Ford Inside News banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
The grille area might look better if either all blackout or body color. Doesn't the current Edge offer body color grille as an option?
The current Edge offer 2 grilles: the all chrome grille in the bese and upscale models and the black grille in the sport model. The current grille is big, "in your face" and very bold, but is most atractive. The new one is truckish...

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts

They do look similar, but what looks like the production version of the new Edge has a cleaner more refined look. With more distinct Ford details.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Seeing the Santa Fe Sport reminds me how ridiculous it looks compared to the Ford Edge. Sharing a grille shape and a total design package are VERY different things. And once again, this is a Taurus fascia, not a Hyundai one. But whatever, people can think what they want. Hyundai Santa Fe exists to challenge Edge.

Ford and Lincoln seem to like this light concept approach to building early buzz on a forthcoming car. It's a strategy that they obviously like and will continue to use. It almost seems like a guaranteed formula for them, you can expect it for virtually all major new introductions, although the Mustang appears to be skipping the concept phase. It also means we no longer see extravagant concepts anymore, especially from Ford.

The Edge concept seems very light however, lighter than even the MKC which had very exaggerated proportions. If you look at the door thickness on the MKC concept (bank-vault huge!) vs that on the Edge, you can see there is much less fiction going on with the Edge concept.

The Edge has already been spotted in full prototype mode for the past few months, they are close to a reveal I would think, but maybe not in January. The Detroit show might be set aside for F-150.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Looks pretty good, but want to wait to hear the tech details. At minimum, let's hope that Ford put the Edge on a major diet, say 3 to 4 hundred pounds at least.

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
Looks pretty good, but want to wait to hear the tech details. At minimum, let's hope that Ford put the Edge on a major diet, say 3 to 4 hundred pounds at least.
Do we really want a lot of weight reduction in a CUV? Improve the handling, yes. Improve the mpg, yes. Improve the performance, yes. Improve the towing, yes. But they can do all that without costly premium materials. So if it stayed the same weight and improved everything we care about, do we really care what weight it checks in at?

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Do we really want a lot of weight reduction in a CUV? Improve the handling, yes. Improve the mpg, yes. Improve the performance, yes. Improve the towing, yes. But they can do all that without costly premium materials. So if it stayed the same weight and improved everything we care about, do we really care what weight it checks in at?
If they improve everything we care about without weight loss, but then add weight loss to the list of improvements then are we not further ahead? I shouldn't have to be an either or situation.

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
If they improve everything we care about without weight loss, but then add weight loss to the list of improvements then are we not further ahead? I shouldn't have to be an either or situation.
Depends on what you consider ahead?

To me, getting all those improvements without adding $$$$ is further ahead.
I could care less what my CUV weighs, and in fact, more weight can be a benefit to safety, stability, towing......

Less is not always more.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Depends on what you consider ahead?

To me, getting all those improvements without adding $$$$ is further ahead.
I could care less what my CUV weighs, and in fact, more weight can be a benefit to safety, stability, towing......

Less is not always more.
For mainstream vehicles fuel economy is among the leading factors in purchase decisions the past few years and less weight contributes to increased economy. Yes, they can increase economy in other ways, but in all of those cases they would still benefit from reduced weight to further increase economy.

Of your previously listed points only towing is likely to suffer from reduced vehicle weight, performance, economy, and handling would all benefit. I suspect for the vast majority of customers of the four categories you listed towing would be if not last in priority, it would be close. It's clear Ford understand this given their focus on weight reduction for the F-150 and Mustang so hopefully the trend continues.

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
Pretty sure I understand how weight impacts EVERYTHING, but thanks for the lesson.

My point again, balance it all, affordably. There is far more room for improvement in all the metrics that I care MOST about without substantial price increases, than there is room to lower a CUV's weight, requiring exotic materials that jacks my price way up. And I am only talking CUV here, as I certainly understand the benefits in other vehicles, especially vehicles that can easily hide that added cost (cough, new CTS, cough).

So I say NO to lowering weight if it increases price.
Do everything else instead.

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
I was just notified that the Edge Concept will be at the NY Auto Show. Which means we won't be seeing the production model just yet.

Which makes the only 'confirmed' new vehicle reveal that I know of will be the 2015 Focus Sedan. So there must be a new concept at the show.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
I was just notified that the Edge Concept will be at the NY Auto Show. Which means we won't be seeing the production model just yet.

Which makes the only 'confirmed' new vehicle reveal that I know of will be the 2015 Focus Sedan. So there must be a new concept at the show.
weird, so when will we see the Edge? LA? and the MKX? for the next year???

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ & ^^ well....
-- the Ford Brand will have the Focus
-- NYC has usually been an important show for Lincoln
-- since the news is specifically about no-Edge
MKX Concept? ...yeah earlier than we even hoped but

[still thinking]
maybe they could go a bit more conceptual-than-production oriented?
maybe even do another modified version at LA?
so
NYC = "Concept 1"?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Edge will have to be a non-auto show debut sometime in the next 3 months. With production scheduled for this fall, they should already be heading to dealers by the time the L.A. show opens, so that would be too late for a debut. Perhaps there may be some announcement regarding S-Max coming to North America at New York?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Ford always reveals new vehicles at least 4-6 months before they enter production. This provides the necessary time for dealers to plan their stock orders and submit them to Ford so they know what to build when production starts.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts