Ford Inside News banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first time posting here. Anyways, it's about time my parents are retiring their 1999 Crown Victoria. The car still runs excellently, but the frame's getting rusty. Anyways, dad wants a Fiesta, mom wants a Fusion, and they're thinking of compromising on a Focus. They want me to look around for info on these cars.

I've heard that PowerShift transmissions in the Focus and Fiesta had problems, are they fixed on the 2014's+? I understand a lot of people didn't like the feel because it doesn't feel like a torque-converter automatic, but I heard of actual, legitimate problems with these.

Also, this might seem like a silly little thing, but USB plugs - from my understanding on reading the Ford website, they're standard with the SYNC system?

If I think of anything else I'll just post it in this thread!

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
How old are your parents? I don't really recommend small cars for older people, but the Fusion is probably the best choice on their list. I just don't think they would be happy with a compact over time. The Fusion's ride is pretty smooth, but they may find the seats a little too stiff. Personally, I recommend the Flex. The interior in that thing is spacious and the ride and seats are very comfortable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How old are your parents? I don't really recommend small cars for older people, but the Fusion is probably the best choice on their list. I just don't think they would be happy with a compact over time. The Fusion's ride is pretty smooth, but they may find the seats a little too stiff. Personally, I recommend the Flex. The interior in that thing is spacious and the ride and seats are very comfortable.
They're in their late 50's. Why wouldn't they be happy with a compact? Is it ride quality? How are the seats in the Escape?

I would advise they hold out for the 2016 GT350, or maybe a nice F450!!!!!
Hahaha no.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
They're in their late 50's. Why wouldn't they be happy with a compact? Is it ride quality? How are the seats in the Escape?
The suspension is stiff and the seats aren't the most comfortable. I haven't tried the global Escape/Kuga yet, but it may be no different considering it rides on the same platform as the Focus. They just need to drive each model Ford has.

What are they looking for in a new car? Price? Styling? Fuel efficiency? Comfort? All of the above?

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
If it's the Focus, I would wait until January and get the refreshed 2015 model. It has the new Ford face, updated suspension, improved interior and is quieter with thicker carpeting and thicker side glass among other things like a standard rear view camera.

Ford has made more software adjustments to the Focus transmission so it shifts more like consumers expect.

It also has Smart USB Charging with charges vis usb twice as fast as a normal port.

The ride of a big car in a smaller more premium looking and efficient beautiful package.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I am laughing about the old people and compact car comment, I am 58 and a big Focus fan and owner.:lmao:
Regarding the automatic transmission in the Focus, I would recommend waiting for the new 2015 Focus as this transmission
will have the newest revisions (F) and software updates. That said, these dual clutch transmissions will never feel like a torque-converter automatic. So if you think this would be a issue that would bother your parents, then I would not suggest the Focus or Fiesta equipped with
the dual clutch transmission. For sure take the new Escape for a test drive as it does drive similar to the Focus, and the big plus is it comes equipped with a torque-converter automatic 6 speed transmission.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Judging by the type and age of the car they are retiring, they aren't enthusiasts and they prefer ride and comfort over handling and performance. If they plan on hanging on to their next vehicle a long time, they may want to consider a midsize crossover or a minivan for their comfort, space, and ease of entry and exit. A Chevy Equinox, a Ford Edge, or a Dodge Caravan might be perfect for their needs. The Escape might be big enough if a Fiesta is being considered. Also, considering that they had their CV for 15 years and that they aren't going to be getting younger, more flexible, or smaller, one of the afore mentioned vehicles might be better suited to them as they age. Ten years from now, when they are in their late 60s, will it be uncomfortable flopping into and climbing out of a lower small car? Will the back seat be large enough if they often take along friends their own age? Just some ideas. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Good points on the ease of access . The C-Max Hybrid or Plug in Hybrid would be worth a look as well.
But the 2014 Focus is a comfortable ride, and the 2015 will be even more comfy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They seemed to have narrowed down their choices to the Focus and Fusion. I'm suggesting they check out the Escape too. Opinions on those three?

I'd really like to know how the compare in thigh and lumbar support in the front seats if anyone has any info on that.

Edit: I just had a thought: Any opininions on the C-Max vis a vis the thigh and lumbar support and other things that may come to mind?

Edit two: You know, I should have mentioned this earlier: what they're looking for. Budget of <$25,000ish, comfortable, and above 30mpg on the highway are the big things they mentioned.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
They seemed to have narrowed down their choices to the Focus and Fusion. I'm suggesting they check out the Escape too. Opinions on those three?

I'd really like to know how the compare in thigh and lumbar support in the front seats if anyone has any info on that.

Edit: I just had a thought: Any opininions on the C-Max vis a vis the thigh and lumbar support and other things that may come to mind?

Edit two: You know, I should have mentioned this earlier: what they're looking for. Budget of <$25,000ish, comfortable, and above 30mpg on the highway are the big things they mentioned.
If they've shortened their list to only Fords it's best they form their own opinions regarding things like seats. Given the seats will be different depending on which model/trim level they select, combined with everybody being a different shape they're likely to find something comfortable that others may not.

As for the various vehicles you've mentioned, they cannot go wrong with any IMO. On the other hand they'll get more features with the Focus than the Fusion, Escape, or C-Max at the same price, so once again it's going to be up to what they find important.

I think they're at a point where they have to make a choice, the types of questions you're asking can be a very individual thing and one person's opinion may well be the complete opposite of another's while neither is wrong!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If they've shortened their list to only Fords it's best they form their own opinions regarding things like seats.
That's mainly because they can get the Ford discount from my grandfather on my mother's side. :p He used to build engine parts.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
So sounds like Flex is out, unless they consider used? I have not even driven one, but only hear good things about it. Roomy, great sitting position, fantastic ride and handling... I would love to own a Flex someday for myself.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I would recommend the C-Max based on its more upright stance, good visibility, and mileage. Base price is slightly over $24k so that leaves little room for options (though the amount of discount they will receive can help with that).

Like others here suggest, they will really need to get some seat time in to find what fits them best. Taking into consideration they are older, how they will be able to live with the car in 10 years can be a big factor and warrants thought.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts

My experience with North American Fusion and Focus, I'd say the Focus seats in the top spec Titanium are a nice combination of comfort and sporty feeling. With a good manual lumbar adjustment feature. The seat shape has prominent side & seat-bolsters, and seat and back cushions are IMO on the soft side of firm.
The Fusion seats are less sport shape and more for comfort, with a good lumbar adjustment feature. The seat cushion is a flatter design, with subtle side bolsters.
The Escape seats are similar to the Focus seats.
The C-Max Hybrid I have never sat in the North American C-Max so cannot comment. But from owners comments and seat design pictures I have seen, the seats look to be designed for comfort over sporty. And I think the Lumbar adjustment feature is only available on the top trim SEL model and it is a power lumbar feature.

Attached is the North American Focus Titanium leather seat

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh hey update, they just picked up a brand new (seriously, it couldn't have been driven much by the dealership or test drivers with the low miles on the car) 2014 Fusion SE 1.5L in Deep Impact Blue. They let me try it out... Very nice car, the teeny turbo engine seems to have good punch too! I hope they enjoy it for many years like that faithful Crown Vic. With discount and incentives it was about $20,500, paid cash. Dad's already paired their phones and putting in radio presets.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Very nice choice, and what a nice price. That is a lot of car for $20 grand.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts