Ford Inside News banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Editor
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some lesser known aspects of Lincoln's latest.
www.FordInsideNews.com
November 13, 2013
By: Nick Saporito

Since the MKC Concept’s reveal nearly a year ago, not much has been left to the imagination regarding what the real deal would be like. Finally, the wraps have been taken off of Lincoln’s latest, and with it a few features and attributes stood out as surprises.

Based on the same platform as the Ford Escape and Focus, the MKC is Lincoln’s entry into the hot (and getting hotter) compact crossover segment. With little direct competition, the MKC should find success relatively easy assuming Lincoln does a good job of informing customers of its existence, and the below features should allow it to stand out within a segment that’s projected to boom in the next few years.

New EcoBoost Engine

In recent weeks rumors were beginning to all point to the idea that there would be an all-new EcoBoost powertrain in the MKC, and those rumors were ultimately validated. The MKC will offer an optional 2.3-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder that generates 275 horsepower and an impressive 300 foot-pounds of torque.

As one would expect from a boosted engine, the 2.3-liter makes all 300 foot-pounds of torque at 3,000 rpm, while the maximum power is generated at 5,500 rpm. Lincoln has not specified just how broad and flat the power curve is on this engine yet.

The 2.3-liter does feature a few new engineering approaches that boost performance and efficiency. It has a three-port integrated exhaust manifold that funnels exhaust into the inner and outer pairs of cylinders separately, versus combining the air flow into one. Separating the exhaust pulses reduces engine backflow and maintains the energy at a higher level until it hits the turbocharger’s turbine.

MKC chief engineer Lisa Drake calls the 2.3-liter engine a, “Lincoln exclusive.”

It’s Not An Escape

Despite sharing its fundamental architecture with the Ford Escape, the MKC is considerably different. In fact, the MKC’s track is about one inch wider than Escape (a lot when talking chassis), and slightly longer overall. Subsequently the center of gravity is lower on the MKC versus the Escape.

The longer, lower proportions give the MKC an entirely different appearance than the Escape, and engineers claim that the seating positions inside are also different from the Escape.

Throw in the MKC's adaptive suspension system and intelligent all-wheel drive, and it's safe to say this is not a fancier Ford product.

It Does Theater

Lighting “theatrics” are becoming a trend in the luxury vehicle market. Just about every premium automaker has an LED light signature; be it Audi’s horizontal white LED, or Cadillac’s vertical light pipes. Lincoln has decided to partake in the antics with what they call “Approach Detection” on the MKC.

Approach Detection does just what the name implies; the car detects when the driver is walking up to their MKC. Detected by the car’s key fob, when the owners get several feet from the MKC at night it begins turning on accent lighting in the headlamps and tail lamps.

Once the owner is about nine feet away, the MKC does something we’ve never seen before; it projects a “welcome mat” on the ground in front of the two front doors and lights up the door handle pockets.

The “welcome mat” as Lincoln calls it, is projected from the bottom of the exterior mirrors and even features the Lincoln star logo in the middle of the projection. While its usability is questionable at best, Lincoln gets points for creativity on this one.

All of the lighting theatrics are part of a broader focus on the “Lincoln Experience” which the brand says encompasses the vehicle, the dealership and the ownership experience.

Lincoln’s Going Mobile

The MKC will be the first Lincoln product to feature the brand’s new MyLincoln mobile application, meaning yes, the MKC has a built-in cellular modem like General Motors’ OnStar system.

MKC owners will be able to download the MyLincoln Mobile application to their smartphone and control their vehicle remotely from the app. Like competitors, you’ll be able to lock, unlock and start the MKC from the app. The app also displays common information; such as fuel level, tire pressure and battery status.

Unique to Lincoln, owners will also be able to adjust their climate control system from the mobile application, according to Lincoln. Buyers will also be able to “breadcrumb” where their vehicle has been and currently is from within the app.

Lincoln has not clarified if there will be any monthly fees associated with use of the mobile application.

It Un-parks Itself

For several years now Ford has offered a park assist feature that allows the vehicle to virtually parallel park itself. Apparently Ford has discovered that many American not only have trouble parking, but also getting out of parking spots, so the MKC is debuting “park-out assist.”

With park-out assist the MKC will assist drivers out of tight parking spaces. Thus far Lincoln is being vague on just what the limitations of the system are, however it sounds as though the vehicle takes control over the steering and will crank the MKC out of the tight spots the self-parking feature manages to cram it in.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
I love it, ‘Park Out Assist.’ Yeah, this contributes to the dumbing down of humans, so what. No different than auto-headlights or Spell Check on everything or having cell phones remember every contact number. Big deal, so If we have to, we can re-learn anything again.

In total, Lincoln is claiming 25 cool luxury features, 12 of which are unique to this class.
Man, how can Lincoln NOT be excited about this in their showrooms.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Overall, I'm impressed by this little crossover. It has just made my short list of potential purchases.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Here is a demo of the new park assist/Un-park technology that we should see in the MKC. This will definateily make the MKC stand out in the crowd of small luxury suvs.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Neat technologies they are including. I am bummed that the MyLincoln Mobile is for Android or Apple only, leaving us Windows Phone users out in the cold. At least we get a more powerful text messaging solution as consolation :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Here is a demo of the new park assist/Un-park technology that we should see in the MKC. This will definateily make the MKC stand out in the crowd of small luxury suvs.
I don't think we'll see anything this sophisticated (where the car parks itself without you in it) in the MKC. This fully automated technology is still a generation or two of models away from being perfected to the point of making it into a production vehicle.

The MKC will do exactly what Nick said - control the steering to get you out of a parallel spot in the same manner it gets you into the spot. There's no mention of perpendicular park assist like some manufacturers are now offering.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
The only elephant in the room now is how it will compare to its competiton dynamically. It goes without saying that I , and anyone with a functioning pair of eyes expects this vehicle to be a rousing success.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I don't think we'll see anything this sophisticated (where the car parks itself without you in it) in the MKC. This fully automated technology is still a generation or two of models away from being perfected to the point of making it into a production vehicle.

The MKC will do exactly what Nick said - control the steering to get you out of a parallel spot in the same manner it gets you into the spot. There's no mention of perpendicular park assist like some manufacturers are now offering.
agree, I think that video is not te out parallel parking

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
IMHO the black plastic cladding at the bottom of the MKC is not a problem but I would like to see a model without it maybe the top-end model (like Audi does) or the Black Label model :courage:

·
Registered
607 Posts
If I was in need of replacing my wife's Mercury Mariner, and wanted to go upscale a bit, I would buy this vehicle. It looks great inside and out, has a terrific drivetrain, and has the latest tech. I'm sold.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
This car will kill the competition: Q5, X3, GLK... I hope that the driving dinamics are as good as the rest of the car looks on paper

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
The MKC has one thing that geeks me out, a mobile app. I've been waiting for Ford to connect their vehicles. This is something I will use daily and now I know it's coming to my next vehicle. YES!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I hope that the MKC has a better camera on the back than the Escape. If it has I'll see about buying a replacement for the one on my wife's Escape.

·
Registered
997 Posts
WOW! A welcome mat when you get closer to the vehicle, Park-Assist and Park-Out. It's nice to see an exclusive engine first in a Lincoln again.

What next you ask? How about a nice voice inside the vehicle that greets the owner "Good Morning James...temp is 35 degrees and snowing, watch for ice...." and "Have a nice day, see you later..." While we are at it, can I get a k-cup coffee machine with cup warmer please? Nobody offers that item in a vehicle do they? The option should sell well.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
I think he was talking about the camera part (assuming they are compatible), not the whole car, lol.

Ahhh. I see clearly now.

And that reminds me, I suggest cleaning your lens cover of the CCD. It gets dirt on it and sometimes a car wash does not correct that.
That being said, most are about the same resolution, which is good enough to ensure you don’t hit anything. I can make out license plates in my Explorer. I assume they are all the same across Ford/Lincoln.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts