Ford Inside News banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
This is such a great looking vehicle which will sell well for Lincoln. I think the MKC is much better looking than the competition (IMHO) and I cannot wait to get behind the wheel of one. The only thing missing for me is a hybrid version, maybe Lincoln Motor Company can add a Green Label?

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
This is such a great looking vehicle which will sell well for Lincoln. I think the MKC is much better looking than the competition (IMHO) and I cannot wait to get behind the wheel of one. The only thing missing for me is a hybrid version, maybe Lincoln Motor Company can add a Green Label?
I believe they trademarked Green Label at the same time they did Red Label so you may get your wish!

As for the MKC I agree, it is IMO either better looking or at worst on par with its competition in most areas as I see it. And a couple of the mainstream articles posted regarding it where the writer has had access to the production version have been very positive with regard to overall execution, not only of design, but also interior build and materials quality. The final question is how well will it compare dynamically? It certainly from all appearances has what's needed to be a that much needed first home run for Lincoln!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I like it! My only concern is how Lincoln markets it. This is not the marque that most people shopping in this category think of first, and also, while we on this board may understand, average Joe car-shopper will need to be convinced that this is not just a tarted-up Escape. Sales and marketing folks need to bring their A game. If they do, the MKC could sell very well.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I like it! My only concern is how Lincoln markets it. This is not the marque that most people shopping in this category think of first, and also, while we on this board may understand, average Joe car-shopper will need to be convinced that this is not just a tarted-up Escape. Sales and marketing folks need to bring their A game. If they do, the MKC could sell very well.
Most car shoppers don't know about platform sharing, we auto fans do.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Most car shoppers don't know about platform sharing, we auto fans do.
Platform sharing isn't bad in and of itself so long as the correct platform is used for the correct market segment and it is there that the MKC gets a pass because there should be no issue with front biased drivetrain in a CUV.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Platform sharing isn't bad in and of itself so long as the correct platform is used for the correct market segment and it is there that the MKC gets a pass because there should be no issue with front biased drivetrain in a CUV.
Your 100% correct. Fullsize true luxury cars are RWD and that's where Lincoln will have to improve at eventually. I can't remember what website i read but it comfirmed that Lincoln is working on a car off the S550 platform.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
The sporty small luxury sedan segment is bigger than the compact luxury SUV segment. BMW will sell over 100k RWD 3-Series, and MB will sell over 80k RWD C-Class for 2013 in the US alone. So it makes sense that this segment is Lincoln's next target, with a RWD sedan/coupe/convertible based on the S550 platform.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
The sporty small luxury sedan segment is bigger than the compact luxury SUV segment. BMW will sell over 100k RWD 3-Series, and MB will sell over 80k RWD C-Class for 2013 in the US alone. So it makes sense that this segment is Lincoln's next target, with a RWD sedan/coupe/convertible based on the S550 platform.
I read somewhere that they were unlikely to stretch the S550 to accommodate a sedan but that coupe and convertible models were a given.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
The cabin in that photo looks pretty far back on the car, so it definitely has RWD proportions.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
I read somewhere that they were unlikely to stretch the S550 to accommodate a sedan but that coupe and convertible models were a given.
The current Mustang has a 107 inch wheelbase. The 3-Series and IS have a 110 inch wheelbase. The ATS has a smaller 109 inch wheelbase. But the new BMW 4-Series that replaced the 3-Series Coupe, now has the same 110.8 inch wheelbase as the 3-Series sedan. Which BMW does to cut down on platforms and save money.

So my assumption is Lincoln will also combine platforms in the same way, and the new S550 platform for the Mustang will offer a longer 110 inch wheelbase(for more interior space), but smaller body, which can also carry a Lincoln sedan, coupe and convertible.

FYI...the RWD Ford Falcon has a 111 inch wheelbase. Which some think was used to develop the new S550 platform.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
The current Mustang has a 107 inch wheelbase. The 3-Series and IS have a 110 inch wheelbase. The ATS has a smaller 109 inch wheelbase. But the new BMW 4-Series that replaced the 3-Series Coupe, now has the same 110.8 inch wheelbase as the 3-Series sedan. Which BMW does to cut down on platforms and save money.

So my assumption is Lincoln will also combine platforms in the same way, and the new S550 platform for the Mustang will offer a longer 110 inch wheelbase(for more interior space), but smaller body, which can also carry a Lincoln sedan, coupe and convertible.

FYI...the RWD Ford Falcon has a 111 inch wheelbase. Which some think was used to develop the new S550 platform.
Interesting perspective! It would sure be nice to see Lincoln with the full set of 3 series competitors!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Wow, I love it! And to my eyes it didn't lose any oomph in translation from concept to production model. I'm not a huge fan of this class of vehicle, but Lincoln clearly has a winner.

And so many nice little touches... the 'welcome mat', while a bit silly at first glance, is actually a great way to create goodwill for the Lincoln brand. Owners will feel welcomed by the car, and encouraging an emotional connection between driver and car is an important marketing tool.

The MKZ and MKS were solid steps in the right direction, but the MKC clearly shows what Lincoln can do when given the chance. I have no doubt that the next generations of their sedans will be stellar! Up until now I wasn't particualrly a Lincoln fan, but all of a sudden I'm really excited for the future of Lincoln!

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
I think when we see it in different trim with the larger 20" wheels, it will compare very well to the concept, my guess about 90-95%. That is pretty good. Few do concepts this close to production.
I want to see it with 19" and 20" because I think we´ve only seen the 18" wheels

21 - 40 of 47 Posts