Ford Inside News banner

FoMoCo Shanghai 2015

13K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  2b2 
#1 ·
catch-all thread for BlueOval news from Shanghai that may not fit in another thread or deserve its own...

2015-4-18 | Shanghai, China
Ford Debuts Flagship Taurus;
Focus, Explorer Also Revealed

Media.FORD.com

• Ford unveils new Ford Taurus, a sophisticated sedan designed with Chinese consumers in mind
• New Ford Focus brings a bold redesign, a more modern interior and smart new technologies to China’s best-selling nameplate
• New Ford Explorer features rugged new look, more refined interior and improved driver assist technologies
• New Ford Edge offers third row of seating, new features for the Chinese market starting at RMB249,800

Highlighting its commitment to serving consumers in China and expanding its presence in the world’s largest auto market, Ford Motor Company today unveiled the latest additions to its line-up of global vehicles, including the global debut of a new Ford Taurus sedan.

“Less than a month after we opened a brand new Changan Ford plant in Hangzhou, we’re taking another step to expand our vehicle line-up in China,” said John Lawler, chairman and CEO, Ford China. “These fantastic new vehicles are the latest example of how we continue to innovate and grow in China and around the world.”

In addition to the global unveiling of the new Ford Taurus, a large sedan designed specifically for the Chinese market, Ford debuted the new Ford Focus sedan and hatchback as well as the class-defining new Ford Explorer SUV. The company also announced pricing for the new seven-seat Ford Edge SUV.

The historic Taurus nameplate comes to China as a new flagship model for Changan Ford, and will be produced at the new US$760 million Hangzhou facility. Setting a new benchmark for large sedans in China, the Taurus features a clean, contemporary and harmonious design created by combining Ford’s global design expertise with an understanding of and respect for the specific needs of Chinese customers.

“The new Ford Taurus is another example of the best Ford has to offer globally, designed and developed with the Chinese market in mind,” said Marin Burela, president, Changan Ford Automobile Co. “More than just a premium business sedan, it’s an elegant statement of what is possible under the One Ford plan.”

With its shield-like trapezoidal grille, slender LED headlights, muscular sides and multi-piece LED tail lights, the Taurus has an elegant presence on the road. Inside, sophisticated consumers will appreciate a spacious interior with premium features including power reclining rear seats with a massage function, a panoramic sunroof and exceptional second-row legroom.

Under the hood, a new high-output, twin-turbo 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6 engine offers effortless power and exceptional efficiency.

Ford’s commitment to bringing advanced technologies to a wide range of consumers was evident in Shanghai with the debut of the new Ford Focus.

The Focus has been redesigned with a sleeker exterior, a cleaner, more modern interior, smart driver assist technologies and even greater fuel efficiency. Advanced technology, including improved Active City Stop, which helps to mitigate low-speed collisions; enhanced Active Park Assist with perpendicular park assist, which helps to take the hassle out of parking; and SYNC 2 connectivity make the new Focus one of the smartest cars in its class.

With enhanced handling and a choice of Ford’s award-winning 1.0-liter three-cylinder, a new 1.5-liter four-cylinder EcoBoost engine or a 1.6L Ti-VCT engine, the Focus remains true to its fun-to-drive DNA. More efficient engines and new Auto Start-Stop technology, which turns off the engine while the vehicle is idling, also help the new Focus to save fuel.

Twenty-five years after the unveiling of the original Ford Explorer, Ford introduced the new Explorer to China. A rugged new look and new technologies make it smarter, more efficient and ready for any adventure.

The updates to the Explorer’s exterior include a redesigned, higher grille and robust LED headlights with visible heat-sink structures that cool the LEDs and impart an innovative look. Inside, the Explorer has simplified infotainment controls and refined detailing throughout the cabin.

The new Explorer offers an upgraded technology package, including enhanced Active Park Assist and a hands-free tailgate. Improved suspension delivers improved handling and a comfortable ride. For efficient power, the Explorer can be equipped with one of two advanced EcoBoost engines – a 3.5-liter V6 or a new 2.3-liter four-cylinder.

Ford also announced pricing for the new Ford Edge, which offers a third row of seating and new features to meet the needs of the Chinese market. Boasting a more rewarding driving experience and new technologies like Auto Start-Stop to save fuel and make driving more convenient, the new Edge starts at RMB249,800.

“Bringing one new vehicle to our customers is exciting. To be able to showcase four new vehicles at once is a special thrill,” said Lawler. “With the new Edge, Explorer, Focus and Taurus, we will be able to serve customers in China like never before – and there’s plenty more to come.”

See less See more
#3 ·
“The new Ford Taurus is another example of the best Ford has to offer globally, designed and developed with the Chinese market in mind,” said Marin Burela, president, Changan Ford Automobile Co. “More than just a premium business sedan, it’s an elegant statement of what is possible under the One Ford plan.”

This is what I mean that we have to pay attention to what Ford actually says, and not what others 'hear'. Ford is not saying the New Taurus is ONLY for China, but is stating that the Taurus is part of the One Ford Plan, of products Ford has to offer globally.

Just thinking about this logically, with China being a 'growing' large car market, that means China will make selling the same New Taurus 'body' in the US even more viable/profitable.

#4 ·

This is what I mean that we have to pay attention to what Ford actually says, and not what others 'hear'. Ford is not saying the New Taurus is ONLY for China, but is stating that the Taurus is part of the One Ford Plan, of products Ford has to offer globally.

Just thinking about this logically, with China being a 'growing' large car market, that means China will make selling the same New Taurus 'body' in the US even more viable/profitable.
The only difference is probably the rear seat amenities and engine options.

#5 ·
2016 Lincoln MKX debuts on the Shanghai Auto Show in China

The new 2016 Lincoln MKX has been unveiled on the Shanghai Auto Show in China, which is on track of becoming Lincoln’s largest market worldwide. The 2016 Lincoln MKX features a new grille with horizontal bars, new headlights with LED strips, a new bumper, a new rear bumper, new taillights, and an updated interior.

http://www.carnewschina.com/2015/04/20/2016-lincoln-mkx-debuts-on-the-shanghai-auto-show-in-china/

edit: here says the 2.7l EB V6 will have 340hp
http://www.lincoln.com.cn/servlet/B...here=1249151140096&blobcol=urlblob&blobkey=id
although Lincoln MKX minisite says 335hp

MKX price: 479k to 689k Yuans
http://www.lincoln.com.cn/en/cars-mkx-nameplate?intcmp=pro-cnln-home-mkx-cnln-vhp-mkx-150420

#9 ·
The Focus has been redesigned with a sleeker exterior, a cleaner, more modern interior, smart driver assist technologies and even greater fuel efficiency. Advanced technology, including improved Active City Stop, which helps to mitigate low-speed collisions; enhanced Active Park Assist with perpendicular park assist, which helps to take the hassle out of parking; and SYNC 2 connectivity make the new Focus one of the smartest cars in its class.

With enhanced handling and a choice of Ford’s award-winning 1.0-liter three-cylinder, a new 1.5-liter four-cylinder EcoBoost engine or a 1.6L Ti-VCT engine, the Focus remains true to its fun-to-drive DNA. More efficient engines and new Auto Start-Stop technology, which turns off the engine while the vehicle is idling, also help the new Focus to save fuel.
The 1.5 liter EcoBoost finally replaces the naturally aspirated 2.0 engine in Chinese Focus, there are rumors that Thailand will also do the same.
Will this leave the US market Focus as the last market to have the naturally aspirated 2.0 liter engine?

#10 ·
The size of the MKC, MKX and Navigator compared with the people seems a bit off. Look how big the SUVs are. The guys shoulder is below the navigator side mirror.
People of Asian race tend to be shorter. I made friends with a bunch of Filipinos when I moved to FL and I tower over all of them they like to make fun of me for that.

#11 ·
The size of the MKC, MKX and Navigator compared with the people seems a bit off. Look how big the SUVs are. The guys shoulder is below the navigator side mirror.
It is a computer generated image, not an actual photograph.

The 1.5 liter EcoBoost finally replaces the naturally aspirated 2.0 engine in Chinese Focus, there are rumors that Thailand will also do the same.
Will this leave the US market Focus as the last market to have the naturally aspirated 2.0 liter engine?
I'm sure it will. The US market finally got the 1.0L Ecoboost option with the latest refresh but can only be had in a lower trim level with manual transmission. Ford should offer the 1.5L EB as the top option on Titanium trim but we are stuck with the old 2.0L.

#14 ·
just imho,
Lincoln would be Better off STAYing with the horizontal slats (with or without the Split) for everything except the "whole 'nother level"/true-flagship Continental... ...until the aluminNavi comes out (& LincStang!!)((& Aviator))(((all loading to near/around/justover $100k)))...

kinda, tho an "octave" higher, like the Genesis(& Equus?) aren't pillaged for the Sonata & Elantra

#15 ·
just imho,
Lincoln would be Better off STAYing with the horizontal slats (with or without the Split) for everything except the "whole 'nother level"/true-flagship Continental... ...until the aluminNavi comes out (& LincStang!!)((& Aviator))(((all loading to near/around/justover $100k)))...

kinda, tho an "octave" higher, like the Genesis(& Equus?) aren't pillaged for the Sonata & Elantra
Ford uses the horizontal slats, combine that with the new Lincoln shield grille and you'll have an uncomfortable similarity.

Lincoln is all-in on the new fascia from MKZ on up, too bad MKX just missed the boat on that since it'll be the last to make the transition now.

#16 ·
#17 ·
#21 ·
Was at the Shanghai Auto show today... it's huge, and ran out of time by the time we got to the Lincoln exhibit, but all I can say is: Lincoln has China figured out. Their area is huge and elaborate and roped off. You have to stand in line to enter, which is a sure-fire way to get people interested. There are tons of people milling about the cars, but making newcomers wait just a few minutes to join them is a brilliant tactic, as the line was long.

We happened by just as a show around the Continental was going on. A male and female dancer performed a gymnastics-type show in front of the car to classic music. There was also a beautiful white 50's Continental on display. Seriously, Lincoln knows what they're doing in China! I'm back at the show for two more days (to work), but will have time before and after the crowds arrive to get a proper look and photos.

#22 ·
Was at the Shanghai Auto show today... it's huge, and ran out of time by the time we got to the Lincoln exhibit, but all I can say is: Lincoln has China figured out. Their area is huge and elaborate and roped off. You have to stand in line to enter, which is a sure-fire way to get people interested. There are tons of people milling about the cars, but making newcomers wait just a few minutes to join them is a brilliant tactic, as the line was long.

We happened by just as a show around the Continental was going on. A male and female dancer performed a gymnastics-type show in front of the car to classic music. There was also a beautiful white 50's Continental on display. Seriously, Lincoln knows what they're doing in China! I'm back at the show for two more days (to work), but will have time before and after the crowds arrive to get a proper look and photos.
Did you see the refreshed Chinese-spec Focus? I believe this could preview the refreshed Focus for the rest of Asia-Pacific.

#23 ·
Got to spend some more time around Lincoln today (went early this morning before opening; despite wearing a presenters badge there was no way to get in before the crowds and take a peek at the Continental, alas...), and I once again state that Lincoln knows what they're doing in China. They had one of the most elaborate stands, matched only by the DS display in class and style. What was brilliant about eh Lincoln display was that much of it matches their Chinese dealerships, so people who discovered them at the show will feel right at home when they visit the dealerships now. Navigator looks great in black, it's going to be a hit, no question.

As for the Continental, I found it larger than I expected, nice and long, low and wide. It doesn't look like any Bentley model, it simply doesn't. I'd say those drawings need to be frozen and that thing put in production (only thing I'd do is put on some smaller, more attractive rims).

Didn't have as much time at Ford's stand as I would have liked, but the GT is awesome! The details around the taillights (the look like air outlets, not sure what they vent!) are really cool. ST and RT Focus models are really sharp too. Taurus is really quite a sedate design, but very handsome. I think that Ford knows what the Chinese want in a big sedan. The new Explorer is also very nicely updated.

Hadn't read your question beforehand, AM222, sorry didn't pay special attention to the Focus, sorry!

Will try to add some pictures as soon as internet wants to cooperate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.