Ford Inside News banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is an early version of my take on what the next all new Mustang should look like. Currently some features are missing, like wheels and side-view mirrors, but I thought I would post it up here to get some ideas from you guys before evolving the design further.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Here is an early version of my take on what the next all new Mustang should look like. Currently some features are missing, like wheels and side-view mirrors, but I thought I would post it up here to get some ideas from you guys before evolving the design further.
Looks like the upcoming Camaro and Current Mustang together. Use this

as the stating point. Its the Guigiaro mustang

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like the upcoming Camaro and Current Mustang together. Use this as the stating point. Its the Guigiaro mustang
Thanks for the input, but I hate the look of the Guigario car so you wont likely see much of it in any of my work.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Thanks for the input, but I hate the look of the Guigario car so you wont likely see much of it in any of my work.
Welcome to the forum. I think they will use this Guigario design cues in the Mustang.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Nice sketch, Jsaylor! & Welcome!!! (yay! another design contributor!!!)
It does look cleaner/smoother than the current Mustang which I like,
maybe could use a touch more 'spice'? turn up the volume?
tho I don't see any Camaro traits, NDW :confused:

I got to see the G.Stang at last year's autoshow & thought it had some tasty features - just too BIG, I hope the nextgen is just a bit smaller (unlike the Giugiaro) & definitely lighter/sleeker

How about keeping this in mind while designing?
< click for huge 1279x853 481k, chosen for realistic pose
or
If they are going to merge platforms with the nextgen Australian Falcon, maybe check out the spypix of the interim 'Orion' version?

tho I believe it'll be more angular than ^that^ rendering
or
check out some past Ford concepts?... just for inspiration - think retro will officially be over as soon as the Challenger comes out ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks 2b2. Here is an update with some minor changes both in terms of profile and features. Since the first version is going to be the GT500 model I'm sticking with an updated version of the current cars schnoz because I think anything else would be a retrograde step. The current cars face is just so good I am uncertain that you could seriously improve on the design through radical change.

For a rundown, I've added a 68 GT500-style scoop, changed the rear 1/4 windows and added 599GTb style C-pillar spoilers, altered some proportions a little including the roofline, and added driving lights/turn signals to the lower front fascia.

I think the 'menace factor' has gone up a notch or two with these changes, but surprisingly the missing wheels and tires really take a lot away from the visual impact of the car. I have some very crude sketches of the car with wheels and tires and it makes a huge difference, this is a development I really wasn't expecting.

Attachments

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...I'm sticking with an updated version of the current cars schnoz because I think anything else would be a retrograde step. The current cars face is just so good I am uncertain that you could seriously improve on the design through radical change...

I'm just afraid that the nextgen will have to 'up the ante' as much as the current did over the previous Stang,
which I think actually un-did all the MustangII-&-following damage (no small feat!)
yet... I want my socks knocked off, be struck speechless & drooling
& tho difficult, hope that can be achieved.

more realistically,
could you make the side scoop look just a bit "C"ish?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
could you make the side scoop look just a bit "C"ish?
That is on the list of things to do but might not be addresed for some time. Other items still on that to 'do list' are to finish the wheels (I know exactly what I want them to look like, now I just have to get my hand and my brain together on this one), figure out something for a sideview mirror design, give the side scoops, both upper and lower, a more realistic appearance, and settle on a driving light design . Then of course I need to add a bit of shading and reflection to better demonstrate some of the cars more subtle features...and finally I need clean up the drawing through the use of french curves, etc.

Frankly I wish that I was better at this so I could move faster....I have several other ideas cooking in my brain at the moment and don't expect to be done with this one for some time yet. And one of those ideas is a modern day Cougar which pays some homage to the original without being based on the Mustang and without being overly retro. But, now I'm getting ahead of myself....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Latest update, and likely the last in this basic 'sketch' format. From this point forward most of the work will involve cleaning up the sketch through the use of j-curves and stencils. Thanks for all the input so far...In a few weeks I look forward to hearing your reactions to the finished, or near finished, piece!

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts