1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 5K
2017 12K
2018 9K
Pre-introduction interest showed 40,000 potential Continental customers. How many, like me, were driven away due to the restrictive series and option choices?
No navigation available unless you upgrade the series. Oversized and overly expensive wheels and tires on higher series Continentals. All designed to get you to spend more money and generate more profit.
Lincoln would have sold more Continentals, made more money and had happier customers if they truly understood what customers want.
Navigation should be standard or available on all series. 17” or 18” wheels should be available on all series.
Forcing buyers to 19”-20” wheels and tires that create poorer ride and traction, and that add thousands of $ up front and through the life of the vehicle drives customers away.
So, instead of making a couple of bucks more by forcing customers to buy higher series to get navigation and sticking them with less desirable wheels/tires, they might have made many more bucks selling a few thousand more Continentals. End of rant.

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
The idea is to sell more product to those who don't want to spend more or can't by having a much lower entry price of $46K. Nothing wrong with that at all and it works great. Sales are hardly suffering because people have to check more boxes to get everything they want for their $80K, especially when Conti offers great value.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The issue for me is requiring upsized, expensive, inferior wheels and tires in order to get navigation. Ford would have made more sales and more money it had offered navigation and 18” wheels and tires on all series!

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
The issue for me is requiring upsized, expensive, inferior wheels and tires in order to get navigation. Ford would have made more sales and more money it had offered navigation and 18” wheels and tires on all series!
Ford is putting effort into reducing complexity of options, by minimizing or lumping them together. They base that obviously on research that suggests what the most popular combinations look like. Obviously, that means fewer customization choice. The bad news for the customer, is that you often have to spend more to get what you want. The good news for Ford, is that you usually have to spend more to get what you want.

Can't have it all I guess. And if you did, where would you put it.

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
YTD Continental is at 1, 355 as of April. At that rate 2019 sales could reach 4k for the year. Did the Lincoln flagship sedan ever get the 8-speed transmission that the entry level CUV is getting? Has Ford set the termination dates for the 7 year old Fusion/MKZ or the 9 year old Taurus or 12 year old Fiesta yet? If sedans are so devoid of porfit, why is Ford still making these dinosaurs?

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
YTD Continental is at 1, 355 as of April. At that rate 2019 sales could reach 4k for the year. Did the Lincoln flagship sedan ever get the 8-speed transmission that the entry level CUV is getting? Has Ford set the termination dates for the 7 year old Fusion/MKZ or the 9 year old Taurus or 12 year old Fiesta yet? If sedans are so devoid of porfit, why is Ford still making these dinosaurs?
When did Ford say that Conti is not profitable?

Asking for a friend.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

Continental not getting the 8 speed yet is pretty ridiculous but from what I have seen the Taurus already ended production. Fusion is supposed to continue into next year. Not sure on the Fiesta yet but the Focus has been removed from ford.com

Reactions: Bloggin

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Continental not getting the 8 speed yet is pretty ridiculous but from what I have seen the Taurus already ended production. Fusion is supposed to continue into next year. Not sure on the Fiesta yet but the Focus has been removed from ford.com

Maybe the Continental doesnt get the 8 speed because the platform cant get it. I'm sure if Lincoln could do it he would have done it

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
The Nautilus got the 8 speed, even though it's technically a refresh and still on the CD4 platform.

I'm crossing my fingers we keep the Continental no matter what.

I hope they keep both the Continental and the MKZ and rename the latter. If the Fusion stays on as a raised up wagon like the outback that could potentially keep the MKZ around.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Last I checked, updating transmissions is usually aligned with product cycle upgrades, like Nautilus got. You don't just drop it in when available. Come on people.
True but the MKX was updated after 3 model years (becoming Nautilus), I was hoping the Continental would also get updates after 3 model years out. According to the 2020 fleet preview guide, it has no changes.

As for Continental sales, China bought more in 2018 than here in the us so while the numbers look low, we need to keep that in mind in regards to volume.

BTW the Continental webpage is already advertising for the 2020 Coach Door edition! Still the same pics of the prototype though.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Last I checked, updating transmissions is usually aligned with product cycle upgrades, like Nautilus got. You don't just drop it in when available. Come on people.

Ford has had a history of updating engines/transmissions in the past when available like the 2010 Mustang where it carried over engines and transmissions and then the following year got all new engines and transmissions. Also Continental just got a coach door edition and could have dropped the 8 speed then. Come on Wings.

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
Ford has had a history of updating engines/transmissions in the past when available like the 2010 Mustang where it carried over engines and transmissions and then the following year got all new engines and transmissions. Also Continental just got a coach door edition and could have dropped the 8 speed then. Come on Wings.
What product got JUST a transmission upgrade.
Never happened to the best of my recollection.

Come on Andrew.

Also,
the Nautilus was heavily updated to have a cohesive design language. That is a major driving factor - by itself. Adding two more gears is hardly a driving factor. There is virtually no benefit.

And Ford never stated Conti was not profitable. Especially when you are selling a lot at high trim level.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Wingnut —-
That’s hard to defend when they offer navigation for fleets on the base series. So, it’s not a complexity issue. I believe the stockholders would have been happier if they sold 20,000 a year, don’t you?

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
Wingnut —-
That’s hard to defend when they offer navigation for fleets on the base series. So, it’s not a complexity issue. I believe the stockholders would have been happier if they sold 20,000 a year, don’t you?
There are 4 trim levels, each with increasing levels of luxury. The base Standard trim includes 89 features, but does not include Navigation. Yes, you have to step up to Select with a $49,945 MSRP that now has 102 features, including voice activated Nav and yes, 19" wheels.....by checking a box.

For reference, An A6 starts at $58,900, and yes, it does include Nav. The CT6 starts at $50,495, and yes, it does include Nav. So just to be clear, I believe you stated that Lincoln lost your sale......because you were given the OPTION of not getting Nav for much less than the competition. I really don't get your complaint here. Of course Lincoln can throw in Nav as standard and move the entry point North quite a bit. But they must believe that a few more sales inspired by a lower entry point, can offset the very few temper tantrums thrown by people who are angry that they have to check an extra box to get it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Price was not the issue. Wheels and nav is the issue. I want Nav but not the wheels. Just that simple. I say they would sell more Continentals if they had offered Nav on all series or made the larger wheels optional. Trying to force upgrades to undesirable wheels in order to get Nav drives customers away.
And, like I said, it’s not a complexity issue. Nav is offered to fleets on all series.

·
Registered
273 Posts
My biggest issue with Lincoln (and I guess other brands) is how limiting it can be to build a car sometimes, especially with the paint and wheels. I get limiting options on the least expensive trim levels, but if I'm getting a Reserve or Black Label Continental, I want to be able to get ANY of the available paints and colors and wheels.....

Same thing with the interior. Sometimes you cant pick a certain interior based on the exterior paint. Like....what is the point of these limitations?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts