Ford Inside News banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Imho (at least) 2 lengths is a certainty AND a minimum - dictated by the differences between the US & China markets
Why is it the "LWB" models are only for the Chinese market? A common thread that I see running through so many auto reviews is the lack of rear leg room. The cars I'm referring to are models sold here in the U.S. However, many of these cars are sold in China with a stretched wb which magically solves this problem. Would these cars not sell better on our shores with the same LWB treatment? A couple of examples are the current MKS & the ATS but I know there are more. I'm just saying Americans also prefer comfort and convenience as much as the next guy. Does CAFE stand in the way? If so, we're smart enough to find an answer to the problem. (IMHO)

·
Registered
761 Posts
:thumb:
just-imho, the Suits recognize their own ignorance of the China market so
THEY GIVE CHINA ANYTHING IT ASKS FOR

the 'story' I see all the time is
IN CHINA, the owner sits in back - at least the owners of largish/Luxish sedans

on a less philosophical side,
there is some difference between stretching the rear compartment and spreading that stretch evenly front&back (see: Panther Taxi 6" stretch ... and check out the rear DOORS)

^all^just^imho^ :angel
I've had the pleasure of visiting China several times and I have been witness to this trend. A chauffeur driven car reflects the owner's status in their community. It's important and I get it. Automakers should add this feature to their products.

While I may not ride in my back seat I do care about the people who do. I'm concerned with their comfort and safety while a passenger in my car. My point is simple, I would be happy to purchase a LWB sedan and I think many others would as well.

Ford & Lincoln please bring these products to our market and enjoy continued growth. (imho)

·
Registered
761 Posts
I think this is where Lincoln MKZ (among others) needs attention . It is not so much the legroom, but the headroom which suffers because of the coupe-like roofline. For me, the only way a stretched wheelbase would make sense, is if the stretch was made in a way that the seatbacks would be further from the rear window, allowing tall people to sit comfortably. I really don't remember a time when so many mid-sized cars have had such useless rear seats for tall people.

This is another reason I wish small and mid-sized wagons would come back. They had all the rear headroom you needed.
Excellent point Logans Run I didn't think about the headroom problems with many new cars today. I too am a fan of the small & midsize wagons and would love to see Ford and others bring them back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts