Ford Inside News banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dodge Avenger headed to scrap heap; no successor planned?

A new report finds that the Dodge Avenger isn't long for this world, and more surprisingly, it won't be replaced by another model.

With sales of the Dart currently compromised by the larger, more potent and similarly priced Avenger, Dodge will soon exit the midsize sedan segment altogether to give its compact sedan some much-needed breathing room, according to The Truth About Cars.

Though the Avenger's demise had long been viewed as all but certain, it was widely assumed that it would be replaced by a new midsize four-door with a different moniker.

Read more: http://www.leftlanenews.com/dodge-a...ap-no-replacement-planned.html##ixzz2qlGeEyXg

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had suspected Chrysler may move the Chrysler brand into more entry-luxury territory (with Acura, Lincoln, and Volvo), but the recent pricing announcement of the 200 tells me Chrysler is staying mainstream. It's a bit unfortunate. It seems Chrysler and Jeep are steadily getting new products and Dodge has been left out to dry.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Not looking good for Dodge...
It should have been clear when they moved the trucks to the new Ram brand, the Viper to the SRT brand, and were rumored to be developing a 'Cuda, again for the SRT brand. It makes more sense than offering mildly differentiated products from two brands usually under the same roof. What does the Charger bring to the table that the 300 cannot cover? Dodge is redundant.

·
Registered
334 Posts
So is allpar wrong in claiming that there will be a RWD midsize sedan replacement for the Avenger?

Does "no replacement planned" mean that Dodge will be getting a RWD midsize sedan instead (as opposed to a FWD midsize sedan) or that Dodge won't be getting a midsize sedan (RWD or FWD) at all?

I will say that if the Dart is positioned to cover the mainstream compact sedan segment for Chrysler/Dodge and the new 200 is positioned to cover the mainstream midsize sedan segment for Chrysler/Dodge, then killing the current, outdated Avenger when the new 200 arrives on the market is a good idea.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I don't think we will know anything definite about Dodge's future for at least 3 to 6 months. A lot depends upon whether a new RWD platform is developed for Alfa Romeo.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
It should have been clear when they moved the trucks to the new Ram brand, the Viper to the SRT brand, and were rumored to be developing a 'Cuda, again for the SRT brand. It makes more sense than offering mildly differentiated products from two brands usually under the same roof. What does the Charger bring to the table that the 300 cannot cover? Dodge is redundant.
I hate to see established "Nameplates" wasted

...maybe, since Ram and SRT are continuing, they can just 'organizationally' put them under a "by Dodge" heading (& neo-fratzog logo?) to keep the Name alive?

also Chryco has plenty of heritage Names that imho it'd be cool to bring back someday; esp/even DeSoto & Hudson,
if they succeed enough for an expansion including "boutique Brands".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts