Ford Inside News banner

101 - 120 of 555 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
The next generation Fusion can probably cut the Sport and AWD, cut the 2.5L and make the 1.5EB standard (same with Escape).

That will leave FWD 1.5L EB, 2.0L EB, and Hybrid/PHEV.

The segment is no longer filling out the top-end of the market as it was before the Crossovers so they can start cutting out the top-end configurations, eliminate the Platinum and Sport models for example and focus on Titanium at the top-end. The rest of those customers are probably moving into crossovers for more power and AWD. And somewhere down the line we are probably going to see an autonomous/BEV sedan. The next Escape might pick up more Fusion slack if they can sell more than they are selling now.

And in the end Fusion sales aren't going up no matter how much money they put into it.
So let's eliminate what can be the most profitable versions? Ok....

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Fusion sales don't need to go up. Just maintaining numbers for such a great selling sedan is what many would kill for.

In the end, competition is coming from every angle and every segment and every propulsion option.
Maybe Lincoln needs to go EV like Toyota just announced that they are planning to do with Lexus since the premium vehicles can better absorb the increased cost of electrification at a lower volume. Initially, offer ICE and slightly different EV versions of a similar same top hat. No PHEV, but Pure Electric Lincolns.

"In the coming years, Lexus will skip plug-in hybrid models and instead move to the development of all-electric vehicles and hydrogen-powered fuel-cells."

Ford has a 300+ mile battery pack they keep talking about so put it under Ultra Quiet, Ultra Quick, Ultra Tech, Ultra Luxury...Lincoln

Lincoln MKC Electric - Next Gen
Lincoln MKE Electric - Lincoln version of New Focus Sedan
Lincoln MKZ Electric - Next Gen since Lincoln missed PHEV
Lincoln MKZ Coupe Electric - Next Gen
Lincoln Continental Electric - Next Gen

SuperCharger access, Inductive Charging at home...standard.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
The rumor mill is churning that one of the new EVs GM will launch next year will be based on the Volt top hat, with the Bolt's 230 mile EV platform. I am sure that with the engineering of the new Volt and Bolt happing at the same time, GM must have engineered in compatibility, knowing the near future will need an EV.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
How about buying-out Panasonic's share of the GigaFactory?

...Oh! and Lucid

& edit:
3rd hand rumor that a Detroit-area TV station said Ford is closing 3 factories in January
That was them completely mis-reporting the fact that Ford was shutting down production for 2 weeks at 3 plants because of high inventory.

Reactions: Bloggin

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
So let's eliminate what can be the most profitable versions? Ok....
But how many are they selling? I imagine very few since this segment has turned into the modern age Compact sedan, sold on price only. Sedans are dead, there's no way of getting around that fact. Sport and Platinum arrived too late to take advantage.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
The rumor mill is churning that one of the new EVs GM will launch next year will be based on the Volt top hat, with the Bolt's 230 mile EV platform. I am sure that with the engineering of the new Volt and Bolt happing at the same time, GM must have engineered in compatibility, knowing the near future will need an EV.

That should have been the Bolt to begin with. The idea that the actual Bolt is a CUV is lost on anybody who wants a CUV, it's a tall hatch... and an ugly one at that.

I'm curious what the cost to build a full electric based upon the Volt body/platform vs building the Volt itself with the combined ICE/Electric powertrains. I know batteries are expensive, but is that expense offset by not having to engineer, build, and assemble a hybrid like the Volt? Maybe not, but I bet it will soon.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
CUVs are shaving off some of the sedan sales in the compact and midsize segment while SUVs balance out in their own segment.

For example:

Civic(284k) is up .20% while CRV(380k) is up 6.6 YTD

RAV4(312k) is up 19.9% while Corolla(265k) is down -8%

Escape(233k) is down -.4% while Focus(123k) is down -11.6%

Equinox(212k) is up 22.4% while Cruze(149k) is up 8%

As we can see from the compact segment, some CUVs are up and some are down as they balance out the segment with the sedans that are also up and down. Midsize CUVs and sedans are in a similar situation. Balancing out the two options(CUV or Sedan) for each segment.

But it is easy to forget that the industry or automakers will try and spin the sales in whatever direction that justifies their sales position. Ford is slow with replacing the Escape, Focus, Taurus in the US and did not refresh the Fusion enough, but they did launch newer CUVs at a $7k premium over the sedan in the same segment, so their 'story' will be toward CUVs because those are the newest products they have to sell.

But it is the transition to EV and the 800+ lb, 300+ mile battery packs that will put more consumers in lower riding sedans again. Hummmm....which may be why Ford is targeting to make more CUVs that will use combustion engines, while the new crop of EVs coming should be sedans/5-door sport back models, after or before that small CUV.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
So I was at the Ford Town Hall meeting today, with Hackett, Klevorn, Shanks, Farley and Hinrichs on stage presenting what they pitched on October 3rd to Wall Street - a very high level, practically geosynchronous, overview of their plan going forward. The same plan that did not impress Wall Street very much, because it was void of any useful details or specifics, only aspirations to become better.

Not sure why I expected anything more from Hackett. Actually, yes I do, because at other Ford meetings in the past, execs spent at least some effort detailing future products as well.

This was yet another meeting from Hackett where I listened carefully for any crumb he would so graciously share on product, BEV, Lincoln.....anything. But yet again, absolutely nothing. Worst yet, I don't think we will get much for many months, if not years. Just as some have prognosticated here, a big dry spell in terms of product. I stayed positive in anticipation, completely forgetting the type of leader we now have steering Ford into un-chartered waters. I can no longer remain positive, without something to feel that way about. I have always in the past know what was coming down the pipe, to some degree, and now, it's all a mystery. So to those I chastised for being negative, I concede all your points, and I apologize and promise to keep my mouth zipped.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
For the years that I have been following Ford, the biggest issue has been with Ford's lack of an ability to commit to anything other than F-Series trucks. Trying so hard to play it safe and becoming paralyzed with indecision. And by the time they think about making a decision, the market has changed and they must start the cycle over again.

Again....Tesla launched in 2012 and Ford did their tare down of the Model S. Since then GM designed and launched the 238 mile Bolt EV nationwide in 2017 with 2 more models planned for 2018. Ford has kicked the can out to 2020 or 2021. What has Ford been doing over the past 5 years as it relates to EVs? And during that time no significant technology upgrades for Energi models either, along with no Energi model for Lincoln.

I still don't get why with such a late launch of a new Expedition and Navigator, that their Hybrid versions are not at least announced. They are launching in 2017 as 2018 models.

But Hackett did clearly talk about cleaning up the slow decision making and development process at Ford.....and I am sure that takes a bit of time. But Ford needs to at least show concepts of the new electrified models. Something..... Because it's almost 2018 and too late for 'plans' for the future that should be now.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
So I was at the Ford Town Hall meeting today, with Hackett, Klevorn, Shanks, Farley and Hinrichs on stage presenting what they pitched on October 3rd to Wall Street - a very high level, practically geosynchronous, overview of their plan going forward. The same plan that did not impress Wall Street very much, because it was void of any useful details or specifics, only aspirations to become better.

Not sure why I expected anything more from Hackett. Actually, yes I do, because at other Ford meetings in the past, execs spent at least some effort detailing future products as well.

This was yet another meeting from Hackett where I listened carefully for any crumb he would so graciously share on product, BEV, Lincoln.....anything. But yet again, absolutely nothing. Worst yet, I don't think we will get much for many months, if not years. Just as some have prognosticated here, a big dry spell in terms of product. I stayed positive in anticipation, completely forgetting the type of leader we now have steering Ford into un-chartered waters. I can no longer remain positive, without something to feel that way about. I have always in the past know what was coming down the pipe, to some degree, and now, it's all a mystery. So to those I chastised for being negative, I concede all your points, and I apologize and promise to keep my mouth zipped.
To be fair, the waters over the next decade in the automotive industry are about as clear as mud. There is going to be a massive paradigm shift, we just don't know how soon, nor how quickly the shift will occur. It's a **** of a lot of fun to Monday morning QB these things, but I wouldn't want to be responsible for charting the course that could potentially destroy and American manufacturing icon and it's many employees future!

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
For the years that I have been following Ford, the biggest issue has been with Ford's lack of an ability to commit to anything other than F-Series trucks..
Ford's issue has always been an inability to forecast more than half a decade in advance, and thus never truly plan for the long term. The current fiasco is a perfect example, they buckled down and pulled themselves out of a massive hole, then instead of keeping their foot on the floor they instead let all that momentum fade away.

BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, none of them got to their current position with one good decade.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
I think another aspect that is making it difficult for Ford is they are still trying to bridge their transition to EVs with PHEV. Because that means they have to do both drivetrain technologies. ICE and PHEV at all plants, instead of initially dedicating one plant/factory for EVs and create a lineup of new EV models, and transition existing name plates/factories along the way. Because the trend now is that BEVs are outselling PHEVs because once consumers get a taste of driving an EV, they do everything they can to not let the combustion engine startup.

Ford needs to commit to EVs, and go all in, one model at a time. This way they are ready for a surge in demand.

I am sure there are so many moving parts Ford has to manage, but so do all the competition.....

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ they are(were) building a 2nd factory like a cancer on the side of FlatRock
MAYBE that could build e-drivetrains that could get stuck in S650 & Conti/MKZ nextdoor plus
build some new e-models/Model-Es?
& ship sub-structures to Chicago?

...Again....Tesla launched in 2012 and Ford did their tear down of the Model S. Since then GM designed and launched the 238 mile Bolt EV nationwide in 2017 with 2 more models planned for 2018. Ford has kicked the can out to 2020 or 2021 ... And during that time no significant technology upgrades for Energi models either, along with no Energi model for Lincoln...

...But Ford needs to at least show concepts of the new electrified models. Something..... Because it's almost 2018 and too late for 'plans' for the future that should be now.
imho
FLincMoCo needs to do SOMETHING within the next 12 months, ie PRODUCE something**

I've
- ranted about an MKZ-ENergi and
- how plug-ins and pureBEVs are closer in concept than ordinary hybrids
so
ASAP take a couple Magna-FocusEV drivetrains, stick them Front-AND-Back under a modified Z;
BUY A FLAT BATTERY cough*Tesla*cough raising it slightly = VOILA!
could stick a 1.0-generator in front to test out a better LuxVoltec, too
THEN

if it doesn't BOMB, do the same with the MKX (maybe the MKC(& Escape?))
+/then
a more 1/2and1/2 Navi: 2.3T from Mustang + batterypack (maybe?)...
...NO idea what's gonna happen with an Aviator ... would love to hear speculation!!

** meanwhile

Ford CEO Outlines New Vehicle Development Plan, Shifts Investments, Trims Fat (and Models)
TTAC
- By Matt Posky on October 4, 2017

...Ford is also looking at how to commodify connectivity and wants to provide Internet connectivity in every one of its vehicles sold in the United States by 2019. It also want to see 90 percent of its global fleet doing the same by 2020. While it’s not certain how the automaker can best profit from the technology, early indications show automakers will likely store personal data to sell to advertisers and/or provide them with in-car personalized marketing opportunities...
:angel

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Not sure why I expected anything more from Hackett. Actually, yes I do, because at other Ford meetings in the past, execs spent at least some effort detailing future products as well
It still all boils down to Bill Ford. Regardless of who is "in charge", it is up to the Ford family to approve or disapprove.

Reactions: ehaase and Bloggin
101 - 120 of 555 Posts