Ford Inside News banner

41 - 60 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Re: Cadillac boss to introduce 'boutique' store concept to 700 dealers

So you're saying that people no longer buy Lexus in pre-2009 numbers because of a Tsunami? Why is it that the Toyota brand has recovered in spite of the same Tsunami? I would argue that the problem with Lexus was the market for expensive, premium, vanilla vehicles was dying off with their customers. The Lexus brand image was premium Toyota, and there was a market for that, but younger buyers want more excitement from their transportation and that has been the reason Lexus has stalled. They have and will continue to struggle because excitement has never been part of the Lexus brand perception and changing that will be every bit as difficult as Cadillac and Lincoln changing their perception of being a Ford/Chevy in a nicer suit.

No argument, though I would add Lincoln to the list of premium American brands that would love to have the Lexus brand's perception at a minimum right now.
The G3 and Lexus have all added volume since then. Lexus sold 100k more vehicles in 2014 than in 2009. Overall Lexus isn't far behind and has recently been overtaking Audi in sales. It will only be a matter of time before the other 2 are overtaken.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Re: JOHAN Says... ... ... ...

Cadillac chief: Future models will be smaller, more affordable, yet faster - Yahoo
By Justin Hyde
January 22, 2015 6:21 PM
Motoramic

JOHAN:
...Next year we will have full-year availability of the CT6, but once again that is a high profile but not high volume. During 2016, the new SRX will be introduced...By the time we are firing on all cylinders in 2018, 2019, with the new product we are launching them into a market that’s ready to receive them.

Q: When you get these new cars out in a few years, what will be the distinction between a typical Cadillac and a typical competitor from the German brands or higher-end Japanese models?

JOHAN: All the car companies at the high end of the market are utilizing advanced technology. Cadillac is going to focus on the dynamic driving characteristics of the car. When you develop a car you need to determine what kind of car you’re going to do. Everything’s a trade-off….Cadillac is a luxury car, it's high-technology, it will have high craftsmanship and features, but fundamentally all our platforms and features are geared around driving excitement in a unique American way. We are not going to try to emulate the German brands. We can’t be more German than they, but we can definitely be more American.

This will also be reflected in the evolution of the Art & Science design language, very edgy but probably a touch more organic in shape — the hard edges will become a little softer. I m going to work very hard to take our current high level of fit and finish craftsmanship especially in interiors to new levels. I want us to be the benchmark.

We will utilize a portfolio approach to powertrains...I expect that plug-in hybrids will feature prominently in our longer-term future and beyond that, full battery EVs. As we look to Europe, which is really our focus beyond 2020, we will add diesels — if you don’t have diesels you won’t play...

...The ambiance we want to create must be something that supports the positioning of the brand...I’d like to evolve Cadillac's architectural design to also give a more contemporary luxury expression — choice of materials, choice of furniture, and so on. I really want to emphasize now in a very consistent manner, and now aim to keep this brand positioned as a modern, contemporary luxury brand that will also resonate very well with Generation X and Millennials who, by the end of this decade, will account for 80 percent of buyers.

Brands that are unable to evolve with changing demographics are the ones that are left behind...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

like I've said about the first 2 gens of the CTS being the Best Darn PONTIAC ever built
Caddy's new slogan (another recent topic) can be:
We Build Excitement

·
Registered
2,799 Posts

"Driving excitement in a unique American way"... That's absolute nonsense, but that's typical.

I do like this quote..which is what I want Lincoln to remember. Lincoln still hasn't found a modern edge to cut through the image that shields them from a younger audience. I see them making very little progress toward a younger audience.

"I’d like to evolve Cadillac's architectural design to also give a more contemporary luxury expression — choice of materials, choice of furniture, and so on. I really want to emphasize now in a very consistent manner, and now aim to keep this brand positioned as a modern, contemporary luxury brand that will also resonate very well with Generation X and Millennials who, by the end of this decade, will account for 80 percent of buyers."

·
Registered
306 Posts

And maybe you can get your toenails painted after spending $50k on a 4 door car that can only carry two adults with legs in comfort.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Re: Johan says...............

unseen (un-found yet) video...

This is Why General Motors Cut Cadillac's Prices - Fool.com
By John Rosevear and Rex Moore
January 29, 2015

...Cadillac managers had been adamant: We're building cars that are as good as the German luxury brands', they said, so they'll be priced accordingly. After all, they cost just as much to build.
That position turned out to be a little optimistic...

...We were hoping for more insight, so we asked Cadillac President Johan de Nysschen to give us the full scoop on the brand's turnabout on pricing. He graciously agreed to do so -- and you can see what he told us in this video, shot on the Cadillac stand at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit...

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Re: GM didn't understand...Luxury - Cadillac CMO

via Another "Ellinghaus understands Cadillac" moment @ GMI...

Cadillac Reveals Dare Greatly Campaign: 5 Questions with CMO Uwe Ellinghaus - BrandChannel.com
Posted by Dale Buss on February 16, 2015

...Cadillac's new global tagline and brand positioning theme will be "Dare Greatly"...

Ahead of officially opening its new NYC headquarters, General Motors' luxury brand hosted a Men's Day at New York Fashion Week over the weekend at its new HQ in Soho...
...It's all part of Cadillac CMO Uwe Ellinghaus's bold plan to revitalize the identity of the brand by cloaking it in a particularly American kind of determination, accomplishment and style, even while this is a global campaign.

His conviction has been that, while Cadillac is making its best products ever, sales have been falling short lately in the US because the brand has lapsed into an indistinct identity that hasn't inspired premium car buyers to come its way instead of going with "safe" choices like rival German brands.

brandchannel spoke with Ellinghaus...
(1)bc: Why do you need to do all of this? What's wrong with the old Cadillac brand?

Uwe Ellinghaus:
We want to resurrect the Cadillac brand and bring it back to greatness. There is a great product-driven change as well, as the brand is embarking on a new journey and investing billions of dollars in new products, including the CT6 [top-end sedan] that we'll reveal at the New York International Auto Show.

But the Cadillac brand needed to change. We've lost some of our old customers and we're not conquesting enough new customers—because we lack relevance. We need to have a new point of view to show why we're relevant and to get across how much Cadillac has changed.

You can't just put product—even great product, which we have—in front of people. If the brand isn't relevant, people don't care.

(2)bc: So you've come up with an approach that appeals to what you call "entrepreneurialism"—the idea of taking risks and demonstrating the sort of irrepressible drive that compels people to start businesses?

(3)bc: You've made a big deal about resurrecting the Cadillac brand in a form that differentiates it from "the Germans." How are you going to do that?

(4)bc: Hasn't Cadillac repositioned itself before?

(5)bc: Recently, Cadillac has trimmed some sedan prices because you've gotten resistance from consumers and dealers; essentially, that's what happens when you have worthy products but a weak brand, right?

Ellinghaus:
Yes. And this campaign will help people acknowledge that the cars deserve the reputations and pricing that they have.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
think I semi-remember another thread I'd rather have posted this in - or maybe merge them?...

·
Registered
1,930 Posts

Do you think we've seen Cadillac's peak already, or is this a slump?

I think Cadillac will do much better once they make a damn CUV! New SRX and another CUV down market.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
PdL drinks Johan & Uwe's Koolaid

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
think I semi-remember another thread I'd rather have posted this in - or maybe merge them?...
"Cadillac boss to introduce 'boutique' store concept"/Johan says... thread
kinda think I will merge them today
&
this DeLorenzo article addresses both

WRESTLING FOR THE HEART AND SOUL OF AN ICONIC BRAND - AutoExtremist
February 16, 2015

...One amazing anecdote about this situation is that before de Nysschen and Ellinghaus had arrived, no one had taken the time to seriously think about what actually defined Cadillac, not to mention what it needed to be and where it needed to go in order to survive and thrive in the future. de Nysschen and Ellinghaus knew instinctively that the “let’s out-German the Germans” approach would only take the brand so far, and ultimately couldn’t be the long-term strategy that would bring Cadillac into focus and carry it forward to new arenas of acceptance.

There had to be something more...

...What has transpired in the last six months in regards to Cadillac in terms of marketing strategy, product direction and everything else associated with this brand in transition has been monumental and is geared to what Cadillac will be in the future - where it needed and wanted to go, and what it will look and feel like on the journey there.

This new Cadillac is armed with a driven leader bolstered by conviction and experience, one who has a completely different outlook for the brand. He has a like-minded and aggressive CMO at his side, a new advertising agency and a whole new way of thinking about the brand unfolding in staccato bursts of thought and creativity.

And the result of this swirling maelstrom of new thinking?...

LINK

...Majestic in thought, visually stunning and at times borderline heroic, this is what high-concept image wrangling is all about...

..."Dare Greatly" has nothing to do with preconceived notions of what Cadillac is, or what it once was. Instead it sets about creating an aura for the brand, one encompassing everything the brand aspires to be.

From this point forward Cadillac is aiming higher. de Nysschen and Co. are in the arena, striving to do the deeds, while being unafraid to fail. And I applaud the effort.

One hundred years after the iconic ad made its debut in 1915, I consider "Dare Greatly" to be "The Penalty of Leadership" for the 21st Century.

It's that good.

And that’s the High-Octane Truth for this week.

edit: video from above Link @ youtube

·
Registered
436 Posts

I think Cadillac will do much better once they make a damn CUV! New SRX and another CUV down market.
I'm really starting to wonder about Cadillac's future. I believe it's had its peak with the exception being the Escalade. Could be wrong though and probably am.

The SRX definitely needs a redesign. The 2016 MKX makes the SRX look old, ugly and outdated. I don't think Cadillac should have a lower market CUV in my opinion. Because if Caddy starts moving down market it starts moving in on Buick territory which wouldn't be a good thing.

Both the ATS and new CTS have been total sale flops. Doesn't mean their not good cars there just doesn't seem to be a buying audience.

Cadillac needs to stop trying to be BMW and start being Cadillac again. Out of all the Cadillac's there is to choose from the only one that strikes my interest is the XTS which most people laugh at although I think it's a beautiful car. The Escalade seems to fascinate most but I'd much rather have the GMC Yukon Denali if I was in the market for that type of vehicle.

Also Cadillac needs to bring back real nameplates. Just like I wish Lincoln would do.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts

I'm really starting to wonder about Cadillac's future. I believe it's had its peak with the exception being the Escalade. Could be wrong though and probably am.
That is a crazy take! They have two new CUVs coming in the near future which is where all the volume is in premium, for the most part the sedan market is stagnant. Cadillac's biggest problem and mistake was putting so much of the focus and investment into a non-growth segment and that is one area in which Lincoln has a clear advantage of leadership. Cadillac's future is no more in doubt than Lincoln's.

Both the ATS and new CTS have been total sale flops. Doesn't mean their not good cars there just doesn't seem to be a buying audience.
The CTS matches the MKZ's volume at a higher ATP and the ATS hasn't been all that far off that pace. Have they been the success stories Cadillac expected them to be? Of course not, but that hardly qualifies as total flops. They put two sedans into a stagnant premium sedan market it would have been ridiculous to expect a huge hit. The majority of BMW/Mercedes/Audi growth have been in CUVs and the entry level market below the ATS.

I was a surprised as anybody that the ATS/CTS didn't sell better but with the benefit of hindsight it really shines a positive light on the management team at Lincoln in that they were able to identify the markets to focus on so well!

Cadillac needs to stop trying to be BMW and start being Cadillac again. Out of all the Cadillac's there is to choose from the only one that strikes my interest is the XTS which most people laugh at although I think it's a beautiful car. The Escalade seems to fascinate most but I'd much rather have the GMC Yukon Denali if I was in the market for that type of vehicle.
That is all very subjective. While there is a market for vehicles like the XTS it again isn't a growth market. Cadillac and Lincoln both need to bring new blood into their showrooms and a vehicle like the XTS is all about retaining their existing geriatric base but that has a very short shelf life.

As I see it Cadillac has excelled at product development and are building quality, market competitive vehicles. They have fallen flat on their faces in choosing sedans as their rebirth focus to the exclusion of CUVs and they were delirious to think they could price match the Germans this early in the game just because the two sedans equal the German sedans, the Cadillac brand does not.

·
Registered
436 Posts

^^ Thanks for the schooling and calling my opinion crazy. I never said that Cadillac didn't build high quality highly competitive vehicle because I certainly think they do for the most part. I just said Cadillac doesn't need to move down market and that the CTS and CTS were sale flops which they are according to most GM/Cadillac enthusiast and according to what Cadillac had predicted for them.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts

^
Funny thing is, if you were to take a big steamy dump on Lincoln, trashing it in every way possible....then that would have probably been ignored.

Remember, fanboyism will NOT be allowed.
Unless of course, your brand of choice does not reside under the FoMoCo umbrella.

·
Registered
436 Posts

^ You're exactly right Wings.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #54

just-imho
-- agree that ""past performance** is no guarantee of future performance""
-- I'd much rather have a "DeathWatch" on Johan &or Uwe than Cadillac
-- specifically answering GJrip:
I firmly believe that J&U plan on being down until GM separates Caddy financial reporting (in a few years)
What happens after is guesswork for now
:dartboard smilie:​

** not sure if past LACK-OF-performance is as guarantee-less

·
Registered
5,401 Posts

^
Funny thing is, if you were to take a big steamy dump on Lincoln, trashing it in every way possible....then that would have probably been ignored.

Remember, fanboyism will NOT be allowed.
Unless of course, your brand of choice does not reside under the FoMoCo umbrella.
Funny stuff as usual. I stated a couple times how much better Lincoln's management read the market and made better choices in what vehicles to build. But yeah, haters gonna hate, right?

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
swiped pretty-much As Is from MotorTrend forum...
JOHAN's Message to Cadillac enthusiasts and the odd skeptical observer:

Cadillac is embarking upon a bold new journey.
And the Cadillac organization is invigorated. It’s not often that a 112-year-old icon with such a legacy reinvents itself, and it’s awesome for all of us to be part of it.

Of course, those of you who follow our industry know that, over the last few months, we have already begun to disturb the status quo. In the process, we have unavoidably ruffled some feathers: moving part of our operations from Detroit to New York City; placing Cadillac in charge of its own operational destiny; outlining a plan to dramatically expand the product portfolio; creating a consistent nomenclature for our cars. And yes, as far as the car names go, I know it appears as if we are changing one set of “alphabet soup” names for another, but as they say in the classics, there is "method in the madness." Have faith, it will all fall precisely and logically into place over time.

Furthermore, if you’ve been following our new product launches, you will know that the latest generation of Cadillac vehicles are among the very best available on the market today. Not only have we impressed every industry expert, the cars have received award after award.
Cadillac is back. The fact is that Cadillac’s resurgence as an automaker of exceptional prowess and producer of superlative automobiles is well underway, and this is reflected in many of the strong gains achieved around the world last year. Cadillac has never produced better product than is available today—and we have only just begun our product offensive—with a single-minded focus to stun friends and foes alike, with one fascinating new Cadillac after another.

While product fascination provides substance for our ambitions, we must also embark on a philosophical shift to match these ambitions.
To once again become the standard for excellence around the globe, we cannot follow any of the examples set by the luxury market "establishment," nor meekly succumb to preconceived notions about this great brand, or even perceptions about our rivals. We respect each and every one of our competitors, but Cadillac will chart its own course, and we will speak our own truth.

Cadillac is on a mission to shatter the status quo. Cadillac will lead with highly aspirational products packed with advanced technology, superlative craftsmanship and distinctive design. And a brand character that symbolizes quality and respect. We don't aim to be the biggest. We aim to be the best, the highly aspirational domain of the few.

In the words of one of the great American presidents, Theodore Roosevelt: “It is not the critic who counts.” Only those who are willing to accept risk, who have the courage to dare greatly, shape the future.
At Cadillac, we are about shaping our future, and with it, the future of the luxury automobile industry.

The presentation of the ATS-V in Los Angeles late 2014, followed by the CTS-V in Detroit in January this year, was the first salvo directly into what constitutes the very essence of the luxury segment. The next reveal under our bold philosophy of excellence will be in New York City, on the 31st of March. The unveiling of the CT6 Sedan will be the latest, most daring expression of Cadillac’s ambition.

But that’s not where it ends—as I stated, we have only just begun.
Advanced plans are underway to introduce 8 all-new vehicles before the end of the decade. The transformation of Cadillac is happening all around us. And it has been a while since our industry has witnessed change of this magnitude.
The auto industry is a long-cycle business, and we cannot execute all of our plans nor reach all of our goals overnight, but Cadillac is now firmly on course to reclaim its rightful place as the iconic, global luxury brand, made in America.

As we have our supporters, so too we will have our detractors—those who express their discomfort about this bold challenge to the status quo, through criticism and skepticism. We accept these loud protests at the disruption to the established order and understand it means we simply have to work harder and to convey the truth of today to those whose perceptions are still rooted in yesterday.

We know for some it may be a long and arduous journey.
But we are ready.
For at Cadillac, we dare greatly.
Thank you.
Johan de Nysschen
President
Cadillac

possibly correct, untested by me, fb-LINK

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Like Lincoln, Caddy's new strategy is unproven and will take this decade to fully assess. The good thing is that both companies understand significant change is needed and are moving aggressively. The thing I do admire about Caddy is their ambition and leadership, they are moving very fast. Caddy has always been a product first company because they believe in their vast historic potential and act arrogantly assuming customers will snatch it up if they just build them. Lincoln is very much a business/strategy first company with less emphasis on flashy product because their brand and customer base is very weak so they have to fix that first and invest smartly and strategically with their limited resources and engineering autonomy. I think Lincoln has a better handle on its strengths and weaknesses than Caddy and are making smarter decisions, but they are also taking very few risks as a result.

Ultimately Caddy wants to leverage its heritage at the same time it wants to completely change it's customer. Lincoln on the other hand is very faithful to it's core principles and product philosophy. Caddy is reinventing itself, Lincoln is rediscovering itself...it'll be interesting to see which approach works best..but I tend to have more faith in authenticity (never forget where you came from).

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Ask Cadillac President Johan de Nysschen Anything - Jollypop
Travis Okulski
Today 11:45am

The leadership at most automakers tend to be quiet, shrinking violets. Only occasionally do you get one that makes their multitude of opinions public information. Thankfully, Cadillac President Johan de Nysschen is not the quiet type. At all. And he's here for the next hour to answer your questions. This will be fun.

For those that don't know, de Nysschen became the President of Cadillac just last year after a short stint running Infiniti and nearly a decade at the helm of Audi of America...

...? - Hello. Does Cadillac have any diesel variants planned?
Johan - We will have four-cylinder and six-cylinder diesel engines, but not before 2019...

...? - Hello. Will the next gen ATS and CTS have a useable backseat?
Johan - Depends what you want to use it for.
? - ^Well played Johan.​

...? - (abbreviating) 86'ing Detroit (ie > NYC)?
Johan - Firstly, thanks for the question. Nobody ever asks me this. I'm very fond of Detroit. This is where I first came to when I moved to the U.S.; I even got married here. The decision to move to New York has nothing to do with my personal preferences. Quite frankly, I'd be quite happy to stay in Detroit, myself.

We are establishing Cadillac as a more autonomous, separate business, and we need to create some space to the General Motors Corporation. If we don't have geographic separation, then processes and the way of doing business will not change and we run the risk of continuing to apply successful strategies aimed at mainstream brands to the Cadillac business as well. The majority of our operations will, in fact, remain in Michigan. Manufacturing, Design, and Development continue unchanged. It's the overall corporate leadership function, including marketing, finance, sales, strategic planning, product planning, et cetera which will relocate to New York.

New York is an iconic global city. One which serves to originate many global trends. We want to be part of that experience, and see the world through the eyes of our customers. We recognize that the geographic separation from part of our Design and Development functions holds some disadvantages, but we have modified our processes to take this into account...

41 - 60 of 185 Posts