Ford Inside News banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
GM updated the CT6 and gave it an incredible new 4.2 TT V8. 550HP and 627 ft lb of toque. It's likely the engine in the new Mid-engine Corvette. That's a torquey beast for sure, way out spins the GT. Should make a great Escalade engine. It would also make for one helluva a Raptor beater. This is definitely one class of engine we know Ford is not developing.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I liked the CT6 before, this update is great, and the engine is very interesting! Surely that will turn up in the next gen Escalade and Aviator competitor whenever the get around to that segment. I've read that they also significantly upgraded the interior to it should be very competitive... even if it still doesn't sell well.

Cadillac can't seem to sell cars in NA, but **** it if they don't build some really special cars.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It sounds like Ford may finally have a powerful RWD platform to base some outstanding products on, but whether Lincoln gets to fully utilize it or not is another story. This is also the first time GM is really upstaging Ford on engine design, I've been waiting for this GM to comeback...they just have to apply that to more than just their flagship projects.

The amount of product coming out of GM is just incredible, I've never seen so much coming out of a single automaker in so short a time span. It's just a reminder that things can turn around very quickly for a determined company. Ford will be back soon.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
It sounds like Ford may finally have a powerful RWD platform to base some outstanding products on, but whether Lincoln gets to fully utilize it or not is another story. This is also the first time GM is really upstaging Ford on engine design, I've been waiting for this GM to comeback...they just have to apply that to more than just their flagship projects.

The amount of product coming out of GM is just incredible, I've never seen so much coming out of a single automaker in so short a time span. It's just a reminder that things can turn around very quickly for a determined company. Ford will be back soon.
The engine sounds amazing and it would be great to have something like that for the Navigator and a performance focused Aviator too! The problem is there just isn't enough volume to justify the type of investment that would be required.

My big question is will this be the standard engine in the next gen Escalade or a V-Sport option? If they put it in standard, which I doubt, it would be a big marketing advantage! It probably wouldn't matter much to most buyers in daily use, but it could help move buyer in Cadillac's direction.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Doesn't out-spin the GT but it certainly out-torques it.

Anyway, this is good; maybe it'll excite/pressure/arouse Ford/Lincoln a little.

Also good because it retains that tacky looking grille. Reminds me of cheap, checkered plate for some reason. Never liked it.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Irrelevant...

The Cadillac buyer don’t care about that engine

The V8 is dead. Only few trucks and some sport cars need it.

The V6 engine in the Navigator, with some help (electrical help?) could overcome that GM monster

If the Lincoln buyer want a gigantic and powerful V8 engine (something I doubt) Ford have the engines of the Mustang to work with it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I just wonder how much money GM has lost on these Cadillac vanity projects that sell only a few hundred per month. GM has made a noble effort but after awhile it's time to cut your losses, which I respect Ford for doing.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I just wonder how much money GM has lost on these Cadillac vanity projects that sell only a few hundred per month. GM has made a noble effort but after awhile it's time to cut your losses, which I respect Ford for doing.

Hundred per month? I calculate that there must be some tens...

·
Registered
866 Posts
"The Cadillac buyer don’t care about that engine"

Seems that the idea of trying to attract buyers who are not "Cadillac buyers" or "Lincoln buyers" never crosses the mind of those who think that they want to grow their brand.

"GM has made a noble effort but after awhile it's time to cut your losses, which I respect Ford for doing."

Can we really say with a straight face that Ford has made a noble effort with Lincoln? Aside from the brand new Navi, halfhearted effort seems more appropriate.

I'm a vet who wants to buy U.S. iron. Cadillac makes plenty of cars that I could salivate over (RWD-based 4-door sedans) but I won't buy GM, period (forget FCA). So, while I wait for Lincoln to come to their senses by attempting to attract customers other than "Lincoln buyers," I will continue to buy CPO BMWs and drown my sorrows over my unrequited love affair with Ford.

·
Registered
326 Posts
"The Cadillac buyer don’t care about that engine"

Can we really say with a straight face that Ford has made a noble effort with Lincoln? Aside from the brand new Navi, halfhearted effort seems more appropriate.
I'm glad Ford hasn't wasted money on Lincoln as GM has on Cadillac. The 1990 to 1997 Town Car was the last Lincoln I was enthusiastic about anyway, but I should have been born 30 years earlier.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Edmunds Loyalty Report .Pdf
...Loyalty among luxury brands keeps shrinking, now down to 37% on average...
...Caddy shrank from 43% to 31% since 2007, the biggest drop and formerly one of the most loyal brands in 07...
page 10/12:
Top of the Pack
...(brandX) leads the luxury segment in both car and SUV loyalty (46 percent and 55 percent, respectively). Though the brand doesn’t boast a reputation for flashiness or performance, its renown for comfort and reliability resonates with owners. Two of X's enduring nameplates, the ## and ##, bolster the brand's loyalty immensely. (brandA), on the other hand, has made massive strides in market share and that success has been matched by soaring loyalty levels. The same push in design and appointments that has expanded A’s market share has also helped keep existing owners in the fold. brandA has the luxury segment’s second highest loyalty for both cars and SUVs behind brandX (44 percent and 54 percent, respectively)
Bottom of the Pack Shows Promise of Improvement in the Near Future
brandN’s loyalty levels have been on the rise but still significantly trail the luxury average. Encouragingly, N’s growing lineup of SUVs has proven to be more effective than its cars at keeping owners in the brand (26 percent SUV loyalty; 19 percent car loyalty). As these nameplates take root, they can cultivate future loyalty for the brand. brandR, with strong sales growth of late, is waiting for some positive movement on the loyalty side. Its first SUV, the ###, has become a landing spot for many competitor trade-ins but hasn’t yet swayed the brandR loyalists. With more time — and more SUVs on the horizon — R can expect loyalty to grow as their owners settle into the new diversity of model options.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts