Ford Inside News banner

21 - 40 of 555 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Fiesta, C-Max, Focus and Focus EV are also being cut as Ford momentarily exits the economy and high-high-effeciency market for the remainder of the decade as they focus more on trucks, vans, and utilities. It's one of the reasons they've spent so much time announcing products that are beyond 2020 because for a while their product portfolio is going to have no economy or EV options besides Fusion Hybrid and EcoSport (which is still less FE than Focus and Fiesta). By 2020 we should see Ford return with the next-gen Focus and a bunch of new hybrids including Escape and F-150.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Fiesta, C-Max, Focus and Focus EV are also being cut as Ford momentarily exits the economy and high-high-effeciency market for the remainder of the decade as they focus more on trucks, vans, and utilities. It's one of the reasons they've spent so much time announcing products that are beyond 2020 because for a while their product portfolio is going to have no economy or EV options besides Fusion Hybrid and EcoSport (which is still less FE than Focus and Fiesta). By 2020 we should see Ford return with the next-gen Focus and a bunch of new hybrids including Escape and F-150.
Fiesta still surprises me......could it have to do more with production space (where to make it) rather than whether they feel it's a competitive offering? I know they have to make it for Mexico/South America right?
C-Max will effectively be replaced by the Model E, and it sounds as if another utility will slot between EcoSport and Escape, so while "C-Max" may be dropped, it's being replaced. You can't include Focus in the "cut" category. You act as if it's being dropped from the lineup completely to never return a la Dart/200. It's going on a short hiatus until the new model arrives.

Really, everything you mentioned aside from Fiesta is being replaced, so saying they're cutting those products is inaccurate.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
C-Max will be replaced by a new crossover with the same size and price because European buyers don’t want more people movers, they want crossovers. Focus will be in a short hiatus in USA until the new model arrive. But this is a “production” hiatus. Maybe will be enough units to keep the dealers with some old models until the new ones arrives.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
All of the Ford models they are about to cut.
Easy to say, hard to prove I guess.
Reputation implies years of bad word of mouth by customers. Name one model about to be cut that had a bad reputation. I see only several products that are a bit long in the tooth. Hardly a bad rep excuse.

·
Registered
867 Posts
just-imho
the only vehicles I feel confident will still be in the Ford lineup in ~5>10 years, other than trucks,
are
Escape, Edge, Explorer, Expedition

can easily see everything else changed - one way or a nother, not nec. Names
To me, those are all trucks.>:)

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
QUOTE: bzcat @ BON Posted Today, 01:05 PM

I don't know what Jim's big plan is but here will be my plan - which should be obvious to anyone paying attention to the industry - more CUVs! Look at Honda... best seller is CR-V, and the HR-V outsells Fit by a healthy margin.

• Fullsize car is pointless in the US so no reason to replace the Taurus. Just make the next Fusion a totally kick ass car.
• Fiesta made sense when gas was $4 a gallon but obviously a marginal business now. But I would find a way to keep the car in the line up in the US. Import it from somewhere.
• Make sure next gen EcoSport and C-Max replacement (a CUV) are build in North America so you have the capacity to meet demand.
• Re-assess European niche products... Grand C-Max and S-Max maybe better off being replaced by 7-seat Escape/Kuga and 7-seat Edge, which Ford can sell worldwide.
• Make more variants of Explorer and Edge. We have Platinum (Vignale) and Sport but there seem to be a lot of untapped potential. i.e. a "Raptor-lite" or FX version with faux-SUV styling (lots of cladding and a bit more ground clearance); a King Ranch Explorer (come on... shooting fish in the barrel here) etc.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Ford needs to work on what works for them. Next gen F series should have an F-100 that is all electric.
F-150 should have several hybrid engines as options (one for fleet and a stronger one for retail)
The Model E should have one c-d sized sedan, one sleek convertable, and 2 or 3 sizes of CUVs.

I do not see the value of each company working on their own automomus vehicle. There should be a regulated system which would connect every automomus vehicle on the road, and have them work in tandem when possible.

Reactions: 2b2

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
went looking for Team Edison info & found:
Media.Ford.com | Oct 3, 2017 | DEARBORN, Mich.
Ford Motor Company to Host CEO Strategic Update

On Tuesday, Oct. 3, Jim Hackett, Ford president and chief executive officer, will provide a strategic update to members of the investment community in New York.
Also participating will be...

Ford needs to work on what works for them. Next gen F series should have an F-100 that is all electric.
F-150 should have several hybrid engines as options (one for fleet and a stronger one for retail)...
The Model E should have one c-d sized sedan, one sleek convertable, and 2 or 3 sizes of CUVs...
:thumb: +

thinking = no one can can use the num of alphanumerics for range ( =suicide ) but
it might be that kWh battery-size could be PERFECT ...THO
that could dis-place the current, infinitely-well-known ($valuable$) numerics

...I do not see the value of each company working on their own autonoMOUSE vehicle. There should be a regulated system which would connect every autonoMOUSE vehicle on the road, and have them work in tandem when possible.
I'd like to keep the gub'mint out of this as loooooooooooooooooong as possible.
if the Mfgs are smart (more than falsely-competitive) they'll get their actS together and present 'Washington' with a fait-accompli

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ would that make it more of a 'suggestion' than a 'regulation'?

are there any "official" guidelines for autonoMOUSEy?
( other than definitions of what Levels 1 thru 5 *are* )

archive:
Introducing Team Edison
Since becoming CEO four months ago, I’ve often been asked about our vision for electrified vehicles.

As we move into a future of smart vehicles in a smart world, a large piece of that strategy will be the electrification of our products. Global trends are demanding this, and it also aligns with our company goals.

Earlier this year, we laid out plans to invest $4.5 billion by 2020 in electrified vehicles. Today, I’m pleased to announce we are taking an important step toward advancing our winning plan through the creation of a new, dedicated global electric vehicle organization called “Team Edison.” The name of course harkens back to Thomas Edison, who collaborated with Henry Ford on some of the first electric vehicle concepts more than a century ago.

Team Edison will be led by Ted Cannis under the direction of Sherif Marakby, Ford’s vice president of electrified and autonomous vehicles. Darren Palmer will lead EV product development, and Mark Kaufmann will head up marketing. Team Edison will focus on BEVs and will include members from other functions in the company.. Bill Ford and I have challenged Team Edison to think big and move fast to deliver vehicles and experiences that are uniquely Ford and human centric in the design.

At Ford, our strategic approach is to leverage our unique product strengths and acute understanding of our customers to design vehicles they love and help make their lives better. This vision encompasses the full spectrum of electrified vehicles -- hybrids, plug-in hybrids and pure battery-electric vehicles.

While hybrids are becoming more commonplace, we believe pure battery electric vehicle will have the greatest impact on our industry and our world. This will open the door to new ways of thinking from vehicle design and assembly, to customer services to software. We must imagine new possibilities of where to play and how to win.

With lower operating costs and compelling attributes, electric vehicles will fit perfectly with many people’s lifestyles. Battery range and charging speeds have progressed and will continue to improve. It’s imperative we take advantage of this moment in time to expand our portfolio.

The team includes talent from all disciplines working to deliver strategies and plans for the present as well as the near and far-reaching future:

Team Edison will focus primarily on:

· Rapidly designing and implementing new holistic, customer-focused BEVs, services and ownership experiences

· Improving revenue through choices of nameplates and thorough understanding of customer trends and segmentation by market

· Providing unique battery electric vehicle features and services, including over-the-air upgrades, charging, and customer experiences

· Reducing cost through a focused strategy and new business models, scale, commonality of systems and partnerships.

I know I can count on all of you to give Team Edison your full support as we move into the future with new purpose and ambition.

Sincerely,

Jim

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Wonder why they choose the end of the work day to do this?

Reactions: falcon lover

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
- after the NYC market has closed? tho could be earlier anyway
- after other news has 'populated' the headlines?
- golf?
Yeah...sales for September, GM announcing their EV plans, and the Las Vegas shootings are what people are reading about today.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Is there a link to the live feed?

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
So you have to register to watch it?

21 - 40 of 555 Posts