Ford Inside News banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amazing, the little ford engine beat some heavy hitters.

From the article:
"This year’s competition was the fiercest yet, but the 1.0-litre EcoBoost continues to stand out for all the right reasons – great refinement, surprising flexibility and excellent efficiency. The 1.0-litre EcoBoost engine is one of the finest examples of powertrain engineering."

Here is the full article and awards to other categorizes

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
The Aston V12 began as two of the old 3.0 V6s, in that spirit I suggest ford combine two of the 1.0EB engines into a 2.0EB I6 engine and then put it into the Mustang of course, but also a GT86 sized RWD coupe and convertible!!

Do it now!!

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Ford of Germany is hard at work currently improving the next upgrade to the little 1.0L, concurrently with the help of Dearborn, as well as several other small displacement engines. As good as that little motor is, it is getting the same treatment that all of our next gen EB engines are getting, with huge improvements in every way.

But wow, what a score.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The Aston V12 began as two of the old 3.0 V6s, in that spirit I suggest ford combine two of the 1.0EB engines into a 2.0EB I6 engine and then put it into the Mustang of course, but also a GT86 sized RWD coupe and convertible!!

Do it now!!
And, maybe grab two of those 2 litre V6s to make a 4 litre V12.

·
Registered
348 Posts
That would be "grab two of those 2 litre I6s to make a 4 litre V12!! As nice as modern V6s are they're never as smooth or sound as good as a nice I6!!
Ahh. I misread. Well, they can do that as well - but there's the argument they already have a couple of Ecoboost sixes, in a configuration that can be used in most cars.

I'm an inline fan and would love to see something like that, though.

I had a tweaked atmo 4 litre. Creamy smooth and nice linear power, circa 320hp, in a BF Futura. Absolutely loved it.

If you ever come to Oz be sure to sample the FG F6.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
The inherent smooth balance of an I6 engine spinning high rpm's is negated by the needs and operating range of a low rpm GTDI engine. That is part of the reason BMW is moving away from I6 and instead using boosted I4. That and the fact they cost more to machine and are difficult to package.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
The winners in the other cathegories: Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Mini, VW, Mc Laren, Audi.
Good company for Ford.
We need to start to consider Ford as one of the best car companies, in terms of tech and engineering.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
The inherent smooth balance of an I6 engine spinning high rpm's is negated by the needs and operating range of a low rpm GTDI engine. That is part of the reason BMW is moving away from I6 and instead using boosted I4. That and the fact they cost more to machine and are difficult to package.
Was thinking about this after having posted above. I know the turbos would pretty much nullify the sweet sounds of the I6 but was unaware of the GTDI issues. As for packaging, screw packaging, in my dreams the I6 would be a specialty engine for a long nosed specialty car not for use across the Ford line!!!

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Ahh. I misread. Well, they can do that as well - but there's the argument they already have a couple of Ecoboost sixes, in a configuration that can be used in most cars.

I'm an inline fan and would love to see something like that, though.

I had a tweaked atmo 4 litre. Creamy smooth and nice linear power, circa 320hp, in a BF Futura. Absolutely loved it.

If you ever come to Oz be sure to sample the FG F6.
Been to Oz back in the late 80's, we terrorized Perth in an old rental Honda Accord!!! Great beer, few memories!! LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts