Ford Inside News banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
crossreference: Falcon Teased, autoshow thread...

2014 Ford Falcon To Be Facelift Rather Than Rebadged Taurus: Report - MotorAuthority
By Viknesh Vijayenthiran Viknesh Vijayenthiran
Jan 3, 2013

Ford’s Australian division has confirmed that a new version of its Falcon sedan will be launched in 2014, one featuring Evos concept-inspired styling, a premium interior and more technology than the current ‘FG’ model

This will hopefully alleviate dismal sales of the Falcon, which have been on the decline for several years and most recently were hovering at less than 1,000 units per month...

...According to Car Sales, the new Falcon won’t be a rebadged Taurus just yet but an extensive upgrade of the current model, which can trace its roots back to the ungainly ‘AU’ model launched in 1998.

While the windows and doors will likely stay the same (the most expensive area to redesign), virtually every other exterior element will change. Insiders have suggested a look similar to that of the new Ford Fusion.

The current model’s engines will also carry over but with revisions to improve fuel economy. The base unit will be a 2.0-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder, followed by the locally-developed 4.0-liter straight-six engine in mid-level trim. A V-8 will top the range, either in a revived XR8 or in a new FPV model...

...One bright spot is the suggestion that the investment required for the Falcon upgrade will likely ensure production continues beyond 2016. The decision, however, will almost certainly be based on whether the updated Falcon and its Territory derivative increase sales significantly from current levels.

Eventually the Falcon will move to a global platform, and possibly be sourced from outside Australia, though at this point it’s not clear what Ford is planning.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is some good news this just made my weekend happy now get them over to the USA and CAN Ford Falcon could go up against the new Chevrolet SS Preformance Sedan and the Dodge Charger an Chrysler 300. Make it the ford Flagship car above the Taurus.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...Make it the ford Flagship car above the Taurus.
umm...
would a CONTINENTAL counts as a Ford (Corp.) flagship (way) above the Taurus?

I include a Tbird in my crazy theory
but
think it'd be much better for Lincoln not to share that much with the Ford Brand
+ don't think Ford really needs a new Tbird in the near future

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Replace the current Taurus with this Falcon, and watch sales drop like a rock.
This is not an attractive car either, with styling from the 80's.

Having rwd in a family sedan does little to impress me more than a good awd system. So that much is hardly a bonus for me.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just imho^
the Falcon's styling requires a different mindset to appreciate - kinda the opposite of a lot of european cars that look 'twisted' to me or Japanese cars that are just SILLY+UGLY;
the Falcon looks anywhere from incredible/classy to frumpy/drab depending on the angle of the photo.

One thing for sure, I'd give a kidney** to have a Falcon to drive for the rest of 2013!!
= turbo Barra + ZF autotranny-iirc
** not mine, but I'd find one somewhere

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Replace the current Taurus with this Falcon, and watch sales drop like a rock.
This is not an attractive car either, with styling from the 80's.

Having rwd in a family sedan does little to impress me more than a good awd system. So that much is hardly a bonus for me.
I personally think the Falcon is a good looking car. However I don't think the Taurus should be RWD, the whole point of the Taurus if everyone remembers was to replace the RWD LTD in the 80s with FWD and it was a success at it. If there were to be a RWD car in the lineup I could see it being positioned above the Taurus.

·
Registered
607 Posts
IMHO the Falcon is a better looking car than the current Tauus, which looks good, if a bit tall and blunt front and rear. No reason, though, why they both can't be sold next to each other on the same showroom floor. Chevy's goning to do that with the Impala and SS soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts