Ford Inside News banner

Cruel joke or new 'Merc'?

Tags
cruel joke merc
13K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  nruggiero 
#1 ·
from Versa-Tech @ BON
Sources say: that Ford is considering on reviving Merc[ury] as it's premium brand. That's not a typo either, as word is (err... documented proposals) that, what was once, Mercury will now be referred to as "Merc" in official speech Though the Mercury name will still be represented, when written... but only on documents, as Merc[urie]s [going forward] will only be defined as such by logo and design language. Sound crazy? I'm sure my sentence structure helped :p ...as was the intention

This proposal also ...proposes (LOL)... that the Lincoln brand be phased out, or reduced to a single architecture... err model.

I know, blasphemy... but so was the whole round earth idea. Could this "Merc" be the luxury brand we wished lincoln could be?.. or is this just a load of crap?

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry but I don't buy it one bit

#3 ·

or
THUD!

&
it's a bit ahead of my Mercury: Mission 2020 timeline
&but
Lincoln without a Continental doesn't really EXIST anyway

&tho
if they boost the luxury & features & styling on all the F-Awd's
add a "Lincoln-worthy" Mustang-co-platformed COUGAR
and just have the GRwdP Continental as the only Lincoln car

(don't personally CARE about the Navidinosaur)
IT COULDN"T BE ANY WORSE

#6 ·
Sorry dude...this is just a cruel joke. I just can't see it happening.

An interesting arrangement would be for Lincoln to become more of an "American Audi" with AWD sedans and CUVs spun off "premium-fied" versions of FoMoCo FWD platforms (although Lincoln's engines would still be mounted transversely instead of longitudinally) and reviving Mercury (sorry, but reducing it to "Merc" is just plain ridiculous) for a pair of RWD sport sedans (compact and midsize) spun off the next gen Mustang platform. Mercury would simply be a slightly upmarket sport sedan niche brand. Ford would get a next gen Mustang coupe/convertible (compact) and new gen Thunderbird coupe/convertible (midsize) while a resurrected Mercury would get XR-4 (compact) and XR-7 (midsize) sport sedans. Meanwhile, Lincoln would drop the silly "MkWhatever" model designations in favor of actual model names, create 2 separate drop dead gorgeous overall design languages for its sedans and CUVs, and develop competitive AWD luxury vehicles on stretched and "premium-fied" versions of FoMoCo FWD platforms. This won't happen either, but I think it's an interesting idea.

#7 ·

or
THUD!

&
it's a bit ahead of my Mercury: Mission 2020 timeline
&but
Lincoln without a Continental doesn't really EXIST anyway

&tho
if they boost the luxury & features & styling on all the F-Awd's
add a "Lincoln-worthy" Mustang-co-platformed COUGAR
and just have the GRwdP Continental as the only Lincoln car

(don't personally CARE about the Navidinosaur)
IT COULDN"T BE ANY WORSE
Does FoMoCo have access to the "Continental" name anymore since Bentley is using it?

#8 ·
Sorry dude...this is just a cruel joke. I just can't see it happening.

An interesting arrangement would be for Lincoln to become more of an "American Audi" with AWD sedans and CUVs spun off "premium-fied" versions of FoMoCo FWD platforms (although Lincoln's engines would still be mounted transversely instead of longitudinally) and reviving Mercury (sorry, but reducing it to "Merc" is just plain ridiculous) for a pair of RWD sport sedans (compact and midsize) spun off the next gen Mustang platform. Mercury would simply be a slightly upmarket sport sedan niche brand. Ford would get a next gen Mustang coupe/convertible (compact) and new gen Thunderbird coupe/convertible (midsize) while a resurrected Mercury would get XR-4 (compact) and XR-7 (midsize) sport sedans. Meanwhile, Lincoln would drop the silly "MkWhatever" model designations in favor of actual model names, create 2 separate drop dead gorgeous overall design languages for its sedans and CUVs, and develop competitive AWD luxury vehicles on stretched and "premium-fied" versions of FoMoCo FWD platforms. This won't happen either, but I think it's an interesting idea.

They have invested way too much into Lincoln now anyway to close it down. For Example Lincoln Automotive Financial Services which was opened last month which is a division of Ford Credit for Lincoln vehicles. Not to mention all the dealers paid off to take down their Mercury signs and leave their Lincoln signs up.. it just makes no sense what so ever.

#9 ·
They have invested way too much into Lincoln now anyway to close it down. For Example Lincoln Automotive Financial Services which was opened last month which is a division of Ford Credit for Lincoln vehicles. Not to mention all the dealers paid off to take down their Mercury signs and leave their Lincoln signs up.. it just makes no sense what so ever.
There's no reason for FoMoCo to close Lincoln down. FoMoCo just needs to seriously follow through on their commitment to transform the brand. I think the restyled 2013 MkS is a promising first step.

#14 ·
I beleive Mercury will be back as soon as Alan Mullaly goes away.
I can see Mercury coming back, but not with Mullaly on top.
I'm rather surprised you two are so sure Mr. M. is the obstacle.
Can't say you're wrong - just I have no reason to see him as the sole or even main cause.

&
Quote Of The Week ... on Lincoln's facebook

by "Cass P"
Lincoln has done a great job filling in the gap left by Mercury.
Unfortunately, they haven't found anything to replace the true Lincolns...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.