Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ford sales are down -6.9% while Lincoln brand is once again down substantially at -23.4%

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/2018/03/01/feb-18-sales.pdf

EcoSport sold 2,300 units while Escape was down nearly 7,000 units for the month as Ford's overall Utility sales dropped -11%

Ford car sales were down only 10% this month as Focus and Fusion level off slightly while Taurus, Fiesta, and Mustang sank.

F-Series up to 68,000 units, its best February in 18 years.

Expedition sales are down significantly but retail share is up 41%.

 Overall Ford Motor Company U.S. sales for February totaled 194,132 vehicles – a 6.9 percent decline.
 Fleet performance is down 3.8 percent on sales of 71,059 vehicles.
 Ford’s overall transaction prices compare favorably against the industry, $36,200 versus $32,200. Retail sales totaled 123,073 vehicles last month, a decline of 8.5 percent.
 With the highest transaction pricing of any full-line automaker, Ford posted an increase of $2,100, with incentive spend down $80 compared to a year ago.
 Ford F-Series marks its best February sales performance in 18 years on total sales of 68,243 trucks. This is the 10th consecutive month of gains.
 At retail, all-new Ford Expedition sales saw a 41.4 percent sales gain; fleet is down 54.6 percent due to order timing. The days-to-turn rate is just 13 days.
 All-new Ford EcoSport sales are climbing as more dealer stock becomes available; EcoSport sales totaled 2,300 SUVs for February.
 Retail sales for the all-new Lincoln Navigator gained 60.1 percent last month, with customer sold orders outpacing supply. Overall transaction prices for Lincoln have grown $4,600 over last year.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Disappointing....

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I was curious and looked at both my local Lincoln dealers to see if they were starting to discount due to the poor sales and they are only offering 1k off at both locations.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Looking at the incentives on Lincolns in my area they appear to be down by almost half from normal. Lincoln incentives have been very low for years however, especially compared to Ford. I've never been able to get above $750 on my last 4 Lincolns and my 2018 was only $500 off (on a $64,000 car).

Incentives can vary by trim level but right now they range from $0 to $500 for MKC, A flat $250 on MKX, A flat $500 on MKZ, Nothing on Continental or Navigator.

So essentially, now is probably the worst time to buy a Lincoln unless you REALLY want one and I imagine this is the primary reason for the sales decline. Lincoln is probably trying to get it's ATPs higher and right-sizing it's customers to higher and higher pricing.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Looking at the incentives on Lincolns in my area they appear to be down by almost half from normal. Lincoln incentives have been very low for years however, especially compared to Ford. I've never been able to get above $750 on my last 4 Lincolns and my 2018 was only $500 off (on a $64,000 car).

Incentives can vary by trim level but right now they range from $0 to $500 for MKC, A flat $250 on MKX, A flat $500 on MKZ, Nothing on Continental or Navigator.

So essentially, now is probably the worst time to buy a Lincoln unless you REALLY want one and I imagine this is the primary reason for the sales decline. Lincoln is probably trying to get it's ATPs higher and right-sizing it's customers to higher and higher pricing.
Well that's the answer right there as to why sales have dropped so much the last two months. That's crazy.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
yes....wow.....another month down.....the Navi is still outsold by the Slade......btw Caddy is up, and they only have 2 CUV/SUV while Lincoln 3 (without the T). I mean, I understand that the sedans are down, but all the CUVs were down
Incentives (or a lack thereof) are clearly having a massive impact on Lincoln's sales. I'm not sure why they let this continue. I thought last month may've been an aberration, but it looks like the beginning of a disturbing trend.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is a huge deficit for Lincoln over the previous year, about 4,500 units down in the first 2 months (they usually grow annually by signficantly less than that). But I wonder if they are redistributing that volume to China. They can certainly recover that volume throughout the year with a fresh MKC and Nautilus to motivate a few more buyers, but much of this will continue to be offset by weakening MKZ and Continental sales along with higher prices. Navigator won't be a big volume seller but it certainly will be a huge part of the ATP story. The brand should look quite a bit better by the end of the year but growth is probably not the target in the US. Global growth might be a better story.

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
It seems like......

"With the highest transaction pricing of any full-line automaker, Ford posted an increase of $2,100, with incentive spend down $80 compared to a year ago"

Equals...

"Overall Ford Motor Company U.S. sales for February totaled 194,132 vehicles – a 6.9 percent decline"

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
But wait...I thought SUVs were the holy grail, that everyone wanted one and cars were on their way out.

But even Fusion was up 1.3 while Ford and Lincoln ALL SUVs/CUVs were down except Intercepter and Navigator.

Start broken record...

As long as Lincoln sticks with the quiet luxury concept, nobody will know they are there and will be forgotten. Quiet luxury = Zero Excitement.

SO let's see what Luxury Performance did in February.....

"The four biggest high-end manufacturers in the U.S. all reported gains in February, led by a 12 percent jump for Volkswagen AG’s Audi. Daimler AG-owned Mercedes-Benz continued to lead all premium brands in total sales. U.S. sales of luxury light vehicles rose 3.1 percent in February while the overall market skidded 2.3 percent."

Quiet Luxury might work as a 'theme' for particular Lincoln models, but NOT for a overall luxury brand.

Performance Luxury: sub 40 demographic
- New MKC and C-Segment Electric Sedan
- New MKX and MKZ Electric and Coupe

Quiet Luxury: 40+ demographic
Aviator - New Continental Electric
Navigator - New Large Sedan

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
"Toyota Camry, up 12%; Toyota Corolla, down 7.9%; Toyota RAV4, up 13%; Toyota Highlander, up 0.2%; Toyota Tacoma, up 18%; Lexus NX, up 21%; Lexus RX up 8.4%; Lexus LS up 86%; Lexus RC down 62%. U.S. sales of the new C-HR subcompact crossover tallied 4,420 in February."

But wait, now can this be. Camry sales are up 12% and LS sales are up 86% when sedans are supposed to be in a steady decline. Or maybe it matters if the automaker offers NEW models more consistently if they want more consistent sales increases. And not just a refresh and higher priced trim levels.

Toyota is making the point that if the automaker offers a NEW sedan and cuvs on a faster timetable, BOTH can increase YOY sales more consistently.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Seems Lincoln is moving in the opposite direction of what certain members here claimed they’d be at by now due to shrewd design and marketing. Here’s an appropriate tag line.. “Quiet Luxury...Luxury appeal so quiet no one will notice you”

FFS Lincoln...go bold and powerful in design and technology already or be completely forgotten. I’ve about given up on any resurgence here. A constant stream of effin boring cars for boring ppl.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
But wait, now can this be. Camry sales are up 12% QUOTE]

But
Accord (brand new) down 15.8%
Legacy down 15.4%
Malibu down 4%
Jetta down 42.9%
Optima down 28%
Mazda6 down 37.6%
Altima down 25.8%
Sonata down 55%

Of the 10s of thousands of sedan sales lost, Camry picked up a couple thousand.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
What can Ford do to reverse the losses?
Exactly what they have planned.
New CUV sized between Ecosport and Escape.
Model E CUV
Next Gen Escape a bit larger.
New Bronco
Ranger to US
Next Gen Edge offering a third row option.
Next Gen Explorer on RWD/AWD plaform with more room
Increased production of Expedition

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
What can Ford do to reverse the losses?
Exactly what they have planned.
New CUV sized between Ecosport and Escape.
Model E CUV
Next Gen Escape a bit larger.
New Bronco
Ranger to US
Next Gen Edge offering a third row option.
Next Gen Explorer on RWD/AWD plaform with more room
Increased production of Expedition
And Lincoln? What is wrong with it? Why the massive lose of sales? This month, all the luxury brands where up. Even Cadillac, with only one crossover and one big SUV is up. Is Lincoln a brand damaged permanently?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
We haven't seen such a sudden sales decline for Lincoln since 2013 but but we're still talking about 2 months out of a year, we need to see what happens over the next few months. I would say if this continues for 3 more months straight than it appears Lincoln is going through a sales correction. You also have to remember that Lincoln is not a strong luxury brand, it's best products are Continental (a declining segment) and Navigator (a niche segment). The MKZ, MKC, and MKX remain very unnoticed products and getting volume up relies on sorting out their struggling crossover business which are getting a slight boost later this year with a refresh which probably won't generate that much excitement for Lincoln but it should come with some renewed attention (especially with the Nautilus name change). Compared to Ford, Lincoln is still evolving it's products more significantly each time and making them better, Ford is still coasting with nothing to do.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
"Toyota Camry, up 12%; Toyota Corolla, down 7.9%; Toyota RAV4, up 13%; Toyota Highlander, up 0.2%; Toyota Tacoma, up 18%; Lexus NX, up 21%; Lexus RX up 8.4%; Lexus LS up 86%; Lexus RC down 62%. U.S. sales of the new C-HR subcompact crossover tallied 4,420 in February."

But wait, now can this be. Camry sales are up 12% and LS sales are up 86% when sedans are supposed to be in a steady decline. Or maybe it matters if the automaker offers NEW models more consistently if they want more consistent sales increases. And not just a refresh and higher priced trim levels.

Toyota is making the point that if the automaker offers a NEW sedan and cuvs on a faster timetable, BOTH can increase YOY sales more consistently.
It's well known Toyota is dumping the new Camry into fleets to pump up sales numbers, so to use that as an example of how car sales aren't going isn't accurate.

The LS is all new for the first time in what, 10 years? I'd hope it's sales would increase.

Seems Lincoln is moving in the opposite direction of what certain members here claimed they’d be at by now due to shrewd design and marketing. Here’s an appropriate tag line.. “Quiet Luxury...Luxury appeal so quiet no one will notice you”

FFS Lincoln...go bold and powerful in design and technology already or be completely forgotten. I’ve about given up on any resurgence here. A constant stream of effin boring cars for boring ppl.
Lincoln incentives have been next to nothing the last two months, while the competition has much better offers. It's not a surprise buyers are going for better deals. Sales don't drop like that that significantly for no reason. And it has nothing to do with the quiet luxury current direction.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Transaction price of Navigator in February was $19,400 higher than February 2017,
with the exception of maybe one Continental trim, no incentives to speak of
and lease rates that are barely competitive.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts