Ford Inside News banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think the 1.6 EB will come in around 180 hp/180 tq. 2.0 EB will be around 240 hp/250 tq. Possibly 250/250. Although with Hyundai announcing 274 hp/269 tq. for its new 2.0T, who knows, it could be higher. Anything above 225 hp for installation in a Focus ST/SVT would be fine by me. :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
re-Re-RE-updated
with the refreshed Mondeo's HP
(the yellow cells indicate a specific FoMoCo vehicle with that HP;
the
~~'s mean approximately)

* same MPG as the S-Max's 200hp version to the best of my understanding
** Kepler Motion super-hybrid
From the 2011 Explorer Press Release
Explorer's available advanced 2.0-liter EcoBoost I-4 delivers the power of a normally aspirated V6 without compromising four-cylinder fuel economy. Aimed at the SUV buyer whose top priority is fuel economy, this turbocharged and intercooled I-4 engine delivers a projected 237 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and 250 lb.-ft. of torque from 1,700 through 4,000 rpm.
No estimated fuel economy number (that I can find) in the Press Release.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
From the 2011 Explorer Press Release
Explorer's available advanced 2.0-liter EcoBoost I-4 delivers the power of a normally aspirated V6 without compromising four-cylinder fuel economy. Aimed at the SUV buyer whose top priority is fuel economy, this turbocharged and intercooled I-4 engine delivers a projected 237 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and 250 lb.-ft. of torque from 1,700 through 4,000 rpm.
No estimated fuel economy number (that I can find) in the Press Release.
tho I won't quite go this far
It is funny, how many people take Ford initial estimates as absolutes. Have you learned nothing yet??

By the time the vehicle is available for sale, expect everything with a number to increase......... except the price. Look at all of Fords recent introductions, for the proof of this. The Ecoboost 4 will make more than 237hp, and will get better mpg than anyone is predicting (well, almost everyone). The V6 fuel economy will also be better than they are reporting.............. as has every mpg for Ford, for the last couple of years. I would even expect the towing to go up........... and probably surpass the Lambdas.

I do find it to be hilarious that people fall for this same trap, every single time.

Ford is giving out enough information to get people interested. They will go for the kill shortly. (so to speak)
I will bet my maximum wager...

...that it'll be more HP than the Mondeo
(does ONE count? - guess in honor of the nickel, I'll say at least 5HP
tho really hope wingnuts's "north of 250HP" is still correct)

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
members battyr & Jpd @ BON
have searched for & provided sources for ^this^ graphic (that I found Dec'09)

where I found it originally at GreenCarCongress.com

& more amazing

July'09 U.Mich presentation by Dan Kapp of Ford
Future generations of EcoBoost. While the current, first generation of EcoBoost combines basic direct injection and turbocharging technologies to enable downsizing, there are technologies that will continue to augment its capabilities, Kapp said. Broadly, these can be described as:

• EcoBoost–Next Generation (CY 2014-2016). Currently under advanced development, this generation will provide increased BMEP and knock mitigation through the use of technologies such as advanced boosting, cooled EGR and the Miller cycle. The further downsized next-generation technologies can be very synergistic within hybrid applications.

• EcoBoost–Advanced technologies (CY 2017+). Long-term EcoBoost solutions may include more advanced, multi-stage boost systems for higher BMEP capability over a wider range, and extended dilute combustion range. Various types of lean operation are also being investigated for improved BSFC. These systems will also need to deliver very low criteria pollutant levels (e.g., 100% SULEV), and will require developments in combustion management and aftertreatment technology.

The first step is that you have to break through the knock limitation, using things such as cooled EGR or even the characteristics of ethanol fuels, and then much further out, you start to push into some lean operating regime.

I think it is important to note that the engine technologies that complement EcoBoost sometimes aren't the same that you would use on a larger, naturally aspirated engine. So this combustion mode that gets talked about as HCCI is something that as it has been developed really only works under very lightly loaded engine conditions.

But if you carry that to an EcoBoost, once you've downsized it, you don't spend a lot of time at those lightly loaded conditions. There are technologies that we will continue exploring that will deliver more potential out of the engine, Whether or not that ends up being HCCI or some other alterative combustion mode is to be determined. I think we all agree now that HCCI is still in research mode.

—Dan Kapp​

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
members battyr & Jpd @ BON
have searched for & provided sources for ^this^ graphic (that I found Dec'09)

where I found it originally at GreenCarCongress.com

& more amazing

July'09 U.Mich presentation by Dan Kapp of Ford
Future generations of EcoBoost. While the current, first generation of EcoBoost combines basic direct injection and turbocharging technologies to enable downsizing, there are technologies that will continue to augment its capabilities, Kapp said. Broadly, these can be described as:

EcoBoost–Next Generation (CY 2014-2016). Currently under advanced development, this generation will provide increased BMEP and knock mitigation through the use of technologies such as advanced boosting, cooled EGR and the Miller cycle. The further downsized next-generation technologies can be very synergistic within hybrid applications.
EcoBoost–Advanced technologies (CY 2017+). Long-term EcoBoost solutions may include more advanced, multi-stage boost systems for higher BMEP capability over a wider range, and extended dilute combustion range. Various types of lean operation are also being investigated for improved BSFC. These systems will also need to deliver very low criteria pollutant levels (e.g., 100% SULEV), and will require developments in combustion management and aftertreatment technology.

The first step is that you have to break through the knock limitation, using things such as cooled EGR or even the characteristics of ethanol fuels, and then much further out, you start to push into some lean operating regime.

I think it is important to note that the engine technologies that complement EcoBoost sometimes aren't the same that you would use on a larger, naturally aspirated engine. So this combustion mode that gets talked about as HCCI is something that as it has been developed really only works under very lightly loaded engine conditions.

But if you carry that to an EcoBoost, once you've downsized it, you don't spend a lot of time at those lightly loaded conditions. There are technologies that we will continue exploring that will deliver more potential out of the engine, Whether or not that ends up being HCCI or some other alterative combustion mode is to be determined. I think we all agree now that HCCI is still in research mode.

—Dan Kapp​

·
Registered
60 Posts
finally updated the chart with more displacements
(note: a math mistake is more likely than I prefer, please post any errors)

In what car (beside mustang) would v6 with 450 hp find home?? I know Kepler Motors Motion is rumored to have 550 hp but i doubt we will se 3.5 l with same HP coming in Ford vehicle. Also
3.5 l v6 with 450 hp.. any vehicle (beside mustang and truck) to accomodate that kind of engine?? Is MKR or some lincoln with RWD in plans . How much HP and torque can Taurus chassis and drivetrain handle?

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
In what car (beside mustang) would v6 with 450 hp find home??...
...Is MKR or some lincoln with RWD in plans . How much HP and torque can Taurus chassis and drivetrain handle?
tho I've been thinking a 3.5EB
closer to 400hp than 450,
& just speculating & perhaps dreaming/delusional
imho
• all/any D3-D4 LINCOLNS or their replacements (not Fords)
• all/any Rwd Lincolns (Mustang AND Falcon co-platforms)
• trucks like you mentioned (different config/tuning)
• *maybe* the Mustang ...depending on the Lincoln sportsedan/coupecabrio and what Mustang's future demographic wants

edit
almost forgot to include a Mission: Lincoln! Link

·
Registered
157 Posts
We need upgraded Heads for the 2.0 and even the 2.3 I4, heads with the Vertical DI injectors, Liquid Cooled Exhaust manifold, and liquid cooled EGR.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
just so I can ask:
WHERE'S THE 1.3?

& intro a new car blog...

Mulally Launches Production of 1.0 Litre EcoBoost Engine - BDFD.com (By Drivers For Drivers) & [email protected]
Ford announced today German production has started on the their 1.0 Litre EcoBoost engine family. The little 3-cylinder that can is scheduled to be launched first in Focus, then phased into B-Max and C-Max, and eventually find its way into markets globally.

Ford's press release is below:
Ford’s Mulally Launches Production of High-Tech 1.0-litre EcoBoost Engine Delivering Class-Leading CO2 in Ford Focus

• Ford President and CEO Alan Mulally launches production of new 1.0-litre EcoBoost in Cologne, Germany. Small but powerful engine will be available around the world
• Ford invests €134 million ($200 million) in new production line at Cologne Engine Plant with state-of-the-art manufacturing technology
• The engine will debut in the European Ford Focus in early 2012, giving the Focus class-leading petrol CO2 emissions and fuel economy. It will subsequently be offered on the Ford C-MAX and the new B-MAX in Europe, and other Ford vehicles around the world
• New 1.0-litre EcoBoost is Ford’s smallest petrol engine. The turbocharged, direct injection engine delivers the combinations of 125PS with 114g/km CO2 and 100PS with 109g/km CO2 in the Ford Focus
• The European-designed engine also will be built in Craiova, Romania, from early 2012, bringing total European production capacity to a potential 700,000 units per year in the years ahead, with annual worldwide production of up to 1.3 million engines anticipated​

More... including VIDEO

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

for those playing along at home
100PS = 98.6hp
125PS = 123.3hp
170Nm = 125.4 ft#
200Nm = 147.5 ft#

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
re: the ONE liter enigne:

ECOBOOST: IS FORD WORKING ON YET MORE POWER? - Pistonheads.com
145hp electric supercharged version may be in the works

...There had been whispers of a more powerful version bobbing around for a while and, when this story from The Engineer popped up on the thread in yesterday's story, we put two and two together...

...In order to get the extra power, the boost on the engine has been turned up, with the VTES (Variable Torque Enhancement System) electric supercharger (CPT's bit) helping to eliminate the turbo lag. The supercharger itself gets its boost from a trick microhybrid system from Valeo that uses regenerative braking as its power source.

All darn clever if you ask us, and the result is a Ford Focus prototype that can muster 145hp and 177lb ft of torque while at the same time emitting just 99g of CO2 per kilometre.

Is any of this officially headed for production? No. Will we see this engine in a Focus sometime soon? We'd put money on it. Will we like it? We hope so.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Guys, I heard rumour that there is a problem with 1.0 ecoboost engine pistons so mass production of 1.0T ecoboost hasnt begun yet in Cologne.. If the problem will be solved immediately, Mass production will begin late january or february

Any info?

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Guys, I heard rumour that there is a problem with 1.0 ecoboost engine pistons so mass production of 1.0T ecoboost hasnt begun yet in Cologne.. If the problem will be solved immediately, Mass production will begin late january or february

Any info?
sorry I missed your post, x-rated
don't think I've EVER heard anything bad about the 1.0
a lot of delays are just due to parts shortages

&
posted this elsewhere so here's a copy:
with Euro-style dual-tunes (sport vs mpg?)
2.3 high = 300**-325hp
2.3 low = 240hp
2.0 high = 280hp
2.0 low = 210hp
1.6 high = upto 225hp
1.6 low = 170? instead of the current ~180?
1.0 high = 140hp
1.0 low 105hp

** my pet category - also for the biggest D3/4's too (while they last)

edit
another benefit of 2 displacements for the larger 4cyl imho
is easily having 2 Atkinson versions for hybrids​

note: the 2.3 & 2.0 in my speculation are two sizes of the SAME new engine
note2: saw elsewhere a while back that the 1.3 engine is dead

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thanks to Jpd @ BON,
here's a .pdf document about EB development that's way more technical than a 'prediction'
Link (2.8mb)

&
a Link to the Mustang prediction thread
"...a 310 horsepower, 2.3 liter EcoBoost engine..."
which equals just shy of 135hp per liter

if it's under-hyped AT ALL, they're reaching the 140hp-per-liter goal!!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I hope they have a good plan to change over the current plants to new product. I would be a bit concerned if I was working in a plant that saw its engines offered on less and less models.

·
Registered
87 Posts
what about 1.5 EB that they announced for the new mondeo ?

An email answer from a FORD official
Hi,

It is correct that the European new Mondeo will get the 1.5-litre EcoBoost engine, not the 1.6-litre. The new Mondeo will be the first vehicle in Europe to feature the 1.5-litre EcoBoost engine.

This engine is the next step in the evolvement of the EcoBoost family. Further details on performance, fuel economy etc. will follow closer to launch.

Kind regards,

21 - 40 of 48 Posts