Ford Inside News banner

Design Elevates 2016 Lincoln MKX 2.7L AWD

9K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  mercury_1988 
#1 ·
Design Elevates 2016 Lincoln MKX 2.7L AWD
Detroit Free Press | Aug 27, 2015

A stunning interior elevates the ★★★ 2016 Lincoln MKX Black Label SUV, the latest step in Lincoln's long march back toward relevance in the luxury-car market.

The new MKX has a roomy and luxurious interior, especially in Black Label livery, Lincoln's new premium trim designation. It's also comfortable and fuel efficient.

A couple of usability glitches mar the picture, but this new version of Lincoln's midsize SUV can compete with luxury SUVs like the Acura MDX, Audi Q5, BMW X5, Cadillac SRX, Infiniti QX70, Lexus RX 350 and Mercedes ML 350.

MKX prices start at $38,100 for a front-drive model with a 303-hp 3.7L V6. All-wheel-drive models start at $40,595. All MKXs have a six-speed automatic transmission.

The console area of the 2016 Lincoln MKX includes USB ports, but the voice-recognition system is lacking.

An optional twin-turbo 2.7L V6 costs $2,000. It's rated at 335 hp and 380 pound-feet of torque, although those figures come with a significant asterisk. Keep reading.

I tested a well-equipped MKX 2.7L AWD Black Label with a large power sunroof; Revel audio; heated and cooled front seats; navigation; Bluetooth phone and audio compatibility; automatic braking; pedestrian detection and blind spot alert; adaptive cruise control; front and rear parking cameras, and more. It stickered at $63,700. All prices exclude destination charges.

MKX prices are comparable to similarly equipped competitors.

The exterior design builds on the previous model but is sleeker, longer, wider and lower. The MKX shares its architecture with the Ford Edge, but there's no visual similarity. The two SUVS don't share a single piece of exterior sheet metal or any visible interior parts, save the touch screen in the center stack.

The interior of my car was gorgeous. The Black Label trim package included an Alcantara headliner, beautiful Chilean maple wood, black leather seats and saddle-brown leather on the doors and dash. That's one of four striking Black label color and material packages.

The front seat has plenty of storage, but its usability suffers due to a nearly useless little compartment that holds the front seat's only 12-volt power outlet. It's located below the front of the console between the two front seats. It's hard to reach, difficult to see and very inconvenient for mobile phones. The center console has two much more conveniently located USB ports and a couple of larger and more accessible bins.

The audio and climate controls consist mostly of simple dials and switches. The touch screen reproduces some of those functions and adds controls for navigation, the massaging front seats and other goodies.

Despite being an all-new vehicle, the MKX doesn't have Lincoln's latest voice-recognition system. It's inconsistent and slower than the that of the best competitors.

My test car's optional 2.7L bi-turbo V6's 335 hp topped all the competitors, except the supercharged Audi SQ5. The MKX's 380 pound-feet of torque beats them all.

Unfortunately, you need to use 93 octane gasoline to get that output, a fact that Lincoln hides in a footnote on its spec sheet after saying in larger, more obvious type that less expensive 87 octane gasoline is the minimum required fuel.

Based on the power claims Ford makes or the same engine in the Edge, the obfuscation is unnecessary: The 2.7L Edge is rated at 315 hp and 350 lb.-ft. without premium. That output would still put the MKX ahead of all competitors save the SQ5 and QX70.

Read more over at Detroit Free Press

See less See more
#2 ·
DFP must be a small time newspaper based upon that video. How ridiculous is it to be shooting exterior video and not be using a tripod? The camera is moving all over the place, I've seen more professional work from teenagers on Youtube!

Nice car though, love the interior colors and materials!!

#4 ·
DFP must be a small time newspaper based upon that video. How ridiculous is it to be shooting exterior video and not be using a tripod? The camera is moving all over the place, I've seen more professional work from teenagers on Youtube!

Nice car though, love the interior colors and materials!!
Yeah....and spending so much time complaining about where the old school 12v cigarette lighter plug was to plug in a phone, when there are two high speed Smart USB ports in the console between the seats. lol

#5 ·
A good exercise in how to annoy the viewer.

Poor video quality - Check
Poor audio quality - Check
Watching people fumble with a simple task - Check

Regarding the USB ports for charging, they tend to be low wattage and slow to charge and will turn off when the car is off unlike the 12v port. And MFT/MLT will automatically switch to USB Media when a device is connected and start playing....and with all the useless options available in the system, switching autoplay off is not one of them. Anyway, using the USB port in a Ford/Lincoln should be less cumbersome.

#6 ·
started by posting just for the title:...

"How Luxurious 2016 Lincoln MKX Can Actually Get?"
automobilereviews.com
(blog imho)
Posted by Georgi Boychev on 17 June 2015

2016 Lincoln MKX will not only come with some wonderful performance features, but also will demonstrate how the master craftsmanship will define the overall quality of the vehicle. In fact, customers of the Lincoln MKX cite overall quality as #1 purchase reason for the well-known crossover.

There is a study, made by the Luxury Institute and Epsilon, suggesting, that 74% of the wealthy customers believe, that the highest quality is the most important thing in a vehicle, along with the superior craftsmanship...

Meticulous Attention to Detail Elevates Craftsmanship of next Lincoln MKX
LuxuryInstitute.com

June 16, 2015

Overall quality is the top purchase reason for the Lincoln MKX, matching a study that shows 74 percent of wealthy consumers believe superior quality is a luxury product’s most important attribute

The new Lincoln MKX medium crossover, on sale this summer, reflects increased focus on attention to detail and improved craftsmanship in subtle executions.

Advanced models along with a state-of-the-art virtual reality lab are complemented by Lincoln craftsmanship engineers who meticulously pore over vehicles.

Craftsmanship helps define the overall quality of any luxury product. Customers of the Lincoln MKX, for example, cite overall quality as their No. 1 purchase reason for the medium crossover.

“Part of the role of the craftsmanship team is to address the intangible elements of quality – how the space makes you feel, your reaction when you get in and experience the vehicle.”

This desire is seen beyond automotive as well. A study by the Luxury Institute and Epsilon finds that 74 percent of wealthy consumers believe that superior quality is the most important attribute of a luxury product, followed by superior craftsmanship.

The new Lincoln MKX, on sale this summer, elevates craftsmanship by subtly fusing form and function, sometimes in areas not immediately seen or felt by the customer.

“Craftsmanship sits between the worlds of engineering and design,” said Stacy Swank, Lincoln craftsmanship supervisor. “Our role is to bring those worlds together to enhance the experience for the customer. We like to think that if you don’t notice what’s been done, then we’ve done our job.”

Some “hidden” improvements to the 2016 Lincoln MKX include:
•Foam was added to the wrapped console side panels, providing a softer area for the leg to rest, and also added to the door armrests and steering wheel
•Extra strength was added to the dead-pedal area – where a driver rests his/her left foot – to make the area more firm...
•Scuff materials in the door and tailgate were upgraded to stainless steel, which is more resistant to scratches and helps maintain a beautiful appearance

The 2016 Lincoln MKX offers available Bridge of Weir® Deepsoft leather, created specifically for Lincoln seating surfaces. Bridge of Weir Deepsoft leather goes through a 16-hour softening process, which is a considerably longer process than most automotive leathers. A hand-sewn and -stitched Wollsdorf® leather-wrapped steering wheel is available on higher-series vehicles.

The center console was redesigned to improve functionality while elevating craftsmanship.

The armrest includes a two-button clamshell execution. This arrangement allows for one button to open only the flocked storage with the tray and the other to open the main bin, creating a versatile storage option.

To increase the crafted appearance, the gooseneck hinge arms that connect the armrest and clamshell tray to the hinge are hidden.

Throughout the interior, the smallest areas were upgraded to higher levels of craftsmanship. To create a cleaner appearance where the A-pillar meets the headliner, for example, a 2.5-mm indent (the thickness of a couple of dimes) was created on the inside of the joint. This allowed the materials to align better.

Lincoln craftsmanship engineers review data at computer-aided-design stations, experience the vehicle in a virtual lab and pore over prototypes to help ensure quality. In the interior of the new Lincoln MKX, for example, there are more than 1,200 interfaces.

Reducing margins and eliminating sharp edges, cut lines, parting lines and visible fasteners – while using genuine wood and metal – drives fit and finish.

“The data, the science and the math help ensure everything fits together correctly and address the tangible elements of quality,” said Swank. “Part of the role of the craftsmanship team is to address the intangible elements of quality – how the space makes you feel, your reaction when you get in and experience the vehicle.”

...think we might be back at the beginning
UNLESS this really began from a
Media.LINCOLN.com press release
YUP!

#11 ·
Having had my 2016 MKX for over a month, I can say I am very pleased with its performance and looks. The 22 way seats are wonderful ! I do get the feeling its longer and wider than my 2011 version. I have been running 87 octane fuel - around town close to 20 mpg, and highways 24+ mpg.
The Choice of Normal, Sport and Comfort in ride are available, some how I just picked Normal and its fine. Should you want a quick getaway - just push the "S" button, and the 2.7 engine will respond with more power than you can use. Here are some Photos - The LED Headlights are very bright, an improvement !

Attachments

#13 ·

2017 Q5 looks to be more designed more like a lower height station wagon.......

like the bigger 7 passenger 2016 Q7 Wagon.....

Which looks a lot like the current 7 passenger MKT

And a lot less like the 2016 MKX CUV....

Which means Audi does not have an actual 7 passenger SUV, and this is where Lincoln can take the lead, especially in China where SUVs are selling big.

Navigator, Aviator SUVs and MKX, MKC CUVs.

#14 ·

2017 Q5 looks to be more designed more like a lower height station wagon.......

like the bigger 7 passenger 2016 Q7 Wagon.....

Which looks a lot like the current 7 passenger MKT

And a lot less like the 2016 MKX CUV....

Which means Audi does not have an actual 7 passenger SUV, and this is where Lincoln can take the lead, especially in China where SUVs are selling big.

Navigator, Aviator SUVs and MKX, MKC CUVs.
If Audi is moving to shorter, more wagon like CUVs then its not by chance. The clearly have reason to believe that easier ingress/egress is valued highly among their customers. If Audi is ahead of the curve, then Lincoln is well behind it, or not.

#15 ·
Every morning I park near this exact MKX, same color, same trim, etc. And every morning I find myself staring at it as I walk on by. It really is a great looking CUV (best in class imo) that looks much better in 3d than it does on an internet pic, and it is perfectly sized and I adore it. And every morning I build one in my head (price wise), which uses the tried-and-true 3.7L and AWD and little more than that. These are luxury cars standard, and more than most need in the first place, afaiac. The opulence of a BL is nice and all, but I simply don’t lust after something that adds so much cost just to feel marginally better. Anyway, I could drive one home for about $37K, with employee discount. It’s a compelling thought, and a worthy candidate, when I trade in my Explorer Sport, as I rarely need the 3rd row any more. Kids both drive as well as all their friends. Cars are everywhere in my drive way. No shortage of seats anyway.

#16 ·
If Audi is moving to shorter, more wagon like CUVs then its not by chance. The clearly have reason to believe that easier ingress/egress is valued highly among their customers. If Audi is ahead of the curve, then Lincoln is well behind it, or not.
Audi is ahead of the curve, especially in the diesel engine developing... :angel

#18 ·
Which would mean that Lincoln was too far ahead of the curve with the current MKT, but a new MKT would hit the mark for the near future. Especially with the growing aging population, that can't easily climb in and fall out of a taller CUV/SUV. And in China and other countries where the grandparents are part of the household, easier ingress/egress will be valued in a 7 passenger vehicle.

#19 ·
Every morning I park near this exact MKX, same color, same trim, etc. And every morning I find myself staring at it as I walk on by. It really is a great looking CUV (best in class imo) that looks much better in 3d than it does on an internet pic, and it is perfectly sized and I adore it. And every morning I build one in my head (price wise), which uses the tried-and-true 3.7L and AWD and little more than that. These are luxury cars standard, and more than most need in the first place, afaiac. The opulence of a BL is nice and all, but I simply don’t lust after something that adds so much cost just to feel marginally better. Anyway, I could drive one home for about $37K, with employee discount. It’s a compelling thought, and a worthy candidate, when I trade in my Explorer Sport, as I rarely need the 3rd row any more. Kids both drive as well as all their friends. Cars are everywhere in my drive way. No shortage of seats anyway.
Back in early July when the 1st MKXs started arriving in Oregon, I visited two local dealers several times to view the MKX and started the process of repeatedly building & pricing a vehicle, both online & in my head. You're correct in that the MKX grows on one aesthetically over the competition the more often it is viewed in person. After reading many reviews, I ordered a Select Plus AWD 2.7 on July 24. While I appreciate all the available tech, I simply do not feel that most of the tech options satisfy any of my driving requirements excepting the very practical BLIS and the rear camera/warning system which I have on two other vehicles in my stable. Also, perhaps unlike you, I am intrigued by the all the diesel/IndyCar/NASCAR tech rolled into the 2.7 engine and went that route. My only concerns as I await delivery are reports of production delays and QC issues, e.g. fit & finish, body panel alignments, and the recent recall for the A-pillar interior panel warp, etc. At an invoice of ~ $45,000, I'm hopeful of a satisfying ride.

#20 ·
I love my 2016 Lincoln MKX, just picked it up Yesterday. Regarding proportions of the vehicle, it is notably longer and lower than the previous MKX and does feel noticeably lower than neighboring SUVs. That's also true of the Edge, although visually it looks taller because it has a shorter 'taller' look with that high-hipped design. The MKX is one of the few Crossovers that specifically aims to visually lower and widen the rear which sorta confuses the 'SUV' identity inherent with Crossovers of this ilk.

The height of the vehicle probably has more to do with fuel economy and platform attributes. Carmakers would probably prefer to bring them closer to the ground to improve performance and economy while shoppers still prefer to sit higher. So somewhere you meet in the middle for accessibility among countless engineering objectives.

The MKT doesn't really have packaging issues but it's probably too low to the ground for its size so it just doesn't appeal to customers (the design doesn't help). I don't think people are specifically seeking out Crossovers that are lower than other SUVs however, they are looking for attractive designs and spacious packaging and amenities. I would not describe the Audi SUVs as wagon-like, certainly not in the same way the MKT or Flex are very distinctly Wagon-like (along with Venza or Cross-Tour).

Personally I still think the SUV ideal is the Jeep Grand Cherokee or BMW X5, so I'm a little disappointed to be moving away from that aesthetic at Ford and Lincoln but I'm not complaining with this MKX. My assumption is that the next Explorer and Aviator will follow the trend of other Ford SUVs which is to be lower and more efficient, or stay close to the current Explorer which is relatively low to the ground already. Lincoln may lower that further as they did with MKX vs Edge. So once MKT is discontinued, the Aviator should slot in perfectly for those few customers while Navigator will remain the big tall mama-jama.

#22 ·
I'm really hoping the Aviator has an adjustable height feature
where it can automatically lower with speed
+ offer fixed height settings (lo-med-hi)**
and after that they expand the feature to All Lincolns(& Mercurys
)

** lo & med might need a defeat sensor for midwest-deep potholes
It seems quite possible that they could implement such tech, they've done it before, haha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.