1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subcompact, but Far From Substandard
By Dan Edmunds, Director of Vehicle Testing | Published May 4, 2010

...Wait No More
At the Embarcadero in San Francisco, an attendant brings a 2011 Ford Fiesta SES hatchback painted in aptly named Yellow Blaze Metallic paint to the curb and hands us the keys.

Key fob is more like it, because this one has an optional push-button entry and keyless start system that comes with heated front-seat cushions and other goodies our Euro tester never had (for $795). We open the door and settle into supportive black leather-trimmed seats with ivory piping ($715). How much does this thing cost, anyway?

According to the window sticker in the glovebox, our top-line SES hatch starts at $17,795, including $675 for destination. Standard features include Sync, Sirius Satellite Radio, an upgraded 80-watt six-speaker stereo, 195/50R16 all-season tires, cruise control and audio controls on the leather-wrapped steering wheel, bonus interior and exterior lighting and other details. The aforementioned options, plus another $300 for the Screaming Yellow Zonker paint, bring the total up to $19,605.

The price can go up further if you add a moonroof ($695) or the six-speed automatic ($1,070). The latter is desirable because in reality it's a slick-shifting dual-clutch automated manual transmission (but with manual shifting capability curiously absent), and it helps the Fiesta deliver its best fuel economy, an estimated 30 mpg city and 40 mpg highway.

Preparing for Liftoff
...While we wait for the 12-gallon tank to fill through the Easy Fuel capless fuel filler, we pair our iPhone with Sync so we can make hand-free calls and stream Bluetooth audio. But this version of Sync includes something new called Traffic, Directions and Information (TDI).

TDI is essentially turn-by-turn navigation that's integrated into Sync's voice command structure, but it actually uses your Bluetooth-paired phone (smart or dumb) to make a toll-free call to an automated operator who asks you your destination. Once complete, the route is downloaded into the car, the call hangs up and guidance begins via voice commands and visual prompts on the in-car screen...

Up and Over the Mountain
At Taft, we refill the tank and discover we've averaged 39.1 mpg since we started. On the straights, we never went faster than 75 mph, but the Fiesta didn't need to slow down a whole lot for the corners, either. If this is hypermiling, sign us up...

What It All Means
It's clear that Ford has tried to make sure the Americanized version of the new Ford Fiesta didn't go all soft. This car brakes, steers and handles every bit as well as the European Fiesta we tested last year. It rides with the steadiness of a bigger car, yet it doesn't feel heavy.

A bit of performance has been traded for fuel economy, but even here the U.S.-spec Ford Fiesta is about as quick as a Honda Fit (with stability control similarly enabled) while achieving about 3 or 4 mpg more. The gains are meaningful and we think it has been a worthwhile trade.

On top of that, the 2011 Ford Fiesta range has a longer list of standard and optional equipment than most, if not all, subcompacts. One could easily spend $2,000 or $3,000 less than our test car by starting with an SE or avoiding premium paint, push-button start and leather.

We're relieved to say that the 2011 Ford Fiesta SES is a compelling subcompact that retains much of what drew us to the new Fiesta in the first place. They didn't screw it up. Time to uncross those fingers. Ford just hit another home run.

more... including 27 photos

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Sounds great, now if Ford would drop the price on it a bit.... I understand theirs is an SES but still its a bit high for a car under a Foucs

·
Registered
919 Posts
I think your right Andrew but I did go with everything they offered in the SES except I didn't have to pay a premium for the paint job though. Since my Milan had leather I was spoiled so I wanted the leather and since the Push Button option came with heated seats, it was an added bonus.

There is great videos from Fiesta drivers on the Ford Fiesta Movement website, one was where the guy put a 40" LCD TV in the trunk and had the Fiesta power that and the Wii he played from the trunk. I am just trying to figure that out and afford the 40" TV then you will see me playing Wii outside of work after 11pm...lol....I am actually trying to accomplish this.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
30 MPG city is impressive. Very impressive.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FIESTA Test Drives...

2011 Ford Fiesta SEL - Short Take Road Test - Car and Driver

Price aside, the Ford Fiesta sedan hits marks.

BY TONY SWAN
June 2010
One of the small but brilliant stars of the 2007 Frankfurt auto show was a three-door hatchback concept that looked like the automotive equivalent of a piranha—small but with a pretty fierce bite.

Ford called it the Verve, but it was clearly a tease for the next generation (number six) of the Fiesta. And when high fuel prices provoked a crescendo in U.S. subcompact sales, Ford decided to bring the Fiesta back to this market, its first appearance here since 1980 and also the company’s first North American subcompact since the unlamented departure of the Kia-supplied Aspire in 1998.

Our initial encounters with Euro-spec Fiesta five-doors, including a New York–to–Seattle drive, were positive...

...Fuel economy should be a strong suit—the EPA forecasts 28 mpg city and 37 highway for the manual, 29 and 40, respectively, for the automatic—but, as usual, we underachieved: 29 mpg.

Though the U.S. product planners initially resisted, there will be a five-door Fiesta in Ford’s North American lineup. Fiesta prices start with a base four-door at $13,995 and culminate with the five-door SES at $17,795. Our well-equipped SEL sedan carried an MSRP of $16,995...

More...

Related posts:
  1. 2010 Ford Fusion SEL V6 – Short Take Road Test
  2. 2011 Ford Fiesta – Road Test
  3. 2010 Ford Fiesta – Mini Test Road Test

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: FIESTA Test Drives...

Review: 2011 Ford Fiesta S sedan - Examiner.com

July 13, 6:50 PM
Autos Examiner - Brady Holt
The car pictured above is a transmission away from being the cheapest vehicle Ford is selling today – the cheapest trim of the cheapest body style of the cheapest model, with no options but the six-speed automatic.

So why doesn't it look or feel cheaper?

This base 2011 Fiesta S sedan – which wears a sticker price of just over $15,000 as tested – has escaped Ford's tendency toward equipping base and even mid-trim cars with cheap-looking gray plastic exterior bits; the entire line has body-colored mirrors and door handles. The stylized hubcaps mimic the look of the pricier models' alloy wheels, and the interior features flashy two-tone seats and trim. And a lack of zippy acceleration is its only obvious concession to minimizing price and maximizing fuel economy on the road...

...Stripped-down doesn't mean bare-bones by the standard of some subcompact cars. Air conditioning is standard, as are power locks (an essential feature in a car with no lock buttons on the doors) and a complement of safety features that includes antilock brakes with traction and stability control and seven airbags. It does mean crank windows and paying extra for a CD player – a feature this test car turned out to be missing and that would be next to impossible to squeeze into the stylish dash after purchase. (Young buyers may be satisfied with the standard MP3 input anyway.)...

...Ford is only just now ramping up production on the U.S.-spec Fiesta at a Mexican facility, making inventory scarce. Many dealers have yet to receive any vehicles and others, like Apple Ford, have only one with the potentially undesirable lack of power windows and a CD player. Production delays, delivery issues and heavy pre-release marketing will no doubt combine to inflate early demand and, as a result, prices, making for good reasons to wait a bit before trying to nab a Fiesta.

But if you're looking for style, a premium feel, or minimal fuel consumption out of your subcompact – and don't mind giving up interior volume to get it – you may well find it worth the wait.

Check back later this summer for a review of a higher-trim Fiesta hatchback with the manual transmission.

More... incldg 20 pix

·
Registered
919 Posts
Yeah, I am still waiting for mine and I preordered. The car sits in Mexico and has been for over a month now. I am not sure what the issue was when it could have been loaded on a train, but now there are issues with the hurricane and tropical storm. 2 more weeks, but I called and spoke to the reservation team which is a joke, and they are escalating my issue. I turn in my Milan tomorrow and will have no car. This just doesn't seem like the VIP treatment I was expecting. As soon as I get it, I will post pictures galore and give my review. I ordered the SES Hatch fully loaded minus the moon roof, and SFE package or tatoo's. Should be a lot of fun though when I get to sit in it. Hopefully it will be in before I turn 30 next month.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts