Ford Inside News banner

FoMoCo March 2015 Sales

11K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  DetroitBORG 
#1 ·
Ford U.S. March Retail Sales
Best in Nine Years, Driven by Strong F-Series, Van, Explorer, Mustang Performance

Apr 1, 2015 | Media.Ford.com | DEARBORN, Mich

• F-Series, America’s best-selling truck, posts retail sales increase of 10 percent for March – propelled by all-new F-150; Transit, Transit Connect and E-Series drive a 42 percent increase in Ford van sales versus year-ago levels

• Explorer posts a 17 percent gain for March – best March sales performance in 10 years; Mustang sales increase 36 percent, for best performance in eight years

• Lincoln retail sales up 7 percent for March versus year ago

• Ford Motor Company U.S. sales of 235,929 total vehicles for March represent a 3 percent decline compared to a year ago; retail sales up 1 percent, marking best performance since 2006. Fleet sales were off 13 percent based on fleet order timing
Click here for full release with tables (.pdf)

Pdf attached in post#11

#2 ·
Re: March 2015 Sales

Ford cars took a serious hit besides Mustang.
MKZ took a hit but that was to be expected since they sold 4000 last year. Navi broke 1000 again and MKC just broke 2000.

#5 ·
#6 ·
Everybody knew, March YOY was going to be hard to beat, January and February 2014 were off a lot because of weather, March 2014 had pent-up demand.

Don't believe me, but if you look at Q1, January-March, it actually looks OK.

I am actually happy with the MKZ number, they were up 72% last year.

Also Q1 YOY; MKC + MKX are positive 2,097 units.

#7 ·
Re: March 2015 Sales

For easier viewing:

#9 ·
Mentioned it on GMi... MKZ + MKS outsold ATS + CTS!

Glad to see the Navigator benefiting from its handsome redo. That's a well-deserved success. And while we all want MKC to do better, at least it's over 2000 again. I'd love to see it and MKZ consistently at 3000 each. 10k per month is where Lincoln should be.

#10 ·
Mustang more than doubled camaro. Wow.
Expedition is not really weak, but stronger push to move Explorers certainly kept it from shooting higher.
They are obviously balancing fleet and retail, especially with truck, because of the supply shortage.

Industry down mostly, so overall not bad. I think it will be around May and June before we see bigger increases, mostly due to F-150 running 2 plants, new Explorer and MKX too.

#12 ·
Expedition is not really weak, but stronger push to move Explorers certainly kept it from shooting higher.
They are obviously balancing fleet and retail, especially with truck, because of the supply shortage.

Industry down mostly, so overall not bad. I think it will be around May and June before we see bigger increases, mostly due to F-150 running 2 plants, new Explorer and MKX too.
When does MKX come out??? The new one will EASILY outsell the old one, so 10k monthly units for Lincoln will be a breeze!

#18 ·
Brand new car vs. car in it's final year of production, I would say it's expected, not wow.

Ford/Lincoln have been kicking ass in regard to increasing retail while also decreasing fleet. I recognize there is such a thing as good fleet sales, but even in the face of a small decrease in overall sales the month after month increases in retail are what really set the tone!!

#19 ·
Edge production began January 19th, they didn't start selling until last week of March. I would expect MKX to be available late June at the earliest (although the Ford garage told their staff August/September). Lincoln is still saying fall for new MKX however so their lead time is probably longer than Edge because they have to go through quality checks after they are built.

MKX sales are down significantly so yes their are inventory problems as I predicted which will get worse as we move into the summer.

MKX pricing isn't going up as significantly as MKZ did, unless you want allot more options than the outgoing car. The pricing is actually pretty similar to Edge, the comparable configurations are about the same but the posher models are way up there now. The biggest issue with Lincoln's at launch are lease rates which take a good 6-months to moderate, which is usually why Lincoln launches are pretty soft unless they are delivering on excessive back orders. I'm waiting to see MKC sales pick up once they drop the lease rates down to MKZ levels. MKX sales probably won't change much in the US with the presence of MKC and increasing competition, but they'll sell much more in total thanks to China. Ford has also said that the Edge has peaked in the US but the new car will be sold in more markets which is a big deal. I also expect Edge will continue to loose some sales to the Explorer which is also being updated. The Edge is sorta being squeezed in on both sides with Escape and Explorer so it's good to have global markets to keep it going.

#21 ·
Brand new car vs. car in it's final year of production, I would say it's expected, not wow.
Camaro came out of the gate strong, matching and then exceeding Mustang right away.
But it has NEVER sold well over 2X Mustang in a single month. And this gen is going into it's 6th month.

So yeah, wow.

#22 ·
Edge production began January 19th, they didn't start selling until last week of March. I would expect MKX to be available late June at the earliest (although the Ford garage told their staff August/September). Lincoln is still saying fall for new MKX however so their lead time is probably longer than Edge because they have to go through quality checks after they are built.

MKX sales are down significantly so yes their are inventory problems as I predicted which will get worse as we move into the summer.

MKX pricing isn't going up as significantly as MKZ did, unless you want allot more options than the outgoing car. The pricing is actually pretty similar to Edge, the comparable configurations are about the same but the posher models are way up there now. The biggest issue with Lincoln's at launch are lease rates which take a good 6-months to moderate, which is usually why Lincoln launches are pretty soft unless they are delivering on excessive back orders. I'm waiting to see MKC sales pick up once they drop the lease rates down to MKZ levels. MKX sales probably won't change much in the US with the presence of MKC and increasing competition, but they'll sell much more in total thanks to China. Ford has also said that the Edge has peaked in the US but the new car will be sold in more markets which is a big deal. I also expect Edge will continue to loose some sales to the Explorer which is also being updated. The Edge is sorta being squeezed in on both sides with Escape and Explorer so it's good to have global markets to keep it going.
Sales of everything are down.
Inventory will last right to early summer, with MKC picking up the slack no doubt through some incentives, which has been pretty much nothing until now.
Sure it will be tight, but not the scenario you had described is all, which I believe had Lincoln running out by last month.

#24 ·
Sales of everything are down.
Inventory will last right to early summer, with MKC picking up the slack no doubt through some incentives, which has been pretty much nothing until now.
Sure it will be tight, but not the scenario you had described is all, which I believe had Lincoln running out by last month.
There have been incentives on the MKC since October, along with favorable lease rates closer to MKZ pricing, which have improved further since then. I was contemplating a lease back in November but ultimately decided it was too small, I thought the lease price was fair but you could certainly get into the posher and roomier MKX for the same right now which I'm sure will hold up MKC until the old MKX is gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.