Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Edging further from the Ford underneath.
Car & Driver
August 2015
By: Jeff Sabatini

Yes, lurking beneath the elegant surfaces of the redesigned 2016 Lincoln MKX there’s still a Ford Edge, the mention of which causes Lincoln emissaries to grit their teeth, smile effusively, and counter with, “just like Audis share components with Volkswagens.” We’ve heard Lincoln’s pitch before—with the MKZ sedan, and then again with the MKC compact crossover—and have yet to be entirely convinced that VW Group levels of product differentiation have been made between Lincoln and Ford products. So we nod politely, flash our own oversize grins, and tuck into the steak salad Lincoln has served up as an appetizer to driving its new five-passenger mid-size crossover.

The MKX lineup has grown, with two engine choices and optional four-wheel drive ($2495) available to buyers regardless of trim level. Base models are still fitted with a carry-over 3.7-liter V-6, while an extra $2000 now gets you a twin-turbo 2.7-liter V-6 also found in the Ford Edge Sport. In the MKX, the EcoBoost 2.7 is tuned to 335 horsepower and 380 lb-ft of torque, 32 hp and 102 lb-ft more than the base engine. The MKX comes in four flavors: Premiere, Select, Reserve, and Black Label. Pricing starts at $39,025 for a front-drive 3.7-liter Premiere and can run well past $60,000 for well-optioned Reserve or Black Label models.

Full article at link.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
quote=C&D,JeffSabatini

...Base models are still fitted with a carry-over 3.7-liter V-6, while an extra $2000 now gets you a twin-turbo 2.7-liter V-6 also found in the Ford Edge Sport. In the MKX, the EcoBoost 2.7 is tuned to 335 horsepower and 380 lb-ft of torque, 32 hp and 102 lb-ft more than the base engine. The MKX comes in four flavors: Premiere, Select, Reserve, and Black Label. Pricing starts at $39,025 for a front-drive 3.7-liter Premiere and can run well past $60,000 for well-optioned Reserve or Black Label models...

I'm wondering about including an "SS$", ServingSuggestion price in official blurbs
like 2.7EB/Awd/Select = $46,810
or
ATP ((bet it's higher than^^^^^))
?

shucks, now I gotta go [strike]play with[/strike] STUDY the configurator again :facepalm:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The "Edge" references by the car rags are getting pretty annoying. This car is leaps and bounds better than the Edge, which is a solid car itself.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
**** Car and Driver. Slap a different badge on that CUV and have them review that. Maybe we'll get some honest words.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
**** Car and Driver. Slap a different badge on that CUV and have them review that. Maybe we'll get some honest words.
Honestly even the pictures were of ****ty quality.

It's almost like they didn't want to be there.

This is what Lincoln should have provided for a test drive:

And compared with the Audi, the Lincoln dash flows better, and is warmer, more cohesive, well ordered, and more inviting:

Unlike the Audi with lots of dark hard plastic.

The Lincoln is more luxury, the Audi is more VW Golf.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Yes, we get that it's based on the Ford Edge. Is there any CUV out in the same class that ISN'T based on something else if the company has a mainstream counterpart?

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
The first paragraph of the article was completely unnecessary. The 2016 MKX is miles apart from it's platform sharing Ford model.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
I like to read the last paragraph of articles (sometimes ONLY the last paragraph)

...While the MKX has been pleasantly redesigned, it’s hard to justify a $60,000-plus price tag like that affixed to the vehicle we drove. So the real problem with the MKX is no longer differentiation with the Edge but proving out its own luxury mettle. If we decide to agree that Ford has mastered platform sharing like Volkswagen, the company still has some way to go in building luxury vehicles that are competitive with Audi’s.

anyone wanna help me out by post the price range of the closest Audi?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Yes, we get that it's based on the Ford Edge. Is there any CUV out in the same class that ISN'T based on something else if the company has a mainstream counterpart?
Good question. Porsche does it. Cadillac does it. Audi does it. Lexus does it. Infiniti does it. Maserati and Bentley are going to do it. Not sure why this deserves so much ink when Lincoln does it.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
I like to read the last paragraph of articles (sometimes ONLY the last paragraph)

...While the MKX has been pleasantly redesigned, it’s hard to justify a $60,000-plus price tag like that affixed to the vehicle we drove. So the real problem with the MKX is no longer differentiation with the Edge but proving out its own luxury mettle. If we decide to agree that Ford has mastered platform sharing like Volkswagen, the company still has some way to go in building luxury vehicles that are competitive with Audi’s.

anyone wanna help me out by post the price range of the closest Audi?
The Audi Q5 starting at $40k is the competitor. With the 3.0L engine and options the price gets up to over $63k.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Everybody has been saying the Q5 was sized more in MKC territory so how does it compete with the MKX?
I know, but that's not really accurate. The c-segment $33k Q3(102.5 inch wheelbase) competes with the $33k MKC (105.9 inch wheelbase), the $40k Q5(110.5 inch wheelbase) with the $38k MKX(112.2 inch wheelbase) and the much larger 7-passenger $48k Q7(118.2 inch wheelbase) with an upcoming Aviator.

It's not the overall length of the vehicle that matters. This is why the MKX is the upgrade from the c-segment MKC and an upcoming Aviator would be the upgrade from the 'midsize/large' MKX. Same as the midsize Q5 is the upgrade for the c-segment Q3, and large Q7 the upgrade from the Q5.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
The Q3 is 6" shorter, 1" narrower, and and 2" shorter in height than the MKC.

The Q5 is 4" longer, 2" wider, and the same height as the MKC.

The Q5 is 7" shorter, 1" narrower, and 1" shorter in height than the MKX.

The Q7 is 10" longer, 2" wider, and 2" taller than the MKX.

So, the Q5 is closer to the MKC in size than any other vehicle is to any other vehicle in the comparison.

Whats interesting about the Q5 vs. MKC comparison is much of the extra 4" of length is located forward of the A-pillar. Rear seat leg room is less than 1" more in the Q5.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
^ & ^^ yeah,
by overall length the MKX is almost exactly between the Q5 and Q7 (per my home-made textfile database fwiw)
&
I couldn't get Audi's configurator to load but got this

&
but on a low-rent one at Leftlane, I got the SQ5 up to $69,200
Remember, it's not the overall length of the vehicle, but the well defined platform segment and competing price point.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts