Ford Inside News banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
The problem with a turbo 4 cylinder, especially with an integrated exhaust manifold, is that noise is mitigated and NVH goes down too. It was probably a stark contrast to a higher revving NA V engine, where the noises are more pronounced. The I4 makes torque down low, so you rarely have to rev the motor very much, and that too contributes to a lack of adequate powertrain feel.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
The problem with a turbo 4 cylinder, especially with an integrated exhaust manifold, is that noise is mitigated and NVH goes down too. It was probably a stark contrast to a higher revving NA V engine, where the noises are more pronounced.
If that's the case, Ford sure did an impressive job with the Focus ST which uses a Sound Symposer, no need for a fake digital soundtrack.

·
Registered
717 Posts
If that's the case, Ford sure did an impressive job with the Focus ST which uses a Sound Symposer, no need for a fake digital soundtrack.

I just can't watch this thread anymore.

You have no clue what you are talking about. The sounds aren't PRE-recorded. They aren't sounds from a different engine. They aren't pumping completely fabricated sounds into the cabin.

There is Active and Passive noise cancelling.

FORD is using an active noise cancelling process and all this is done in real time. There are certain bad harmonics that 4 cyl engines make. Being DI also introduces more bad harmonics also. These frequencies are high in amplitude and they are what makes most sound so harsh. The Active Noise Control that FORD is using creates an out of phase frequency that cancels those bad harmonics (frequencies) out. Walla....bad sound eliminated.

What FORD is also doing is boosting what they have determined to be the "good" frequencies coming from the engine. They didn't just pull sounds from a track or thin air. These are sounds being made directly from the Ecoboost engine in "Real Time" then played thru the speakers.

This not only enhances the sound of the Ecoboost it makes for a quieter cabin overall.

Calling it FAKE is just a Haters cop-out.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Think about it... the car is well insulated to avoid road and outside noice, but that also seals out engine noise, some of which is nice to have for many of us... so they pipe some back in. Sounds okay to me, though of course having a kill switch wouldn't be a bad idea if someone really doesn't want it.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Think about it... the car is well insulated to avoid road and outside noice, but that also seals out engine noise, some of which is nice to have for many of us... so they pipe some back in. Sounds okay to me, though of course having a kill switch wouldn't be a bad idea if someone really doesn't want it.
True.
The new Mustang and Focus both have well insulated cabins that block out noise.
Ford's solution for this is to install a Sound Symposer which pipes-in the actual engine sound (intake noise) into the cabins of the Focus ST and Mustang GT. I believe the sound tube goes somewhere behind the dashboard.

The big question is this: Why does the Sound Symposer work perfectly on the 4-cylinder EcoBoost Ford Focus ST and V8 Mustang GT, but not the EcoBoost Mustang?

Edit: Even Ford's baby pocket rocket, the Fiesta ST uses a Sound Symposer.

PS: I read that if you change the stereo of the Mustang EcoBoost, its engine soundtrack goes along with it.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
The symposer is a sound box that harvests good, engine-generated frequencies from the air intake system and then sends these sound frequencies straight into the passenger compartment.
What Ford has done with their sound symposer is capture engine oscillations in the intake system downstream from
the turbo and then direct them straight into the cabin for a good sporty growl.”
The symposer has four internal chambers – two chambers on the engine side and two on the outlet side. The chambers are separated by a
moveable flap. Under hard acceleration the pulsations generated in the intake, or engine side, meet the pivoted flap, producing sound waves which are then transferred to the outlet chambers. These pulsations are then transmitted into the passenger compartment via a
sound pipe which runs through the bulkhead and into the car’s cabin.

I believe Ford originally developed this technology for the 2005 Focus ST.It was also a feature on the Focus RS and Focus RS 500. It was also used on the 1.6 EcoBoost in the MK3 Focus.

Absolutely not "fake" noise.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
The symposer is a sound box that harvests good, engine-generated frequencies from the air intake system and then sends these sound frequencies straight into the passenger compartment.
What Ford has done with their sound symposer is capture engine oscillations in the intake system downstream from
the turbo and then direct them straight into the cabin for a good sporty growl.”
The symposer has four internal chambers – two chambers on the engine side and two on the outlet side. The chambers are separated by a
moveable flap. Under hard acceleration the pulsations generated in the intake, or engine side, meet the pivoted flap, producing sound waves which are then transferred to the outlet chambers. These pulsations are then transmitted into the passenger compartment via a
sound pipe which runs through the bulkhead and into the car’s cabin.

I believe Ford originally developed this technology for the 2005 Focus ST.It was also a feature on the Focus RS and Focus RS 500. It was also used on the 1.6 EcoBoost in the MK3 Focus.

Absolutely not "fake" noise.
True and knowing that Ford has a provem Sound Symposer system, it's sad to see them resort to a digital soundtrack for the EcoBoost Mustang.

I'm sure the EcoBoost Mustang is a great car overall, but if they used a Sound Symposer instead, it would have made the car better for the simple fact that the engine noise you hear would be real.

·
Registered
717 Posts
True and knowing that Ford has a provem Sound Symposer system, it's sad to see them resort to a digital soundtrack for the EcoBoost Mustang.

I'm sure the EcoBoost Mustang is a great car overall, but if they used a Sound Symposer instead, it would have made the car better for the simple fact that the engine noise you hear would be real.

While you have been on your soapbox......

FORD Racing just ran a 12.56 with an Ecoboost Mustang at Milan Dragway.

·
Registered
384 Posts
So if you just had the noise cancellation, and not the Sound Symposer system, it would be quiet as a Town Car?

In reading a long term test of a Subaru BRZ in Car and Driver, they begged for another 200 lbs of sound insulation. After reading this, and before, actually, there was the strong temptation to tell them not only no, but oh **** no!

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
While you have been on your soapbox......

FORD Racing just ran a 12.56 with an Ecoboost Mustang at Milan Dragway.
I never questioned its performance and have always supported the idea of an EcoBoost Mustang.
Just to clear things up, I said it would have been better if it used a Sound Symposer which has already been proven to work great in the 4-cylinder EcoBoost ST models and the V8 Mustang GT.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts