Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://youtu.be/bXFHgoon7lg

It’s a secret to no one that Ford is developing an all-electric version of America’s best-selling vehicle, the F-150. We’ve seen spy photos of two prototypes testing on public roads and today we can get the first glimpse of the electric truck’s actual capability. The Blue Oval automaker has released a demonstrational video, showing a pre-production F-150 EV test car towing more than one million pounds.

No, there isn’t a typo in the text above. For the clip, Ford has lined up 10 double-decker rail cars loaded with no less than 42 examples of the 2019 F-150. The total weight of the composition is way over one million pounds, which equals to approximately 453,592 kilograms or 453.5 tons. In the video above, the demonstration is performed with Linda Zhang, chief engineer of the Ford F-150, behind the wheel of the prototype.

“Ford has confirmed it will bring an all-electric F-150 to market,” the company explains. “This will be in addition to the all-new F-150 Hybrid that goes on sale next year. Both electrified models will have the toughness, capability, and innovation that F-150 customers have come to expect.”

Needless to say, Ford mentions the all-electric truck is towing “far beyond any production truck’s published capacity” and you should “never tow beyond a vehicle’s towing capacities.”

But what’s under the hood, you ask? Unfortunately, we can’t tell anything specific at this point. The prototypes from earlier this year featured battery packs installed underneath the cabin and a charging port integrated into the front bumper. Whether that’s the final layout and what’s hiding underneath the skin is completely unknown yet.

In January this year, Ford announced it’s already working on the all-electric F-150 through the voice of its President of Global Markets, Jim Farley. While the release date is also a mystery, the manufacturer promises “the all-electric Ford F-150 is coming” and we suspect we won’t see it until late next year or even 2021.

https://www.motor1.com/news/361301/f150-electric-towing-million-pounds/

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Looks like the F-150 will generate more revenue for Ford in California...

Where are you, Mooseman??? Hey!!!!

:laugh2:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Looks like the F-150 will generate more revenue for Ford in California...

Where are you, Mooseman??? Hey!!!!

/forums/images/FordInsideNews_2015/smilies/tango_face_smile_big.png
...I am happy to see Ford beginning to push EV as an answer to truck guys. Stereotype or not, a lot of truck guys think EVs are “gay.” The truth is, electric motors are awesome for pulling things. These kinds of ads from Ford will help EVs in general lose their image as being for mincing tree-huggers and push the truth that EVs represent an upgrade in performance and capability. The days of coal rolling are coming to a close. Kudos, Ford. I knew you were on the right track (pun intended).

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
Correction, the BEV truck pulled 1.25 Million pounds.

DEARBORN – As America’s truck leader, Ford prefers its actions to speak louder than words. In a demonstration of its extraordinary capability, an all-electric F-150 prototype recently towed 10 double-decker rail cars and 42 F-150s (in recognition of 42 years of Ford truck leadership) weighing more than 1 million pounds.

Linda Zhang, F-150 chief program engineer, was behind the wheel, working to demonstrate the instantaneous torque delivered by an electric motor in combination with the truck’s high-strength, military-grade, aluminum alloy body. Five F-150 owners also were on hand to witness the all-electric F-150 prototype move the massive collection of train cars 1,000 feet to the finish line.

“Nothing makes a bigger statement than being America’s best-selling pickup for the last 42 years,” said Zhang. “The all-electric F-150 will continue to have the toughness, capability and innovation F-150 customers have come to expect. We wouldn’t build an all-electric F-150 if it wasn’t Built Ford Tough.”

Behind the wheel

Zhang, a 23-year Ford veteran, is leading the F-150 program at a transformative time as the company prepares to bring more electrified powertrains into its lineup. Zhang, who assumed the role last year, sees it as just the latest in a long history of advances for Ford’s venerable pickup truck.

“F-150 has always been a leader,” she said. “We’ve led on EcoBoost engines and aluminum alloy bodies. This all-electric F-150 prototype is the latest in a long line of Built Ford Tough innovations for our customers. I’m really excited I’m able to lead and be part of our incredible team, but it’s part of our normal growth strategy to better serve truck customers.”

Zhang has worked in other departments throughout the company including finance, corporate strategy and manufacturing. Most recently, she was part of the product team behind the all-new 2020 Ford Explorer. That varied experience puts her in a unique position to lead.

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
So when you think about what Ford has learned through decades of truck leadership, countless development hours and testing, you start to wonder how the BEV truck competition will even keep up. Far more to trucks than sensors and software and apps.

Who remembers when Nissan and Toyota, both with many years of truck experience, decided to compete with full sized truck entries, and automotive forums were ablaze with chants about the Japanese eating Detroit's lunch.

How did that work out for the haters.

·
Registered
280 Posts
.... The days of coal rolling are coming to a close. Kudos, Ford. I knew you were on the right track (pun intended).
Not quite, there's still pollution in the production of electricity and the disposal of old batteries. But I get the gist of what you're saying.:)

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Not quite, there's still pollution in the production of electricity and the disposal of old batteries. But I get the gist of what you're saying.:)

...and maybe the pollution that come from the batteries production is greater than expected. The EVs only move the CO2 production outside the cities.

·
Registered
511 Posts
...I am happy to see Ford beginning to push EV as an answer to truck guys. Stereotype or not, a lot of truck guys think EVs are “gay.” The truth is, electric motors are awesome for pulling things. These kinds of ads from Ford will help EVs in general lose their image as being for mincing tree-huggers and push the truth that EVs represent an upgrade in performance and capability. The days of coal rolling are coming to a close. Kudos, Ford. I knew you were on the right track (pun intended).
I take a different view,
A lot of truck guy think that EVs are impractical, (not gay) simply
because they see no real support infrastructure for them and that makes them seem non-viable. As we've seen, that can all change in a short period of time now that there's a growing charging network. Give truck guys a proper BEV truck and they will give it a try, those attitudes already have changed big time over the last five years.

but before all of that, Ford's use of hybrids is about to expand big
time with hybrid Explorer in civilian and PI versions, hybrid Escape
coming and will build on what was done with Fusion, getting those
owners used to electrification.

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
We are only months away from the hybrid F150. Sales of it will weigh heavily on price and value to customer. Ford could package it with a bias for FE, using the same drivetrain as the Explorer hybrid.....or they could package it more for capability using the turbo 3.5L. Or offer both, which is more likely. Customers will benefit from what will no doubt be class leading metrics.

Ford seems to have everyone covered in their planning. Of course there will surely be those who only measure success in comparing who sells more BEV's. Idiocy is a choice, afterall.

·
Registered
546 Posts
.... The days of coal rolling are coming to a close. Kudos, Ford. I knew you were on the right track (pun intended).
Not quite, there's still pollution in the production of electricity and the disposal of old batteries. But I get the gist of what you're saying./forums/images/smilies/smile.gif
..,my power provider is closing two more coal plants in a couple years. Coal will have gone from almost 60% of their production mix in 2007 to around 20% in 2023. That’s why EVs are important. A gas car is as clean as it will ever be when it leaves the lot. An EV is as clean as you want it to be (like, if decide to put in your own solar). And, fortunately for me, one of the ones they are closing is 5mi from my house.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Not quite, there's still pollution in the production of electricity and the disposal of old batteries. But I get the gist of what you're saying./forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

...and maybe the pollution that come from the batteries production is greater than expected. The EVs only move the CO2 production outside the cities.
...actually, we’re 43% nuke, 10% hydro, and 3% solar and rising (use to be 60% coal, now 20%). How does that compare with your gas car? I also buy 600 kWh of renewable energy per month from my power provider for $16 extra to cover my cars (much cheaper than putting in my own solar), which requires my power provider to purchase that power from a renewable provider. So, my EVs are 100% clean.

Can you do that with your gas car?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Ford seems to have everyone covered in their planning. Of course there will surely be those who only measure success in comparing who sells more BEV's. Idiocy is a choice, afterall.
...next time an ad comes on with Ford crowing about 42 years of sales leadership, I’ll chuckle at the irony of your statement.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Some guy pulled a 560K pound train with his teeth. So, he and his brother could match this feat!

Reactions: igor2

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
"My EVs are 100% clean"

Really?

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/11/battery-batteries-electric-cars-carbon-sustainable-power-energy/

"Batteries powering electric vehicles are forecast to make up 90% of the lithium-ion battery market by 2025. They are the main reason why electric vehicles can generate more carbon emissions over their lifecycle – from procurement of raw materials to manufacturing, use and recycling – than petrol or diesel cars. Three factors account for this."
"Firstly, producing an electric vehicle contributes, on average, twice as much to global warming potential and uses double the amount of energy than producing a combustion engine car. This is mainly because of its battery. Battery production uses a lot of energy"
"Secondly, once in use, an electric vehicle is only as green as the electricity that feeds its battery. A coal-powered battery is dirtier than a solar-powered battery"
"Thirdly, while an electric vehicle has a higher carbon footprint at the beginning of its lifecycle, it is typically cleaner once in use"

Ditto, the EVs moves the carbon emissions outside the cities, but doesn´t eliminate them.

·
Registered
528 Posts
"My EVs are 100% clean"

Really?

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/11/battery-batteries-electric-cars-carbon-sustainable-power-energy/

"Batteries powering electric vehicles are forecast to make up 90% of the lithium-ion battery market by 2025. They are the main reason why electric vehicles can generate more carbon emissions over their lifecycle – from procurement of raw materials to manufacturing, use and recycling – than petrol or diesel cars. Three factors account for this."
"Firstly, producing an electric vehicle contributes, on average, twice as much to global warming potential and uses double the amount of energy than producing a combustion engine car. This is mainly because of its battery. Battery production uses a lot of energy"
"Secondly, once in use, an electric vehicle is only as green as the electricity that feeds its battery. A coal-powered battery is dirtier than a solar-powered battery"
"Thirdly, while an electric vehicle has a higher carbon footprint at the beginning of its lifecycle, it is typically cleaner once in use"

Ditto, the EVs moves the carbon emissions outside the cities, but doesn´t eliminate them.
Can we retire this debunked and dead wrong myth? Yeah, building batteries is 'costly' but it is not even close over the lifecycle, unless you cherry pick examples.

1) Battery production pollutes, but does motor oil every 3k miles come from fairy dust?
Yeah batteries have byproducts. so does oil extraction, refining, motor and transmission oil manufacturing and disposal. I have yet to see a study on Co2 impact of EV vs gas that actually includes all the liquids required over the life of the car -- almost always only gasoline is included. This also ignores all the oil spills large and small and other pollution from processing all the liquids necessary to keep a gas car running. And EV gets a batter, has AC coolant, brake fluid, and tires (all three of which pollute, but are identical between the types ) and needs no other maintenance.

2) per mile - already cleaner in every state
https://afdc.energy.gov/vehicles/electric_emissions.html

Already today CO2 per mile is way less in an EV compared to a gas car

3) EVs will keep getting leaner - a gas car will not
Here is where EVs shine. Every day the grid get greener. Every day you charge, you're charging with less CO2 per kW. Over the life of the truck, we will make hugestrides in making the grid greener, as the price of solar and wind falls below coal and competitive with natural gas - the price fall of renewables has been nothing but staggering. As of this year, in the US, it's coal that would need subsidy to be price competitive .. not renewables.

Unless politicians get in the way for political purposes within the life cycle of a 2020 truck we will see hus transfer of electricity generation in the US from coal to natural gas and to renewables. It's happening today, and tomorrow, and accelerating.

This is why EV's are 'clean' because we can keep making them cleaner. That 20mpg gast truck will get 20mpg in 2020 and what? 16mp in 2030, making it not cleaner and likely less clean as it ages with no way to make it cleaner until it is retired and replaced by a new model.

4) You dismiss urban air pollution as a minor afterthought .. it is not
We kill about 100k americans every year with air pollution in US cities ... that is also a huge deal
https://www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2019-04-08/100-000-americans-die-from-air-pollution-study-finds

No EVs are not '100 clean' and but they are heck of a lot cleaner than a gas only car of the same size - they are cleaner now, and will keep being cleaner rover their lifecycle.

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
Igor,
a few comments on your comments.

Battery material mining and production costs a lot, and introduces a lot of pollution as well. Oil production to gas, costs a tiny fraction. And I hear that oil production costs are going down faster and faster, with technology still in it's infancy. Not so with Battery material.

Also, I have never owned a vehicle that decreases in efficiency. If it does, you would need equipment to detect it. And ICE engines are getting cleaner, as our focus currently is on 40-45% efficiency for future engines.

As for CO2, there is no such thing as too much. That's a fact that greenies will not admit. CO2 is good for our planet, and through history, every time life prospered, was during high levels of CO2 on the planet. We have been at the lowest level for centuries now, and slight increases is a good thing. All BS what some want you to believe.

And finally, recycling of batteries on a massive scale has scientists baffled as to how to handle it. Massive problem.

All facts.

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
...next time an ad comes on with Ford crowing about 42 years of sales leadership, I’ll chuckle at the irony of your statement.
WTF?
Maybe you should use that opportunity to instead remind yourself of the importance of segment leadership (which everyone does) and how it impacts sales......instead of bragging one day (and we know you will) that Tesla sells more BEV trucks (if true) and is somehow a leader.

Nice truck, malaka.

·
Registered
280 Posts
........my EVs are 100% clean.
Not quite, unless your car and all of its constituent parts are reusable/recyclable you can't say that. But I understand what your trying to imply. Again, batteries produce massive amounts of pollution in both production (extraction of multiple types of raw materials) and disposal and can irreversibly damage ecosystems. Also, battery R&D is extremely expensive and any meaningful battery life extending will be decades away.

Many will fall for this farcical thinking simply because no emissions are coming directly out of their cars therefore it must be completely clean!

The point is, EV pollution still exists, is not the final answer to solving the environmental crisis, and while they typically produce fewer life cycle emissions than ICE vehicles the exact amount of these emissions depends on your electricity mix, which varies greatly by geographic location.

By the way enjoy your C8, I'm sure you'll immediately convert it to EV so it'll be "100% clean". ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oil production to gas is tiny? It takes significant energy to convert crude to gasoline. And transport it to the station. Transmission of electrical power from plant to destination is only about 5%. https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=105&t=3

No such thing as too much CO2 is a fact? Then all those scientists that think otherwise are wrong I suppose. Please support this fact.

Battery recycling is done by shredding them, sorting the materials and melting them down for re-use. They aren't taken to the dump. Once they are too degraded for use in the vehicle, re-using the battery cells for use in the grid for buffering energy can provide a second life in reducing the pollution of the grid. The vehicle manufactures should be thinking ahead of how to deal with the volume of batteries in the future. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-06-27/where-3-million-electric-vehicle-batteries-will-go-when-they-retire

This is the power mix in the USA for 2018 https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=427&t=3

1 - 20 of 63 Posts