Ford Inside News banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
via The Classic Lincoln and Continental Appreciation Society @ facebook
something I've posted about but never had a link for...

Positive Quiddity: Elwood Engel's 1961 Lincoln = dailyquiddity.blogspot
Tuesday, March 29, 2011
Posted by Edward H. Binns

The 1961 Lincoln Continental four door sedan and four door convertible represented a landmark in American automobile styling, a new dimension of understated elegance. It was designed by a team, but all the real work was done, and even the details were approved, by one man – stylist Elwood Engel. The cars were lovely, durable and test driven for 12 miles before being shipped to dealers. It immediately won design awards.

To my knowledge, this was the last time that a production automobile was essentially all designed by one man. And it shows – everything fits together stylistically and makes sense. The lines all speak with the same voice. Originally this automobile was designed as the new four-seat Thunderbird. A clay model was made in 1958. Then-president Robert McNamara saw it but picked the alternative design. Rather than rejecting Engel's design, he asked if it could be made a four-door model and used as the 1961 Lincoln. Here's the clay mock up that McNamara inspected:

More...

&
CarTopia: A book about yesterday's dreams of tomorrow's car by James Cherry

·
Registered
326 Posts
I don't think the market for such a car will ever exist, but Thunderbird should only be revived as a Ford version of a Lincoln RWD platform.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Elwood Engel's Tbird >> Continental

:thumb: Stéphane Dumas @ GMI posted a loooong/excellent article including this thread's material that I don't remember seeing before,
with Amazing stories about the people involved in the process = well worth the read :thumb:
my puter is having some trouble with the site,
if anyone wants to post more from it (esp pix), please do!

HowStuffWorks/1961 Lincoln Continental
(p1 of 10) Lincoln's 1961 models had timeless style that gave the marque a template for sorely needed design consistency...

(p2)...The ultimate failure of the 1958 Lincoln, and the backlash it created, resulted in Najjar's replacement by Don DeLaRossa as head of the Lincoln studio in October 1957. DeLaRossa wanted something different -- and smaller, but because of budget and time constraints, he was able to generate no more than superficial changes on the 1959 and 1960 Lincolns...

(p3) The car that was originally meant to become the 1961 Lincoln Continental was changed at least three times during its design process...
...Not all designers agreed that the next iteration of the Lincoln needed to show continuity with the Lincoln then on the market. Many designers felt that Lincoln needed a fresh start, and the sooner the better...

...clay modeler...Fred Hoadley, who accompanied (designer, Wes)Dahlberg to Germany...
...Hoadley returned home for a vacation about a year after Engel's visit and, while at the Styling Center, he saw the proposed 1961 Continental for the first time. Hoadley thought then, and continues to believe, that the Taunus 17M -- with its straight-edged fenderline and ovoid headlamps -- had a direct influence on the Continental...

(p9)...When it was finally revised, the full-sized clay model of the 1961 Continental was enthusiastically supported by Bill Ford and McNamara, and unanimously approved by the Product Planning Committee...

much Much MORE...

·
Registered
629 Posts
Interesting stuff ... thanks for posting it here ... & reviving this old thread, 2b2!

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 79 CC to 1995 Mercury Grand Marquis?!
"When you're surrounded by friends, they say the fun never ends" __ Glen Campbell __ 'Country Boy'

1 - 5 of 5 Posts