Ford Inside News banner

David Woodhouse resigns

9K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  wingsnut 
#1 · (Edited)
Reactions: badhac
#4 ·
It must be very hard to be a designer.
I wonder what top designers from the 50's thought when their tailfins and dramatic side creases were replaced with the rounded smooth sided muscle car looks of the 60's.
Likely the same thing that the 60's designers thought when the mid 70's to mid 80's brought squared off K-cars, Fairmounts and Chevy Impalas.
Not saying that designers cannot change with the times, but I am sure it would be frustrating to be told that your best work does not fit the direction the brand is going.

#5 ·
The more important question here is why? Is a "cost cutting" issue? Lincoln is in a process of rebirth and the design as well as the quality of its interiors are basic to this successful process. Will this resignation have to do with some discrepancy between the designer and Lincoln's board regarding the quality /cost of the interiors and the overall design of the new Lincon? Any other reason other than this, does not matter much.

The design languaje of Lincoln without Woodhouse will be the same, maybe with some new details. That is not relevant.

#7 ·
The design languaje of Lincoln without Woodhouse will be the same, maybe with some new details. That is not relevant.

You sure? What's to stop them from hiring someone else who thinks the brand should go in yet another direction.

#9 ·
After Lincoln's turnaround, I have no doubt his phone has been ringing a lot. I'm betting he got an offer he couldn't refuse. As long as he doesn't land at Cadillac, I say good for him if that's the case.

#14 ·
I see you've been hanging out on GMI :-(

Reactions: SP1966
#15 ·
#20 ·
The article said he'll be the head of Nissan AND Infiniti design.

Given that piece of info, this move actually isn't all that surprising.(Although the abruptness/timing is).

I'm sure David's hire was more about reviving Infiniti, especially as they head into their next generation of designs. Seeing as he almost single handedly changed the direction of Lincoln with a few key products, the Nissan/Infiniti directors are probably salivating at the thought of what he can do to reignite Infiniti.

David sure did one heck of a job for Lincoln, and he helped define a new direction for the brand all while keeping the brand identity intact (Cadillac are you listening!?) and for that he should be extremely proud!

My favorite Woodhouse design:

#22 ·
Woodhouse is going to Nissan/Infiniti where he has more freedom designing the 'future' of transportation, without being held back by the history of last century. Based on the Nissan/Infiniti concepts, Woodhouse will be designing for the future that looks nothing like the past. Along with being able to design something other than a big box on wheels that looks like all the other big boxes on wheels.

I see Ford pushed the Fusion out to 2021 now as consumers push back on higher SUV prices and the competiton benefits from higher compact sedan/hatch back sales.

Ford/Lincon is rapidly becoming their grandparents car brand.

#24 ·
Woodhouse is going to Nissan/Infiniti where he has more freedom designing the 'future' of transportation, without being held back by the history of last century. Based on the Nissan/Infiniti concepts, Woodhouse will be designing for the future that looks nothing like the past. Along with being able to design something other than a big box on wheels that looks like all the other big boxes on wheels.

I see Ford pushed the Fusion out to 2021 now as consumers push back on higher SUV prices and the competiton benefits from higher compact sedan/hatch back sales.

Ford/Lincon is rapidly becoming their grandparents car brand.

Fusion will be dead by 2020... in America. No more Fusion. No more sedans. Sedans are not profitable (at least for Ford) rigth now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.