Ford Inside News banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Motortrend online has a decent "First Drive" of the 2015 Navigator. The writer is impressed with the dramatically improved performance and especially likes the 2015 Navigator L. I think the writer believes this is a competent interim Navigator until it's replacement arrives! :thumb:
true hbmf3, some parts of the article that I like:

Anyhow, compared to the 6.2-liter V-8 you’d find in the Cadillac Escalade, it’s all Lincoln. Sure, on paper the Caddy’s got more power (420 hp compared to 380 hp) and the same amount of torque. From behind the wheel, however, the Lincoln’s more gutsy. All that torque down so low in the rev range is just awesome. The Navigator feels mightier than the Escalade

The leather is fairly high-end, too. I could actually smell it from outside the vehicle when the door was opened. Smelled nice

Step up to the 131-inch Navigator L, find a freeway, stick her in Comfort mode, and you’d swear you’re actually behind the wheel of a 1972 Continental. All that’s missing are the pleated seats. That extra foot seems to correct every ride-quality issue I have with the standard length Navigator. You’d think that the bigger car would feel slower or drive worse, but honestly it just feels like a more luxurious vehicle. That right there is yet another advantage of having all that gooey torque available almost immediately and so low in the rev range

this I don't like and I hope they are wrong:
Especially as this Navigator will probably be around until 2019 and beyond.

.....but even then the Navigator’s ride -- despite the independent rear suspension -- just isn’t as smooth as it should be. There’s an awful lot of chatter and fidgety heaving all coming from the rear of the car. Having the IRS is still a packaging breakthrough, allowing fully flat folding rear seats. The independent rear end also gives the Navigator a much roomier third row than the competition from Cadillac. But the ride should be better.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
also, I don't understand why the Slade has a 6.2l V8 and it has a similar fuel economy, at least that is what I am seeing as comments in some carblogs

·
Registered
717 Posts
First: Hey wings, we all know the '15 is a interim product, the respones abut it dating back to the 97 model was in response of someone saying that it doesn't, when it clearly does.
Second: these changes that you say don't effect anything CLEARLY do. The majority of the navi exterior is based on design tactics (huge greenhouse, heavy back end) that were prelevant in the 90s, which is why it was passed on attractiveness by the Slade and why it looks so dated. Once agan, the buyer in the segment is not so concerned about function, and that greatly shows, because the Navi has ALWAYS lead in the function arena.
Third: wings YOU may not think any of these things matter much, but the consumer for this segment clearly feels otherwise, and that directly correlates with the fact that the Slade has been completely redesigned THREE DIFFERENT TIMES in the time that the Navi has been getting refreshments of refreshments
Fourth: wings, do you know how much power engines typically lose when running 87 octane instead of 93???

You really LOVE to cry but for what I ask you. Navi was overlooked for a very long time. Almost forgotten. How is constantly saying that over and over and over and over gonna change anything. (Hint: It won't) You just love to talk crap about Lincoln is all.

It is an interim refresh now that is a good refresh but a refresh none the less. They are gonna have an ALL NEW model in a few years so why waist more money than they have to on an interim refresh model.

Did you really bellieve they would do anymore than they did with this refresh?
Did you really think they would make this refresh all aluminum?
Did you really think they would give this refresh a completely from scratch new interior and exterior.

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
First: Hey wings, we all know the '15 is a interim product, the respones abut it dating back to the 97 model was in response of someone saying that it doesn't, when it clearly does.
Second: these changes that you say don't effect anything CLEARLY do. The majority of the navi exterior is based on design tactics (huge greenhouse, heavy back end) that were prelevant in the 90s, which is why it was passed on attractiveness by the Slade and why it looks so dated. Once agan, the buyer in the segment is not so concerned about function, and that greatly shows, because the Navi has ALWAYS lead in the function arena.
Third: wings YOU may not think any of these things matter much, but the consumer for this segment clearly feels otherwise, and that directly correlates with the fact that the Slade has been completely redesigned THREE DIFFERENT TIMES in the time that the Navi has been getting refreshments of refreshments
Fourth: wings, do you know how much power engines typically lose when running 87 octane instead of 93???

Interesting,
so updates like completely new IRS suspensions from air bag solid axles, integration of transfer case to 6 speed transmission housings, frame upgrades, steering system upgrades, new GTDI engine replacing V8, fold flat seats, deployable running boards, extended length models, CCD suspension, 3 levels of significant cosmetic changes, and many more improvements.......means squat because they did not re-bend several body panels enough to claim "all new."

Meanwhile the caddy is riding on the same suspension and same basic V8 but now with DI.....oooooh!!! And that does not matter, because they have more new bends in the sheet metal.

Perfect.

Oh, and BTW.....the caddy also requires premium fuel to obtain it's power levels.

·
Registered
456 Posts
You really LOVE to cry but for what I ask you. Navi was overlooked for a very long time. Almost forgotten. How is constantly saying that over and over and over and over gonna change anything. (Hint: It won't) You just love to talk crap about Lincoln is all.

It is an interim refresh now that is a good refresh but a refresh none the less. They are gonna have an ALL NEW model in a few years so why waist more money than they have to on an interim refresh model.

Did you really bellieve they would do anymore than they did with this refresh?
Did you really think they would make this refresh all aluminum?
Did you really think they would give this refresh a completely from scratch new interior and exterior.
It's called addressing something that's being stated. You don't see me just simply stating that the navi is old out of no where. Certain talk out of there *** about things as if it's FACT but then when I state FACTS, somehow they focus on something else without admitting they were incorrec, it's funny really ANYWAYS, good to see the eb has tons of low end gusto, as it's one of the bright spots I predicted and loves that the leather has the oh so good stench

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Second gen still has the best looking exterior and interior. Look at that interior picture, it looks so upscale!
I really want to try mixing & matching some parts from each, with a dark upper "layer" including the center vents
:joyous:

long video, it really starts at 14 min and finish at 52 min. there is a lot of parts about the guy talking but there are some nice shots of the Navi, it looks better in videos than photos
actually it seemed like 26:00 - 29:30 became car-time :joyous:

edit: made me realize I've been out of Bourbon for too long

re-edit: I liked his near-closing comment about
"creative", "Luxury" and "the way they take care of me"

Oh! and Mark Phelan stayed at the same hotel :thumb: I remember him commenting about the penguins on fb

·
Registered
717 Posts
It's called addressing something that's being stated. You don't see me just simply stating that the navi is old out of no where. Certain talk out of there *** about things as if it's FACT but then when I state FACTS, somehow they focus on something else without admitting they were incorrec, it's funny really ANYWAYS, good to see the eb has tons of low end gusto, as it's one of the bright spots I predicted and loves that the leather has the oh so good stench

LOL......yep you will continue to cry and repeat the same old crap over and over.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Just to set the record straight, I'm surprised nobody has corrected these false statements yet..........

Hate to be a negative nancy about this but yes the platform did change in 2003 however a lot of the exterior was a carryover

1997-2002
No, the 2003 was almost entirely new, the body (every panel; inside & out) as well as most, if not all of the chassis. The 1997-2002 was an F150 with a SUV body, the 2003 was its own vehicle. Now since 2003 - Yes, basically a refresh here an update there..........

Lol, are you serious? You are aware that the navi has NEVER had a clean sheet FULL redesign?, others have posted pics to prove this. The current vehicle, STILL has many components from the first Navi back in 1998, you may not want to believe that but facts are fact. Yes the 03 was mostly different from the 1st Gen, but almost all those changes were to the platform, and suspension. Almost every exterior panel including the entire bodyshell, door, windows, sigtlines were carried over from the 98 model and have not changed since, which is why I say that Navi sales will improve BUT they won't be stealing anything away from the Slade but it's an all new appliance with all new styling (controversial or not), and its no ones fault except fords. The Navi invented this segment basically, but just think about this for a sec; the Slade has had 4 vehicular generations will the navi has had 1.5, and I'm not harping on spoiled milk, just responding to someone who CLEARLY was unaware of what they were talking about...anyways, can't wait on comparison test
See my comment above.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Just to set the record straight, I'm surprised nobody has corrected these false statements yet..........

No, the 2003 was almost entirely new, the body (every panel; inside & out) as well as most, if not all of the chassis. The 1997-2002 was an F150 with a SUV body, the 2003 was its own vehicle. Now since 2003 - Yes, basically a refresh here an update there..........

See my comment above.
almost good Ed :D the 2003 model still was in the U platform (F150) and it was a redesign of the 1998 model.
then the 2007 model has its own platform the T1

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
almost good Ed :D the 2003 model still was in the U platform (F150) and it was a redesign of the 1998 model.
Maybe this can help clear things up...

"Both the Navigator and Expedition were redesigned for 2007 and based on Ford's T1 platform, which is related to the same platform that the 2004+ F-150 is based on. Compared to the Navigator's previous platform, the new platform provides greater rigidity for better driving dynamics. The independent rear suspension has been replaced with a new five-link IRS design to further enhance handling and ride quality." - Wikipedia

But even with moving to a new platform, it looks like the body/frame remained the same.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Interesting,
so updates like completely new IRS suspensions from air bag solid axles, integration of transfer case to 6 speed transmission housings, frame upgrades, steering system upgrades, new GTDI engine replacing V8, fold flat seats, deployable running boards, extended length models, CCD suspension, 3 levels of significant cosmetic changes, and many more improvements.......means squat because they did not re-bend several body panels enough to claim "all new."

Meanwhile the caddy is riding on the same suspension and same basic V8 but now with DI.....oooooh!!! And that does not matter, because they have more new bends in the sheet metal.

Perfect.

Oh, and BTW.....the caddy also requires premium fuel to obtain it's power levels.
With ALL that you just mentioned, if in fact, the customer valued those things soooo sooo much, then why would the Slade have increased its market share and ATPs to the point that it doesn't even compete with the navi (the Denali does now)??? Ohhhh it must be because the customer in this market DOES NOT care that much about function, they do however extremely value style power and design, and give the fact that the Slade has been redesigned 4 complete times to the Navis 1.5 along with completely thrashing the navi in the engine department, I'd say someone made the correct decision (GM) and someone didn't (Ford)

·
Registered
500 Posts
I can't speak to the platform aspect, I don't know. My comments were mostly aimed at those that were saying the 1997-2002 body/doors were the same as 2003-up, that is flat-out wrong, they were different.

Parts from the 1997-2002 Expedition/Navigator were interchangeable with the 1997-2003 F150, much of the chassis, brakes, doors, dash, fenders, hood, windshield, etc.

Now fast-forward to 2004, with the new F150............ they weren't interchangeable with the 2003-up Expedition/Navigator, thus my comment; "the 2003 was its own vehicle".

Hope I got everybody straightened out and off the ledge.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I can't speak to the platform aspect, I don't know. My comments were mostly aimed at those that were saying the 1997-2002 body/doors were the same as 2003-up, that is flat-out wrong, they were different.

Parts from the 1997-2002 Expedition/Navigator were interchangeable with the 1997-2003 F150, much of the chassis, brakes, doors, dash, fenders, hood, windshield, etc.

Now fast-forward to 2004, with the new F150............ they weren't interchangeable with the 2003-up Expedition/Navigator, thus my comment; "the 2003 was its own vehicle".

Hope I got everybody straightened out and off the ledge.
Dude, Yes the navi can't share much with 04 and up f150 exterior wise, but it's because the f150 doors, greenhouse, sight lines, and gates changed NOT the Navis. The Navis can STILL TO THIS DAY swap many exterior panel and body shell with the 97-03 f150 because they Expy/ Navi NEVER move away from them. Literally almost every change the was implemented to warrant its oh platform code was to things the naked eye can't see(suspension , IRS, transfer case, tranny), a great amount of the exterior was kept in tact from the previous generation and went on to serve us till today. The slade introduced a brash in you f*** face redesign/power for 02 and Linc stayed with early 90s design traits, and has been left in the dust since. sorry if you want to believe it but it's the truth, heck dude just LOOK at the body (not trim work and bright work) of a 98 navi and that of a 15 model and you can clearly see the same exact items. But hey I'm not Gunna comment bout it anymore, FACts are facts, you can have your own truths

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
With ALL that you just mentioned, if in fact, the customer valued those things soooo sooo much, then why would the Slade have increased its market share and ATPs to the point that it doesn't even compete with the navi (the Denali does now)??? Ohhhh it must be because the customer in this market DOES NOT care that much about function, they do however extremely value style power and design, and give the fact that the Slade has been redesigned 4 complete times to the Navis 1.5 along with completely thrashing the navi in the engine department, I'd say someone made the correct decision (GM) and someone didn't (Ford)
Yup, it then goes back to sales.

Great discussion. Glad I bothered.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Dude, Yes the navi can't share much with 04 and up f150 exterior wise, but it's because the f150 doors, greenhouse, sight lines, and gates changed NOT the Navis. The Navis can STILL TO THIS DAY swap many exterior panel and body shell with the 97-03 f150 because they Expy/ Navi NEVER move away from them. Literally almost every change the was implemented to warrant its oh platform code was to things the naked eye can't see(suspension , IRS, transfer case, tranny), a great amount of the exterior was kept in tact from the previous generation and went on to serve us till today. The slade introduced a brash in you f*** face redesign/power for 02 and Linc stayed with early 90s design traits, and has been left in the dust since. sorry if you want to believe it but it's the truth, heck dude just LOOK at the body (not trim work and bright work) of a 98 navi and that of a 15 model and you can clearly see the same exact items. But hey I'm not Gunna comment bout it anymore, FACts are facts, you can have your own truths
So you are saying a 1998-2002 Navigator door will fit on a 1997-2003 F150 and 2003-up Expedition/Navigator!?

No, No, No, No...............

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Time to let it go, it is a two year freshening, nothing more. Yes, it sat untouched for far to long, nothing can be done about that now.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts