·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 Cadillac CTS-V First Drive: Video | Page 2
MotorAuthority

By Nelson Ireson
July 31, 2015

...In other words: the CTS-V is damned good. Really damned good. Better than the BMW M5/M6, and even better than the venerable (and soon to be replaced) Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG. Better on track, at the least, and, if you can get past or get used to the CUE infotainment system, better on the street, too.

No, I’m not going to persuade you to give up your brand loyalty. And the M5/M6 and E63 are all great cars, with their own strengths and weaknesses. But on the whole, having driven all of them, I like the CTS-V more, both for its performance and for its high-tech, luxurious comfort. The styling question, I leave to the aesthetes; it should suffice to say that I’m just fine with the angular, crisp lines and somewhat less fine, but not ultimately bothered by, the too-much-chrome bits.

Ultimately, the Cadillac CTS-V is not a mainstream luxury car, it won’t sell in high volumes, and it isn’t the car that will establish Cadillac as a world leader in either the performance or luxury segments. What it is, however, is another high-profile rung on its ladder to success, and taken together with the ATS-V, plus the standard CTS and ATS the V-series cars are based on, a rounding out of the full luxury/performance vehicle profile the brand needs to really take on BMW, Mercedes, and Audi—and win.

If Caddy keeps doing it like this, 20 years from now, we might just be talking about the German comeback cars seeking to dethrone the reigning Americans.

Attachments

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and swiped from wescoent @ GMI...

2016 Cadillac CTS-V:
A Glorious 640 HP Exercise In Overkill

Jalopnik

Jason Torchinsky | 7/31/15

I’m coming into this review pretty conflicted. Not about the car — the new Cadillac CTS-V is an extremely impressive vehicle, and I’ll cover why in plenty of detail — I’m conflicted about what this car actually means both to Cadillac and to us Americans, as people. It’s not bad, necessarily — well, here, we’ll just talk through this...

...I think maybe something was lost when Cadillac decided it was going to be an American BMW. It’s not blind nostalgia — I don’t think those old ‘70s and ‘80s Sedan de Villes and Sevilles were better cars — they sure as **** weren’t. But they did fill a niche that is considered embarassing today. When did everybody become such driving experts? Are people who buy a CTS-V really going to take these things to the track? Maybe some will, sure, but if history tells us anything, it’s that the number who’ll really use what this car is capable of will be tiny...

...In the process of becoming such potent and capable car, if I have to figure out what actually is lost, it’s something so intangible I have to analogize it like this: in college, in my dorm, was a guy that shows up in almost everybody’s dorm. He was a doughy, funny, friendly goofball who seemingly existed just to sit on his ass and drink beer with you.

I liked him, and I liked his self-deprecating humor; in the shared bathroom, he’d look at his pliant, pasty physique in the mirror and say, “perfect human specimen.” Then he’d see if you were around later to get loaded.

Now imagine you meet this same guy 15 years later and he’s a chiseled adonis who earned so much money he’s a full-time philanthropist now, when he’s not flying the hoverpod of his own design to do volunteer work in Haiti. He’s smart, witty, handsome, and has an abdomen that people have their photos taken with. He’s unquestionably better than he was before, in every possible way.

Now, which version of this guy do you think you’d actually have a better time with? Be honest...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I really like this shot - just wish the car was black/dk.gray and lightpipes were on

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
If Caddy keeps doing it like this, 20 years from now, we might just be talking about the German comeback cars seeking to dethrone the reigning Americans.
And there is the truth regarding Cadillac and Lincoln, even if they build the flat out best vehicles on the planet it's going to take a long time to overcome the inertia behind the German brands. They spent a lot of time digging their perspective holes, they're not going to fill them back in overnight.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
CTS V: kicking German ass since 2004.
Depends on how you define "kicking ass". This is the first CTS-V that could be said is the best in all ways, as a performance sedan, and as a premium luxury sedan. The previous CTS-V was more of a traditional American muscle car, it did not come close to including the refinement that existed on similar German performance sedans, this new car is a revelation in that it has matched, and in many ways exceeded them!

Few will ever own one, myself included, but damn it feels good seeing an American engineered and built vehicle come out on top in such a highly competitive segment!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Well, they apparently got this version sorted better...though the last one, with the manual and the wagon option, were as close as I've gotten to wanting a modern Caddy.

That said, this one starts with the Etch-a-Sketch styling and adds Pep Boys body panels to it. I'm sure some engineers could explain the functions of everything, but Caddy still can't achieve the "all of a piece" styling that so many of their target competitors manage.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Well, they apparently got this version sorted better...though the last one, with the manual and the wagon option, were as close as I've gotten to wanting a modern Caddy.

That said, this one starts with the Etch-a-Sketch styling and adds Pep Boys body panels to it. I'm sure some engineers could explain the functions of everything, but Caddy still can't achieve the "all of a piece" styling that so many of their target competitors manage.
Styling is soooo subjective. All of the added appearance/performance visuals look far more integrated and less aftermarket on the new car vs the previous. I know some liked the previous generation's harder edged look, I do too, I just like the more restrained appearance of the new car more. To my eyes the new car looks equally aggressive while still looking like an adults vehicle.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Styling is soooo subjective. All of the added appearance/performance visuals look far more integrated and less aftermarket on the new car vs the previous. I know some liked the previous generation's harder edged look, I do too, I just like the more restrained appearance of the new car more. To my eyes the new car looks equally aggressive while still looking like an adults vehicle.
I dunno, the "ribbed for your pleasure" hood alone kills the "adult vehicle" concept for me.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
I dunno, the "ribbed for your pleasure" hood alone kills the "adult vehicle" concept for me.
The previous V also had the boy racer hood bump. With the new V and 640HP I'll forgive them if the engine requires more breathing room. If it's not required then I agree, it's a bit much for my taste, but in the end function has to come before form in such cases.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Depends on how you define "kicking ass". This is the first CTS-V that could be said is the best in all ways, as a performance sedan, and as a premium luxury sedan. The previous CTS-V was more of a traditional American muscle car, it did not come close to including the refinement that existed on similar German performance sedans, this new car is a revelation in that it has matched, and in many ways exceeded them!

Few will ever own one, myself included, but damn it feels good seeing an American engineered and built vehicle come out on top in such a highly competitive segment!
Kill on performance and they sell well for the segment. The Vs have always been more about raw performance and in your face styling which differentiate them from the others in the segment. A plus because V owners are very loyal and conquest sales are very good.

·
Registered
628 Posts
The previous V also had the boy racer hood bump. With the new V and 640HP I'll forgive them if the engine requires more breathing room. If it's not required then I agree, it's a bit much for my taste, but in the end function has to come before form in such cases.
My statements about the previous V's styling were even more about the "Etch-a-Sketch" approach Caddy's been staining their line with for several years, now. However well it may resonate with some, their sedan sales have been consistently disappointing.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'll wait for the test when they have all three cars on the same day at the same track review before claiming the CTS V is better than the other two.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I don't doubt the ability of this CTS-V and I applaud GM and Cadillac for building it. But Christ Almighty the as tested price on these are through the roof! I don't think Cadillac is ready to charge over 100k for their cars.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^ not like they haven't tried this before, Andrew
wiki: XLR
"...The XLR-V went on sale in the United States in early 2006 with a base price of $110,000. Pricing for the 2008 model started at $111,300..."

of course that MAY bring up the old definition of insanity:
doing the same thing (over & over) while expecting diff results

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
^ not like they haven't tried this before, Andrew
wiki: XLR
"...The XLR-V went on sale in the United States in early 2006 with a base price of $110,000. Pricing for the 2008 model started at $111,300..."

of course that MAY bring up the old definition of insanity:
doing the same thing (over & over) while expecting diff results
Oh I know the XRL did but we all know that turned out.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
^ I'd be interested in knowing (tho not trying to look them up myself
)
the sales numbers for the XLR ... to compare them with current Cadillacs (including but not limited to the ELR re-
)
Well... lol

XLR:
2003 - 875
2004 - 3,665
2005 - 3,730
2006 - 3,203
2007 - 1,750
2008 - 1,250
2009 - 787
2010 - 188
2011 - 12