Ford Inside News banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DESIGNER HIGHLIGHT: JENNIFER HEWLETT

As part of an image overhaul for Lincoln, the brand imagined its latest concept car, the MKT, as an example of guilt-free luxury, a seeming contradiction in terms. Jennifer Hewlett, 28, a color and materials designer, was tapped to come up with an appropriate interior.
At the College for Creative Studies in Detroit, Ms. Hewlett studied industrial design, fine arts and furniture building, gaining experience in working with wood, metal, fiber, ceramics and glass, and particularly in learning about how to relate such materials to one another. “It’s one of the crucial points of a vehicle, all these materials coming together and harmonizing,” she said.
Her previous work included color and materials for the 2009 MKS.
“When the new MKS was coming out we thought it would be a really good match for her because of her taste level, her sense of style, as well as her skills,” said Susan Sage, the color and materials design manager at Ford.
It was because of the success of those vehicles that Ms. Hewlett was chosen to be part of the team that designed the 2007 MKR concept car and now the MKT, Ms. Sage said.
Ms. Hewlett said that with the MKT, her design inspiration was a feather. She tried to bring the lightness, translucence and layering of a feather to the colors in the passenger cabin, while using earth-friendly materials, like a rug made with banana fibers.
The stained oak veneers come from recycled oak, already found in some other Lincolns. The MKT’s leather is made using an organic tanning method, free of harsh chromium additives.
Ms. Hewlett said she liked using these organic materials and processes because, “It’s something that makes our customers feel good about the products they are buying.”

NYT LINK

·
Registered
19 Posts
Holy Crap!:eek: That's my roomate's girlfriend! (My roomates and I also work at Ford)
She's really cool and knows what she's doing. She did most of the materials in the MKS, as you can read. If you guys have any suggestions, I could pass them on to her.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Welcome, Typhoon5000!
great to have another Ford employee on the forum!

Funny how the internet can so easily lead to the unexpected :)
& (since you asked)
here's my MKS interior suggestion
or - better yet,
maybe invite Jennifer here - if she has time? (a 'nom-de-net' is fine ;))

edit/ps
she ought to read this review - it'll make her feel appreciated!

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Holy Crap!:eek: That's my roomate's girlfriend! (My roomates and I also work at Ford)
She's really cool and knows what she's doing. She did most of the materials in the MKS, as you can read. If you guys have any suggestions, I could pass them on to her.
that is great. We try to look at Ford's upcoming talent. I have seen a lot of great things said about the MKS Interior as its greatest strength, and I think Mbuku may have observed the same thing, hence this story.
I think SobeSVT is the one that started the idea of focusing on Ford Designers and we have featured quite a few. Most recently we are seeing the young ones doing great things.
We welcome insights from anyone at Ford as long as they do not violate the Ford communications policies. We are Ford fans and place company interests first!!!
So, yes, please have her coment on the Ford interior here from her perspective without the usual marketing spin!!!
And perhaps tell us what we should expect going foward...

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The MKS is the best Ford interior to come from North America in a long time. Congrats to the women who made it happen.

·
Registered
919 Posts
We need to have more people like her make great interior to these great cars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts