Ford Inside News banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First Test: 2015 Lincoln Navigator

The Beauty of the Beast: New Navigator Posts Impressive Numbers

The 2015 Lincoln Navigator -- the last remaining Lincoln with an actual name -- is an elegant brute. Its gruff, straight-edge exterior looks as if the designers used a meat cleaver to cut through the clay. It's massive. The roof is 78 inches high, the same height as Michael Jordan.

Yes, Lincoln did refresh the Navigator's looks by changing out the grille and adding high-intensity discharge headlamps and LED accent lights. The SUV's backside was gussied up, as well, and there's a new power liftgate. But this Lincoln doesn't look too different than previous iterations. It's huge, it's boxy, and that's just the way it looks. The wheelbase on the extended model stretches 131 inches, and the body is bigger than some Tuff Sheds. Naturally, the interior comes with wide-open spaces. There are optional captain's chairs in the second row, and there's 18.1 cubic feet of cargo space behind the third row on the regular Navigator. (The Navigator L has 42.6 cubic feet behind its third row. Fold down the second row, and the Navigator L has 128 cubic feet of storage. That's more space than the interior of a Fiat 500, which is 123 cubic feet.)

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/1503_2015_lincoln_navigator_first_test/#ixzz3VJCBJDMF

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks Jose for posting this article! :thumb: I would argue that the SUV that "founded" the Full Size Luxury SUV segment, the Navigator, has always been "the best" Full Size Luxury Sports Utility Vehicle. When Lincoln introduced the second generation 2003 Lincoln Navigator as the first Full Size Luxury Sports Utility Vehicle with the first fully independent suspension, Lincoln beat the competition in the category of "utility" by several generations. In 2007 the introduction of the Navigator L extended Navigator's leadership in the category of "carrying capacity," a category Navigator continues to hold leadership in today.

Lincoln has always carried the mantle in "utility", now it's time for Lincoln to lead in "performance," "luxury" and "fuel economy." The 2015 Lincoln Navigator fortunately ups the ante in performance with the 3.5-liter, 380 horsepower and 460lb-ft of torque twin turbocharged V-6 which propelled this "6,146 lb" Full Size Luxury SUV from 0-60 in 6.5 seconds. The interior is more luxurious and the fuel economy is much more reasonable at 16/22 mpg. I believe Lincoln was able to make these important changes in the interim because the Navigator had a solid foundation from the start.

I can't wait to see how the new, aluminum, fully independent suspension, 10-speed automatic, more luxurious and technologically more advanced Navigator revolutionizes the Full-Size Luxury Sports Utility Vehicle category, it founded! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the best full size luxury SUV!

I can't wait for the next gen!
I hope this time the interior is stunning!

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
The Escalade is better in some regards, like in the ¼ mile, or winning Volvo-look-alike contests, or having an interior that blends in well with every other luxury car sold, or if better is simply defined by the frequency with which you changed ALL stamping dyes on the body.

But I think the Navi looks better overall and is a solid interim update to a product that has incredible hang-time in terms of relativity. What contributed to that was the quantum leap forward previous gen took with frame stiffening, useful features (fold flat, power extending running boards), updated steering system, excellent suspension upgrade including the IRS, etc. Indeed the only thing holding it back previously was power and good looks. Or at least, lack of both.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I am pleased with the very positive tone this vehicle sets for the next gen vehicle. I would purchase this Navigator in the used market, without a doubt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts