Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Alex (below) is foreshadowing one of his in-DEEPth video reviews about the CX-5
but until I find it...

NetCarShow

#TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsZoomZoom
Alex On Autos @ Facebook

The deeper I dig into the CX-5 the more impressed I am.At $24,095 starting this is one of the few new cars that I could recommend in base trim. Sure it's still missing goodies like adjustable lumbar support and auto climate control but Mazda managed to straddle the fence with surprising precision. Alloy wheels, LED headlamps, the 7-inch infotainment system, autonomous braking, keyless go, and cruise control are all standard. Color me impressed and color mine "Soul Red" please.

Zoom-Zoom is not the same as Zip-Zip...
Alex On Autos @ Facebook

The Honda CR-V is faster to 60 and holds the road better than the Mazda CX-5 yet somehow it's not quite as fun as the Mazda. That said, the two crossovers are my top picks for 2017 for essentially the same reason. (I'm giving a little away ahead of the upcoming video.) The CX-5 is not really the "performance CUV" that some folks want it to be, but that's not a bad thing because instead Mazda has made one of the most well-rounded crossovers on sale today. It's incredibly attractive, comfy, fun to drive, the interior is easily one of the best under $30,000 and topping out at around $32,000 it's also budget friendly. However as some of you pointed out, it's just not "fast". So that begs the question: If "Driving matters" as Mazda says, how do you feel about an 8.1 second 0-60 time when a CR-V will do it in 7.3?

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
they must have one of the smallest screens on the market?

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I took a look at the new CX-5, it really looks good inside and out. Interior feels more upmarket too. Good Job Mazda.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Ford Edge is killing it with that dope dashtop glovebox, so much smooth black plastic continuously wrapping all surfaces framed in silver painted plastics. Now this is what a $50K SUV should look like! Mazda shouldn't be charging so little for an interior wrapped in stitched leathers, that's just tasteless, they should be saving it for their ultra premium trim on their luxury brand.

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
So the all new CX5 is a skosh bigger than Escape, and much smaller than Edge.

A quick price check,

loaded Escape AWD Titanium is around $31.5K
loaded Edge AWD Titanium is around $39.6K
loaded CX5 AWD is $36.5K

The Escape offers a lot more power and towing. As does the Edge.
Sorting through the feature set, looks like Ford has quite the leg up there as well.
Mazda looks good, but Escape looks better. Especially wheels.

Mazda will offer the Diesel, but that will probably put them at around $40K.

I would just take MKC instead.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
So the all new CX5 is a skosh bigger than Escape, and much smaller than Edge.

A quick price check,

loaded Escape AWD Titanium is around $31.5K
loaded Edge AWD Titanium is around $39.6K
loaded CX5 AWD is $36.5K

The Escape offers a lot more power and towing. As does the Edge.
Sorting through the feature set, looks like Ford has quite the leg up there as well.
Mazda looks good, but Escape looks better. Especially wheels.

Mazda will offer the Diesel, but that will probably put them at around $40K.

I would just take MKC instead.
Loaded Escape is $38K
Loaded Edge is $48K

But you're absolutely accurate on the CX5 pricing. Funny how that works sometimes.

Sincerely,

-Your local fact checker

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
So I missed then added the top Sony Sync3 with Nav option, and that took top trim Titanium Escape with top engine, AWD and top equip package to $32,365. Very similar level to Mazda, which I could have easily added much more to. Avoided a few Escape things that jack the price up (and not offered in Mazda) like the $1500 roof or the $700 bright 19" wheels (Mazda stops at Fugly 17"), etc.

And again, the Titanium Edge with AWD and the top equipment group box checked ($5,500) is $39,665. Sure, I guess you could load it further North of that, with the Sport and it's powerful engine, etc.....but the Mazda is already so heavily disadvantaged with it's weak 187hp top engine, that I thought to be fair.

Funny indeed.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Dude, you loaded the CX5 up but not the Fords...and then you said "Loaded" for both? You're just outright misleading everybody, that's NOT acceptable and I will call it out, especially when it's obvious.

Your opinion based facts aside, you have a good point about the engines and that's all you need to say. The Mazda is cheaper for a reason and you didn't need to mislead.

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
I loaded up (2) Titanium trimmed Fords with their top equipment packages and primary luxury options and the prices are right from their website, relatively similar to Mazda in offerings.

An Edge Sport with it's 2.7L, massive wheels and massive roof has nothing to do with anything here at $50K. The Mazda simply offers less with it's wimpy wheels, engine and features.

Consider yourself called out.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I loaded up (2) Titanium trimmed Fords with their top equipment packages and primary luxury options and the prices are right from their website, relatively similar to Mazda in offerings.

An Edge Sport with it's 2.7L, massive wheels and massive roof has nothing to do with anything here at $50K. The Mazda simply offers less with it's wimpy wheels, engine and features.

Consider yourself called out.
Nope, the Titanium prices upto $48K "LOADED".

You literally priced up the NOT-loaded Titanium models for each.

But sure, just pivot away per the usual when getting called out.

BTW, wanna get back to that Escape comparison again because you know the CX5 is not an Edge.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts