Ford Inside News banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

1. Cadillac CTS: This car has the best steering feel of the group. The G35's is quicker (faster ratio) but it's also heavier and, honestly, a bit too hyperactive. The Mercedes' is similar in feel and ratio, but it doesn't deliver the intuitive feedback that the CTS offers. Ride quality is softer than either, and it feels like the biggest and heaviest of the group -- probably because it is. It also has the best interior design in my opinion, though there are subtle aspects of its interior quality that could be better. In terms of audio/entertainment system -- both design, ergonomics and quality -- it nukes the others.
Personally, I think the only new vehicle this 2008 year that is going to rival cadillac is the XF. Others fail to come close in the mid Luxury price range. This is indeed a Shocker to imports, Just as the $$ is falling

FULL STORY

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I saw this over at GMI. It's great to finally see an American product compared favorably with the higher end imports.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It is good to see the CTS do well, but the BMW 335i is the best of that bunch, far and away...not sure why it wasn't included or even mentioned.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
It is good to see the CTS do well, but the BMW 335i is the best of that bunch, far and away...not sure why it wasn't included or even mentioned.
Well the things is that, that wasn't exactly a comparison test drive. More like the personal opinion of an Edmund's blogger, that has had the opportunity to drive the C350, the G37 and the CTS back to back. The opinion has its value though and is a good indication of the great car this new CTS seems to be. Now, if it only looked the part. . .

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The CTS is indeed amazing. But not everyone will like it, but, its just the beggining, with the Lincoln MKS coming, I think the tide is beggining to turn aganist imports.
There is still a lot to do, but this is indeed a turning point from the good old Catera days

·
Registered
764 Posts
I am going to congratulate Cadillac for building a true competitor to the 3 Series and G35. The old CTS was a good starting point and the new CTS improved upon the shortcomings of the old car. The interior looks great and the exterior is growing on me. Conrats, GM and Cadillac!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I like the new CTS but Caddy is walking a potentially fine line with the new model. They don't want to solidify the idea of this as a 3-Series competitor to securely since the CTS is headed for the realm of cars like the 5-Series next go around and they need to be prepared for that. But this new model isn't really ready for the 5-Series yet comparing much better to the 3-Series so they don't really want people to start thinking of of this car in those terms just yet. This whole cenario could really pay off for Caddy, but they do need to think about every step they take very carefully. The STS ended up in no mans land because Caddy didn't have a cohesive plan for the brand. Right now the CTS is on a much better track than the STS followed. lets hope Caddy can keep the course and follow through.

·
Registered
40 Posts
So did the compact luxury class grew? The C-Class and the 3-Series are still amongst the smallest at 182 and 178 inches in length respectively, the new G35 and CTS are the larger vehicles. Should it make the G35 and CTS in different catagory than the C-Class and 3-Series? Both are basically the same size as most mid-sized vehicles.

·
Registered
84 Posts
So did the compact luxury class grew? The C-Class and the 3-Series are still amongst the smallest at 182 and 178 inches in length respectively, the new G35 and CTS are the larger vehicles. Should it make the G35 and CTS in different catagory than the C-Class and 3-Series? Both are basically the same size as most mid-sized vehicles.
Really the CTS and G35 are 'tweeners' falling somewhere between cars like the 3-Series and 5-Series dimensionally. However, given the smallish interiors and price of entry of both the Infiniti and the Caddy I would say that, if they are to be grouped, the 3-Series and C-Class make for a better direct comparison that does the 5-Series or E Class. But each car is pushing the envelope.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The CTS doesn't have the interior space to be a 5-series competitor. I tried to sit in the back of one the other day and I had to tilt my head sideways; there was no headroom (Can you get it without the sunroof? That would probably help). The front seats were better, but my head was still brushing the roof.

The rest of the car is pretty amazing though. A great effort from GM. I'd love to take one for a spin. I actually bought a lottery ticket after looking at it (the first one I've ever bought, too bad I didn't win anything).

Hopefully the beautiful interior lasts longer than most GM interiors.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The CTS doesn't have the interior space to be a 5-series competitor. I tried to sit in the back of one the other day and I had to tilt my head sideways; there was no headroom (Can you get it without the sunroof? That would probably help). The front seats were better, but my head was still brushing the roof.

The rest of the car is pretty amazing though. A great effort from GM. I'd love to take one for a spin. I actually bought a lottery ticket after looking at it (the first one I've ever bought, too bad I didn't win anything).

Hopefully the beautiful interior lasts longer than most GM interiors.
How tall could you be?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts