Ford Inside News banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The hits keep coming for the Detroit AutoShow as it has now lost virtually the entire European contingent with Mercedes and BMW backing out of the show. Essentially all the European brands except for VW/Audi have left the show including Land Rover, Jaguar, Porsche, Volvo, and all the ultra luxury marques you can name. Mazda also backed out this year.

Obviously the survival of the show now hinges on a date change.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20180323/RETAIL03/180329796/bmw-pulls-out-of-detroit-auto-show

I've been going to the show every year since 1988 so it's a little sad to see such a yearly ritual nearing its end. I know this year's show was obviously sparse and it's going to be half-empty next year.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The expensive exhibits of the Detroit AutoShow might be what doomed it, it's definitely the nicest Autoshow to attend in terms of exhibits (mostly to take advantage of less space), but most major AuotShows like Chicago and New York are much more old fashioned, usually it's just lots of floor space and lights. So perhaps that's the direction they'll head back to in Detroit. With the exception of Ford, most exhibits (especially Lincoln's) were toned down this year or just recycled.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I think manufacturers want total attention for new releases. It seems less persuavise if a competitor is introducing a similar vehicle at the same show (Silverado and Ram this year). I also wonder if the pressure to meet the show deadline may cause haphazard last minute changes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts