Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EcoBoost Mustang pipes fake engine noise through speakers

Ford has quietly implemented fake engine noise to enhance the acoustic appeal of its new EcoBoost-powered Mustang.

Omitted from initial announcements, the controversial 'feature' was first discovered by a Road & Track editor Jason Cammisa after removing a fuse for the stereo system. After the circuit was broken, both the radio and the synthetic engine noise went quiet.

The artificial engine noise, known as Active Noise Control, was later confirmed by a Ford engineer in a statement to Autoblog. The company claims to have worked with customer panels to choose the best sound 'concept.'

Read more: http://www.leftlanenews.com/ecoboos...ine-noise-through-speakers.html#ixzz3EGsBJhM9

·
Registered
997 Posts
I think it's soo tacky to do something like this. Why not make the real engine sound better instead of having to do a faux-sound to give the passengers a thrill.

Monies could be better spent.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I think it's soo tacky to do something like this. Why not make the real engine sound better instead of having to do a faux-sound to give the passengers a thrill.

Monies could be better spend.
The best sounding I4 is still a crappy sounding engine. Subaru's boxer 4 sounds half way decent but getting a good sound from a turbo I4 is pretty much no go IMO.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
That article is just wrong in so many ways.

1. The Active Noise Control eliminates all noise with white noise, so the cabin is quiet. This is why Lincoln models are so quiet.

Active noise control heightens overall cabin sound quality by reducing unwanted noises while enhancing desired sound to help provide a more pleasant driving experience. Microphones monitor the sound profile of the cabin, which is then replicated and inverted by a signal processor to create an opposing acoustic wave through the speakers. When the opposing wave meets the original sound wave, they cancel each other out. it’s addition by subtraction. It’s especially effective in the low frequency/pitch range.

2. The Sound Symposer, already use in the Focus ST and Fiesta ST, is to enhance engine sounds in the cabin with EcoBoost engines.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

Monies could be better spend.
WHAT?

you wouldn't them to to have any extra money left-over for LINCOLN
Would Ya??

seriously tho
I don't like the *concept* of noise-doctoring
(never hear that warning squeek/click/rumble of something goING wrong)
+(I don't trust the state-of-the-art to Not cause deafness!)
tho
I'd have no trouble with a physical 'pipe'/'resonator' to bring sound IN

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't really see the "problem" here, a lot of Automaker are doing this. I remember reading that even the BMW M5 has this stuff

·
Registered
171 Posts
It should have been an option and 'marketed' (in honesty and humility) to the customer.
Press 1 for engine noise and 2 for quiet driving...
Best sound without the big cost.
There would be choice.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Cool. I bet you can get apps to change the sound completely. F1 anybody?

I seem to recall adding loud mufflers to do similar. This sounds much easier and cheaper.
But that is done to impress other people...not the driver.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
This is kind of like finding out that the hot, sexy actress you have adored in movies has breast implants, instead of that all natural image. You just kind of get over it right away. LOL
Yes, you'll never be able to do anymore than watch her/them in the movies.
On the other hand...if it was a girlfriend, it would make a difference.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Why is everything made to be a big deal? My Gosh, if you test drive the vehicle, like what it is, the way it sounds, the way it performs, the mileage it provides, and you want to buy it, why the heck does it matter?

If you find out you have water based paint on your car, it looks great..... it's durable, who cares if it's not solvent based because it just doesn't matter.

Some people would complain about anything.

One of the selling points or at least desirables has always been sound. So if they can make a fuel efficient, performance based 4 or V6 sound like a desireable V8.... the more power to them. Good for FORD. If you don't want it, then by the 400+ V8, call it a day and move on.

BTW, just to throw that out there...many automotive paints are now water based......

My 2 cents - Fwiw

·
Registered
607 Posts
It sounds like it's more about noise cancelling than enhancing, but if it is the latter, who cares? The aural experience is very important in such a car. If this enhances the driver's experience, it's all good.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
It sounds like it's more about noise cancelling than enhancing, but if it is the latter, who cares? The aural experience is very important in such a car. If this enhances the driver's experience, it's all good.
I consider it the equivalent to an audio equalizer. Remember those? You treble down and bass up, dialing in/out the good/bads.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
The is the first bit of 2015 Mustang news that really disappointed me.

Ford already has a Sound Symposer that amplifies REAL engine sound (intake noise) to the cabin of ST models and V8 Mustangs, why disappoint us by piping in artificial digital engine sounds through the speakers in the Mustang 2.3 EcoBoost?
Good thing the V8 GT doesn't use this.

They made sure the 2015 Mustang had no fake scoops, but they gave the EcoBoost model fake engine sounds.

Ford I hope you fix this soon, I'd rather have a Sound Symposer that pipes in real engine sounds any day over one with a digital track.

·
Registered
607 Posts
A few years back, I bought my son a Christmas stocking stuffer that was similar to this concept. It plugged into the lighter and played over the radio on a handful of frequencies; when I bought it, I had to chose V8, V10, or V12 sound effects. It would detect the spark from the engine and then enhance it to sound like a rumbling V8, in our case, and it would broadcast that choice over the radio. The newer the car, the less successful it was but on some cars it sounded great. Did you want it louder? Crank up the stereo! It was kinda fun, actually.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
About Enhancing.... that is exactly what the Sound Symposer that pipes-in REAL engine sounds (intake noise) into the cabin does. It is used in the sporty ST models and the Mustang GT.

The only reason you'd have artificial (digital) sounds on a 4-cylinder Mustang is if it wants to pretend that it has another engine other than a 4-cylinder engine.
In the first place, I think people interested in buying an EcoBoost Mustang already know it has a 4-cylinder turbocharged engine, no need to hide it with a digital track.

I'm sure the Mustang EcoBoost is a great car overall, but if buyers had the option between "enhanced Real engine sound" vs "Fake digital engine sound" which do you think would win?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts