1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford’s Lincoln luxury sales sputter even after Super Bowl ads
Automotive News
March 1, 2013

DETROIT(Bloomberg) -- Ford Motor Co.’s Lincoln brand, which aired two ads during the Super Bowl in February, posted a 29 percent U.S. sales slide for the month as dealers continued to run short of the MKZ sedan featured in the commercials.

Lincoln sold just 945 MKZs, down 62 percent from a year earlier, as Ford’s luxury brand today reported that total monthly sales fell to 4,883. Ford sold more Fiesta subcompacts than Lincolns.

The rollout of the revamped MKZ, which Ford expects to lead Lincoln’s revival, has been hamstrung by the Mexican-built cars requiring rigorous quality inspections at a Michigan plant, the company has said. The MKZ, with an expansive chrome grille inspired by an eagle’s wings, is the first of four new models Lincoln has coming over four years as Ford spends $1 billion to turn the brand around.

“These sales numbers are disturbing, especially since they’ve been relaunching the brand,” said Rebecca Lindland, an automotive consultant with Rebel Three Media & Consultants in Cos Cob, Conn. “How many people have been turned away because of no inventory of MKZs?”

Ford said dealers will be fully stocked with MKZ models by next month. Lincoln began selling the restyled MKZ in January.

“We have started delivering approximately 100 MKZs per day, even as we continue running every MKZ through its quality validation process,” Ken Czubay, Ford’s U.S. sales chief, told analysts today on a conference call. “We are targeting dealers to be at normal MKZ stock positions at the beginning of April.”

Lincoln’s Super Bowl ads aired during the Feb. 3 NFL championship game, which was viewed by more than 108 million people, the third-most-watched TV broadcast in U.S. history.

Full article available at link.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, March sales should look better.

They're just now starting arrive at my local dealership. So, maybe I'll take one for a ride.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
How about we wait until the dealer network is filled prior to jumping on the sky is falling bandwagon?

Is this good? Of course not. But it would be far worse for Lincoln to ship the Z with major quality issues. They have one chance to launch it, get it right.

·
Registered
607 Posts
The new MKZ looks good but not as good as the Fusion, the MKS never hit the mark nor did the strange-looking MKT, and the Navigator is old, old, old. Lincoln needs new products, not freshened up bland models.

·
Registered
245 Posts
All of the Lincolns need to be assembled in the states if Ford wants the public to believe that Lincoln quality is first class. That's my feeling on this situation. If the cars must go first to Mich. from Mexico before the dealership, that's a drain on profits. Something is wrong with this picture. If Lincolns sales continue to fall, then start drawing up designs for a Mercury. Other car manufacturers can make and sell two or three brands of cars and Ford can't get pass one. Something is still seriously wrong at Ford. Lincoln sales will improve with time, but not to Ford liking. I hope I'm wrong, but it's going on for too long.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Ford’s Lincoln luxury sales sputter even after Super Bowl ads
Well, it certainly su**ks that the MKZ is not yet available in numbers as it was supposed to be - but keeping that in mind, is it so hard to understand that they can't sell vehicles that aren't yet on the lot?:facepalm:

·
Registered
607 Posts
Building all of them in America is a wise move. Lincoln should be America's luxury brand. I bought a 2011 Explorer because it was the most North American family mover available. Adding new models like an LSS (Luxury Sport Sedan) and an LSC (Luxury Sport Coupe/Convertible) on the next Mustang platform would be a smart move. In addition, it needs a fullsized high-end RWD sedan to compete with the big cars from BMW and Mercedes - maybe even Hyundai. Of course, the Navigator and MKX (Aviator?) desperately need updating .

·
Registered
3 Posts
What a sorry Company. I ordered MKZ in October and was given a January 3 build date. 3/7/13 received call from dealer to make changes to order and will get back to me with another date. They need to clean house with the mangement of the new Lincoln Motor Co.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
What a sorry Company. I ordered MKZ in October and was given a January 3 build date. 3/7/13 received call from dealer to make changes to order and will get back to me with another date. They need to clean house with the mangement of the new Lincoln Motor Co.
very sorry to hear about your problem, newcat
but
just imho
since The Lincoln Motor Company doesn't have any factories of its own
the fault for this goes to FoMoCo...

..was thinking earlier today that I hope all concerned have to keep the MKZ in a "yellow folder" at the corporate Weekly Thursday meetings - all the way until the 2014my's come out

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I still have not seen one on the road yet. This is a 2013 model, and some '14s will be out soon!

I seriously hope that these delays do not also delay the mid-cycle refresh.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There have been, I believe, 5 2013's at the local dealers that were not pre-orders. I had a chance to drive one and my impressions are:
1. Great looking exterior, especially the rear end.
2. The interior is a big improvement over the prior model. Some items like the steering wheel stalks and material on the doors are below par for a car in this class.
3. The car is quiet and smooth.
4. Visibility is a problem. The c-pillar is a significant obstruction. The retractable roof almost completely blocks the rear window when it is retracted.
5. I couldn't get the touch controls to operate even with the car parked.
6. Wheel choices on the hybrid are too limited. The base wheels aren't attractive, and the only other option forces a "preferred" package.

I really wanted to like this car, but find I don't like it well enough to buy one.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Has anyone driven a 3.7 MKZ yet with the UMS option? ( Ultra Massive Sunroof)
I would have if Autoway Lincoln of Clearwater allowed me to... I think I will go to Parks Lincoln of Tampa this weekend and see if I have any luck there, I really want to try the 3.7

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Talking about test-driving: Yesterday, I received a nice offer from Lincoln:

If I take the new MKZ for a test-drive, I can customize my own pair of Maui Jim sunglasses - valued at up to $329. I also received a small, sleek silver ball pen.

Not bad...

Since I have to bring in my car for service shortly, I might take advantage of this offer.:thumb:

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Talking about test-driving: Yesterday, I received a nice offer from Lincoln:

If I take the new MKZ for a test-drive, I can customize my own pair of Maui Jim sunglasses - valued at up to $329. I also received a small, sleek silver ball pen.

Not bad...

Since I have to bring in my car for service shortly, I might take advantage of this offer.:thumb:
Was this the same dealership Andrew went to?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts