Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
via GMSilverado @ GMI (who provided most of the formatting)

5 Questions with Cadillac CMO Uwe Ellinghaus - BrandChannel

The new heads of Cadillac are in the midst of a grand plan to elevate the General Motors luxury marque to the same neighborhood as the German segment leaders and Lexus.

Cadillac global CMO Uwe Ellinghaus and his new boss, Cadillac President Johan de Nysschen, must carve out a more robust and distinctive identity for Cadillac as a serious competitor at the top of the global luxury automotive pyramid. With his prior experience at BMW, Ellinghaus was in the midst of a desperately-needed brand overhaul at Cadillac—redefining it as a distinctly American luxury brand (not a German wannabe) and preparing a new product nomenclature for the brand—when de Nysschen arrived in August.

Now he has a key partner to execute on the brand's global goals: holding firm on pricing, boosting the customer experience at dealerships, and launching a new flagship Cadillac CT6 sedan and ad campaign—not to mention shaking up the status quo by moving Cadillac headquarters from Detroit to New York.

In a further challenge, Cadillac has seen US sales dip (with dealers already warned that things will get worse before they get better) in a year that sibling Buick has been crushing, despite reaching new heights in China. On the precipice of a crucial year, Ellinghaus discussed the Cadillac brand strategy with Dale Buss of brandchannel.

Interview

1) You've been working on turning Cadillac around for almost a year now. What was your first major contribution?

Ellinghaus: It was to show my bosses at GM that luxury works differently than the non-luxury market. GM has huge expertise in technology and engineering, and financially it is in good shape as well, but they didn't understand that a luxury brand works differently. It's all about focus, continuity and consistency—the sort of secondary virtues that the German brands are so good at. Those are some good ingredients for successful branding.

2) How did you begin to apply that to Cadillac?

Ellinghaus: We needed to establish what Cadillac stands for, and not even a couple of values had been defined. What do we bring to the table and how do we explain to customers why to go with a Cadillac rather than something else? We had to set out positioning that differentiated us from the German brands; you can't build a brand emulating your competitors, and in some ways GM admires these brands too much. So Cadillac was missing a little bit on its own heritage and efforts beyond the distinctiveness of our styling.

3) What was the brand missing in terms of relevance?

Ellinghaus: People didn't know what Cadillac stands for. The previous thought was that we have to go in between the segments dominated by the Germans. But I said we need to right-size our cars and make our nomenclature clear. [GM CEO] Mary Barra herself assigned me to come up with a suggestion for fixing the nomenclature. Future cars will have "CT" and then a number behind it that indicates its size in our hierarchy, and future SUVs and crossovers will have an "XT" and a number.

4) You've talked about restoring a sense of "American-ness" to Cadillac. Give me an example of what you have in mind.

Ellinghaus: Well, our marketing will be less technology-driven than in the past. We will walk away from black cars in all of our communications, because that conveys the opposite of optimism. And we will reinject more vibe into the brand. And if you really don't want the American spirit that this brand embodies, then go to the German brands.

5) I know you believe in Cadillac's well-established design language and that it needs to be refined. In what ways is that happening?

Ellinghaus: We're staying with the vertical front grill and carrying the crest and some other elements forward. But we are adding proportion and presence and stance and muscularity, and looking at things like the size of the "greenhouse" versus the rest of the car. It must be about performance and the future. We don't want to go back to a bigger, more comfort-oriented car of the past. Cadillac will not be the car for a couch potato.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: GM didn't understand...Luxury - Cadillac CMO

I have the distinct feeling that Cadillac's team are (still) talking/concentrating about/on secondary issues (at best);
VERY unlike Lincoln (which imho has its direction & all its 'ducks' spot-on-target)!!
&
all that Lincoln needs is ... more vehicles quicker

·
Registered
621 Posts

I don't disagree with what the guys says, but big Caddies have found plenty of "couch potato" customers for decades. He might be underestimating the American love for a large, powerful car.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts

I don't disagree with what the guys says, but big Caddies have found plenty of "couch potato" customers for decades. He might be underestimating the American love for a large, powerful car.
That kind of goes along with my theory that not all luxury cars have to be European-tuned and athletic. It's amazing that enthusiasts will tear down a car if it does not have those qualities.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

I agree, I think it would benefit Lincoln if they had 1 or 2 sporty vehicles but the largest vehicle whether it be called MKS or Continental I think should push the envelope for comfort first and foremost but it also shouldn't have sloppy handling like a Town Car, it should be confident but comfortable IMO.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

^ &
That kind of goes along with my theory that not all luxury cars have to be European-tuned and athletic. It's amazing that enthusiasts will tear down a car if it does not have those qualities.
I like the tv show 'Castle' (almost all the time) and somehow thinking of its cars: specifically a hired S-class for a trip to The Hamptons and some exotic like/if-not a Ferarri
&
believe there's a bit of "double-think" (see novel 1984*) frequently going on with people pretending the opposite forms of prestige/desireability share anything tangible

( otoh, imho it makes perfect sense that "enthusiasts" are all(mostly)aboutperformance )

otOoh=me, I'd love to see the same ob$e$$ive inve$tment in offerings that don't require breaking speed limits to prove their level of distinction...
...WHAT IF
instead of higher level$ of Msport/M, Vsport/V, S#/RS#(right?) having higher HP / lower 'times' / harsher rides;
they have more/higher-tech electrification (silent) and lower vibration(NVH) not floaty!! but competing to see which car can take the worst road at the legal-limit with the greatest composure
imho ^ way more important for a flagship** than anything having to do with racetrack-like prowess
** actually-iMho,
I'd love to see this applied to EVERY model from SOME(
) Luxury Brand
+ imho
this would be a great way to put the emphasis on the Brand instead of the model cough*MucK*cough...
by having the littlest Lincoln (able to) feel just a 'unflappably'plush' as the largest***
thereby becoming the ONLY Luxury Brand to not have any model that requires a disclaimer...
(...other than RollsRoyce?
)

* Double think is to believe a statement and its opposite at the same time
*** Thanks to Gloria :thumb: for enlightening me to another way to use Lincoln's CCD for instant road-improvement

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts

In other words, Cadillac's plan to be derivative is still on.

It would be nice if Cadillac could get somebody in that understands marketing, understands the market, understands Cadillac, and loves Cadillac all at the same time.

BTW, CT and XT is very original, Uwe! :thumb: (sarcasm)

I never thought people that value comfort are "couch potatoes". Interesting.

·
Registered
621 Posts

I think that cars with genuinely impressive ride/handling balance and "functional luxury" will always be hailed as "European-like", just because the USA produced so many floundering whales from our luxury brands...and for so very long. I honestly hope that the entire USA luxury car effort never returns to those days again.

Frankly, if vehicles don't have competitive amenities, handling, ride, and performance for a given market...they deserve to fail, and to damage the reputation of their builders. Lincoln, Caddy, and Chysler have a ton of ground to make up, both in perception and in hardware. However, some of the traditional American luxury customers will likely still flock to offerings they perceive as closest to their own ideas of luxury cars.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts

It was to show my bosses at GM that luxury works differently than the non-luxury market. GM has huge expertise in technology and engineering, and financially it is in good shape as well, but they didn't understand that a luxury brand works differently.
I feel that Lincoln needs someone that can do this! At this point I am not sure if Ford has realized that the luxury market works different

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

^ well,
Jose said:
I feel that Lincoln needs someone that can do this! At this point I am not sure if Ford has realized that the luxury market works different
imho comparing coming Lincolns to coming Caddys,
I see Lincolns as making perfect sense - slowly
while Cadillac is so predictable - tho quickly

&
another Cadillac i$$ue...

while skimming a thread on GMI, I started hearing the word *hustle* in my head
( like Any change, like Saturn > Opel, demands a big hike in price )
followed quickly by a song with adapted lyrics
new GM never once gave it away
Everybody had to pay and pay
an *ELR* here and a *CT5* there
New York City is the place where Johan led...
...You should have seen him go, go, go

Hey Uwe, take a walk on the wild side
I said hey Jo(han), take a walk on the wild side...​

·
Registered
388 Posts

If you had the opportunity to go to a Lincoln dealership today, in the US, you would see that they do get it. When we get our MKZ Hybrid (possibly BL), it will be because of the dealership experience, for a large part. That is a HUGE part of what makes a luxury car a luxury car.................... and is something that Cadillac really doesn't get yet.

I have tried to compare the Cadillac experience to my Lincoln experience. All I have gotten is a brochure "download" and repeated annoying e-mails.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

If you had the opportunity to go to a Lincoln dealership today, in the US, you would see that they do get it. When we get our MKZ Hybrid (possibly BL), it will be because of the dealership experience, for a large part. That is a HUGE part of what makes a luxury car a luxury car.................... and is something that Cadillac really doesn't get yet.

I have tried to compare the Cadillac experience to my Lincoln experience. All I have gotten is a brochure "download" and repeated annoying e-mails.
:thumb:
prolley better for the [BlackLabel] thread but
have you seen all the links we've got in it, G?
&
What theme(s) are you liking so far?

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts

well I still have to do that on my next trip to USA, I didn´t know that but it is nice to hear! :D
although I was refering more to the People at the top of Ford Motor Company management

·
Registered
867 Posts

Ford clearly does not realize this and there is nobody at Ford who will say it. Ford would never have neglected the Lincoln LS and then deep-six the DEW98 if they had any clue as to how to market a premium/luxury car. Exclusivity! During the LS years, Lincoln at least had something that wasn't available in a Ford showroom. Cadillac is way ahead of Lincoln because it sells cars that are not available in Chevrolet or Buick showrooms. Cadillac will soon hand DOWN platforms to Chevy but unless Lincoln has platforms that are not handed UP from Ford, it cannot market the exclusivity required of luxury brands.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

sorry I can't help picking this apart
Ford clearly does not realize this...
WHO is this "Ford" you refer to?
Uncle Bill?
the rest of the Family?
the Brand?
the Corporation?
imho
anthropomorphizing companies with human characteristics like REALIZING can lead to misconceptions...cont.

and there is nobody at Ford who will say it...
since Fall 2006 until recently there has DEFINITELY been someone at FoMoCo who not only talked openly about all sorts of 'forbidden' things AND knew how to listen
but
ALSO TAUGHT both practices.
Just mho, some people learned them - time is needed to tell if enough did.

...Ford would never have neglected the Lincoln LS and then deep-six the DEW98 if they had any clue as to how to market a premium/luxury car. Exclusivity! During the LS years, Lincoln at least had something that wasn't available in a Ford showroom...
^continuing: FoMoCo is not the same company it was back in the Oughts(2000-2009)** when the LS was abandonned.
NOR is it the same as in the 1990's when DEW98 was developed - when "they" stoopidly sucked on the foreignPAG crackpipe to make a platform too expensive AND limited for F, M, or L

...Cadillac is way ahead of Lincoln because it sells cars that are not available in Chevrolet or Buick showrooms...
UNTIL...cont.
(( if platform exclusivity is All Caddy has going for it; are they as good as done? ))
...Cadillac will soon hand DOWN platforms to Chevy...
^continuing: :tombstone:
...unless Lincoln has platforms that are not handed UP from Ford, it cannot market the exclusivity required of luxury brands.
imho1 exclusive platform(s) haven't worked that well for Caddy so far (& whatabout engines?/electrics?)
imho2 seems ^other stuff is more important
imho3 FoMoCo's platforms & drivetrains are better suited to sharing anyway

·
Registered
867 Posts

sorry I can't help picking this apart

WHO is this "Ford" you refer to?
Uncle Bill?
the rest of the Family?
the Brand?
the Corporation?
imho
anthropomorphizing companies with human characteristics like REALIZING can lead to misconceptions...cont.
Please, please please, tell this to the Supreme Court.

Who at Ford stated that Ford did not know how to build or market cars to luxury buyers?

If the DEW98 was so expensive, why did Jaguar, after being sold (at a loss) by Ford, use that platform for the Jaguar XF? The Lincoln LS could have held its own with the XF (and with the BMW 5-series and the Benz E-klasse) if Ford had; 1. developed and refined the car, 2. marketed it aggressively and, 3. produced a next-gen makeover - as Jaguar did transitioning from the S to the XF.

Ford platforms are heavyweight derivatives of ancient platforms (Mazda, Volvo and Ford-Of-Europe), none of which were developed in the U.S. The S550, a dumbed-down low-rent derivative of the DEW98 and - astonishingly, flying in the face of economies of scale - reserved for one model, is also suited for sharing. So where is the Lincoln S550 sports sedan?

·
Registered
717 Posts

Ford clearly does not realize this and there is nobody at Ford who will say it. Ford would never have neglected the Lincoln LS and then deep-six the DEW98 if they had any clue as to how to market a premium/luxury car. Exclusivity! During the LS years, Lincoln at least had something that wasn't available in a Ford showroom. Cadillac is way ahead of Lincoln because it sells cars that are not available in Chevrolet or Buick showrooms. Cadillac will soon hand DOWN platforms to Chevy but unless Lincoln has platforms that are not handed UP from Ford, it cannot market the exclusivity required of luxury brands.

Complete Nonsense......maybe I'll explain why later.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

Maybe your dealership does but NOT ALL. I have posted here several times about both Lincoln dealerships that are near me and both times left a very sour taste in my mouth. I guess it's because I am young and they don't expect me to be looking at a Lincoln or less afford one but I can, and I OWN a Lincoln now that's what makes it even more aggravating. Also its not like I live in a small town or anything the Tampa Bay area is huge and I have been to both Lincoln dealers in Tampa and in Clearwater. However the one time I stopped at a Lexus dealership I was treated WAY differently. Lincoln still has a lot of catching up to do in that department IMO.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts

As a Cadillac owner I am a bit torn on the decision to appoint this gentlemen who made an absolute mess of Infiniti to such a crucial position at Cadillac.

1 - 20 of 185 Posts