Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Detroit: 2015 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S

Power for the Turbo S is generated by a twin-turbocharged 4.8-liter V8 engine that makes 570 horsepower and a massive 590 lb-ft. of torque. The SUV sprints to 60 mph from a dead stop in 3.8 seconds and reaches an Autobahn-worthy top speed of 176 mph. Porsche's Torque Vectoring system helps the Turbo S lap the famous Nürburgring in 7:59.74, the fastest time ever recorded by a SUV.

Read more: http://www.leftlanenews.com/2015-porsche-cayenne-turbo-s.html#ixzz3OeiOyCUC

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
"...twin-turbocharged 4.8-liter V8 engine that makes 570 horsepower and a massive 590 lb-ft. of torque"

The MKX could offer more power with a much smaller/lighter weight 3.5L V6 EcoBoost engine.

Just imagine all that power in this beautiful body with all back cladding in body color.....

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
"...twin-turbocharged 4.8-liter V8 engine that makes 570 horsepower and a massive 590 lb-ft. of torque"

The MKX could offer more power with a much smaller/lighter weight 3.5L V6 EcoBoost engine.

Just imagine all that power in this beautiful body with all back cladding in body color.....

Smoking some serious dope if you think the MKX in any form will approach those power numbers!! But still, reduce those numbers by even 150-200 each and the MKX would still be a fun drive!

·
Registered
287 Posts
While obviously the Porsche is by far technically superior to the X, I have to admit, I actually think the X looks better.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Completely off topic, but how are things in Venezuela these days?
Thanks for asking, SP. The things are very bad. With the oil ( the almost unique export product) price falling fast and sharply, the things come worst every day. The products for daily use , even the food, are falling short at the supermarkets. You can see large people's rows to log in to the supermarkets to try to buy something. Is a nightmare. One rumor running in the social networks is that the president Maduro will be substituted soon by a complete military new regimen.

I see you happy there enjoying the auto show and i think you are very lucky people. I'm thinking in move to Spain soon.

But whatever.... I'm enjoying this autoshow hereby. Ford is giving us many gifts in this NAIAS.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Thanks for asking, SP. The things are very bad. With the oil ( the almost unique export product) price falling fast and sharply, the things come worst every day. The products for daily use , even the food, are falling short at the supermarkets. You can see large people's rows to log in to the supermarkets to try to buy something. Is a nightmare. One rumor running in the social networks is that the president Maduro will be substituted soon by a complete military new regimen.

I see you happy there enjoying the auto show and i think you are very lucky people. I'm thinking in move to Spain soon.

But whatever.... I'm enjoying this autoshow hereby. Ford is giving us many gifts in this NAIAS.
You are a true Ford enthusiast. I hope things get better for you. If you ever plan a visit to the USA, you have a free place to stay in Philadelphia.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
This is a fantastic looking and performing SUV, but in a segment where wealthy moms rule, style is probably the biggest factor in purchase for many. Sure Porsche has the Porsche name, but with the Lincoln being the more attractive (imho) vehicle at THOUSANDS less, I think cross-shopping between the two isn't too far-fetched.

Not to mention, the powertrain options in this Lincoln are no slouches. It's no turbo Porsche, but Mrs. Smith running late to Tommy's practice isn't hitting peak boost any time soon anyways...

I do love the Cayenne, though!

·
Registered
546 Posts
The 3.5 already fits in the MKX. If it is making 600hp in GT tune, and mid 400's in Raptor tune, I'm sure there is room in there for a range of MKX's a la the Cayenne, which could allow for everything from a 425-450hp MKX S to a 500+ hp MKX Red, that is if Ford really does have a RWD biased AWD system. I mean, Jeep didn't have a whole lot of problem moving about 4-5k SRTs a year, and it isn't like Jeep is known for sporting road vehicles.

You've spent the money developing it for multiple vehicle lines, it couldn't hurt to amortize the cost over 4-5k, or more, MKXs. It would be a helluvalot easier, cheaper, and quicker to market than developing an MKR.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
You can squeeze large engines into anything, but can the platform do anything with it? The engine is only one part of that equation. The Edge is a pretty lightweight inexpensive FWD platform, it's hard to scale it up without significant re-engineering which Lincoln doesn't have the means (budget or expertise) to do. And ultimately Lincoln is still working it's way up so there could be a future like that, just not with this MKX (or the current customers). The Porsche is a $80K+ vehicle after all.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
The 3.5 already fits in the MKX. If it is making 600hp in GT tune, and mid 400's in Raptor tune, I'm sure there is room in there for a range of MKX's a la the Cayenne, which could allow for everything from a 425-450hp MKX S to a 500+ hp MKX Red, that is if Ford really does have a RWD biased AWD system. I mean, Jeep didn't have a whole lot of problem moving about 4-5k SRTs a year, and it isn't like Jeep is known for sporting road vehicles.

You've spent the money developing it for multiple vehicle lines, it couldn't hurt to amortize the cost over 4-5k, or more, MKXs. It would be a helluvalot easier, cheaper, and quicker to market than developing an MKR.
3.5L GTDI does not fit in either the current Edge, new Edge or the current Fusion or future Taurus. Basically, if it's Fusion based, no D35 GTDI.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
You can squeeze large engines into anything, but can the platform do anything with it? The engine is only one part of that equation. The Edge is a pretty lightweight inexpensive FWD platform, it's hard to scale it up without significant re-engineering which Lincoln doesn't have the means (budget or expertise) to do. And ultimately Lincoln is still working it's way up so there could be a future like that, just not with this MKX (or the current customers). The Porsche is a $80K+ vehicle after all.
I believe a platform has to be designed to fit a large engine to fit a large engine, specially a transverse engine FWD-based platform with a short engine bay.

The Cayenne's AWD platform layout is basically that of a RWD platform with a longitudinally mounted engine.
It's longer squarish engine bay can accomodate larger turbocharged V8 engines. (If you take off the plastic cover surrounding the Cayenne's engine, it's actually a big engine bay)

I can't find images of the new MKX and Edge's engine bay, but it's probably the same length and width as the MKZ's engine bay.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

You are a true Ford enthusiast. I hope things get better for you. If you ever plan a visit to the USA, you have a free place to stay in Philadelphia.
Lo mismo conmigo FL, eres una gran persona y un gran fan de Ford y Lincoln, si planeas darte una vuelta por Peru (Lima) no dudes en contactarme aunque yo preferiria la invitacion de gjrip a USA jajaja.

same here FL, you are a great person and Ford/Lincoln fan, if you plan to visit Peru don't hesitate in contact me although I would preffer to choose gjrip invitation to USA haha

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
3.5L GTDI does not fit in either the current Edge, new Edge or the current Fusion or future Taurus. Basically, if it's Fusion based, no D35 GTDI.
where is that almost 400hp non-performance version of the MKX you had talked about?

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I was never bowled over by the Cayenne, and as time goes on I like it less and less. There's just something missing in the design to my eyes.
Is not a good design. Porsche cars ( and SUVs) are not pretty. Only the excelents powertrains, interiors and that badge save its from failure

1 - 20 of 22 Posts