I recommend that Mercury, even if they don't build one-by-Name for sale;
have a top-secret In Studio "COUGAR" to act as inspiration/soul/lodestone for the designers
(( and maybe more important: the '''Approvers''' ))

...In creating the Continental Concept, Galhotra said the team listened very carefully to luxury clients.

“Luxury clients in general are..."
quite individualistic
:facepalm:
I hope they realize that CHOICE is the Greatest LUXury

...“The combination of a very beautiful, elegant car with an effortlessly powerful powertrainS and a very serene interior makes for a driving experiencing that is very rejuvenating,” he said. “That’s what quiet luxury means to us.”
see my last comment

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
It has always been said that the path to the rejuvenating of Lincoln is slow and steady. You never rush a good thing or try to have everything all at once. So far that path has been good. With the Continental as an indicator of where the brand is going that path just became very interesting and exciting. I am so proud of the Lincoln Motor Company.

·
Registered
867 Posts
It has always been said that the path to the rejuvenating of Lincoln is slow and steady. You never rush a good thing or try to have everything all at once. So far that path has been good. With the Continental as an indicator of where the brand is going that path just became very interesting and exciting. I am so proud of the Lincoln Motor Company.
I agree that the Continental will be an important step forward for Lincoln as a brand, especially if the recently revealed next-gen Taurus is a China only model, as announced.

I have seen no evidence that there is any real separation of the Lincoln Motor Company from the Ford Motor Company. Therefore, I am pleased that the Ford Motor Company has made the decision to have Lincoln take the lead in their big sedan plans.

·
Registered
629 Posts
“Continental is a very iconic name that brings with it a lot of responsibility. We had to develop a car that could truly carry the name, but at the same time we couldn’t let the name take us too far into the past,” he said. “In the end, I think the team did a fantastic job finding that balance of providing a truly modern vehicle that also embodies the spirit of the Continental name.”
Good that he understands this ... just need to actually make sure it is put INTO action. So many times, carmakers have said similar, then failed to execute..... *bites tongue*

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"All your lies somehow left me blind" __ George Ducas __ 'Lipstick Promises'

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
It has always been said that the path to the rejuvenating of Lincoln is slow and steady. You never rush a good thing or try to have everything all at once...
just-imho
any slower & Lincoln would be going backwards, like:
momentum . . . r i i i ght
like the attached animation
:D

...imho
you're prolley impatient (& have EVERY right to be) becuz of the amazingly slow pace of Lincoln introductions.

Other than refreshments (from Navi's facelift/bootylift)
to platform replacements (Z and someday soon but Not YET: X);
they've only have ONE allnew (whitespace) vehicle (C) ...IN HOW LONG???
:toetap:
like since the MKT came out (?)iirc............................................

1 - 7 of 7 Posts