·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fiat 500 Wagon Slated for U.S. Market In 2013
By: Danny Choy
17/01/2012
AutoGuide

It’s no surprise that the 500′s return to North America did not make the splash that Fiat expected. Having sold less than 20,000 vehicles in its first model year in the United States, the 500 only did half as well as the company initially forecasted.

The success of the 500 is essential to the Italian automaker’s re-entry into the North American market. In Europe, Fiat sold more than 770,000 units since the 500′s introduction in 2007. Fiat/Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne admitted that the 500′s weak performance was in part due to overly-optimistic forecasting. “We thought we were going to show up and just because of the fact people like gelato and pasta, people will buy it.”

However, Fiat believes that creating variants for the 500 could help boost its popularity.

Full text at link

·
Registered
997 Posts
Sounds like Fiat is trying to be a Mini somehow. Actually Fiat needs other vehicles based off the 500 such as a sedan and modern X 1/9 Targa sports car to pick up the sales. Even more actually, Fiat needs to become the "Plymouth" of the group. Dodge carries performance, Chrysler carries Luxury so it would make sense to have a Brand to carry value and back to basics transportation.(not just 1 model either) Anyone remember the Fiat 128 back in the '70's? Didn't that offer a sedan, coupe and Pininfarina 2-seat sports car in addition to the Bertone X 1/9? I miss my then new '86 X 1/9. I have to find a picture I took of the car (several pictures taken) and post it here.

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like Fiat is trying to be a Mini somehow. Actually Fiat needs other vehicles based off the 500 such as a sedan and modern X 1/9 Targa sports car to pick up the sales. Even more actually, Fiat needs to become the "Plymouth" of the group. Dodge carries performance, Chrysler carries Luxury so it would make sense to have a Brand to carry value and back to basics transportation.(not just 1 model either) Anyone remember the Fiat 128 back in the '70's? Didn't that offer a sedan, coupe and Pininfarina 2-seat sports car in addition to the Bertone X 1/9? I miss my then new '86 X 1/9. I have to find a picture I took of the car (several pictures taken) and post it here.
They needed the Punto and Bravo here along with the 500 when they launched the brand.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
re: Cinquecento

"Frankly, my dear..."

X 1/9 made my ears perk up

&
I'm think "124", yes/no?
(my puter hasn't been search-friendly lately)
&
tho before my having-a-car days started
had a major crush on both 850's

1 - 5 of 5 Posts