·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford Aims to Breathe Life Into Lincoln
BY JEFF BENNETT
JUNE 9, 2011
WSJ

Now that Ford Motor Co. has escaped from the grip of recession and projects a doubling of vehicle sales by mid-decade, the second-largest U.S. auto maker is making a revival of its ailing Lincoln luxury brand its top priority.

Later this year, Ford will begin a sweeping make-over of the 96-year-old brand, to give staid Lincoln a new identity as a producer of high-tech, understated luxury cars, Ford executives said.

The first look at Lincoln's future will come in November when Ford unveils redesigned versions of its MKS sedan and MKT sport-utility vehicle, the first of seven new or redesigned Lincolns. The MKS will feature a sleeker design, self-tuning suspension system and hands-free controls and entertainment system.

Whizzy technologies that the auto maker is counting on to turn heads: retractable, all-glass roofs and computerized sound-reduction technology, similar to noise-cancelling headphones, to block road noise and make Lincoln interiors ultra quiet.

"Lincoln will give [customers] opportunities to tell a story about what is unique in their vehicle," said Derrick Kuzak, Ford's head of global product development, in an interview. "You think of BMW as engaging to drive; you can think of Lexus as refined. Bring them together and it is a new experience no customer has ever had."

Lincoln will be aimed at technology-loving, upscale consumers that Ford believes make up an increasing portion of the luxury-car market, Mr. Kuzak said. Affluent professionals who tend to value experiences, such as exotic vacations, over the bling of big-name luxury goods can be lured away from other luxury car brands to Lincoln, Mr. Kuzak said.

Sub. required at link

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
Founded in 1917.... should be a 94 year old brand

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am really anxious to see the MKS.Really Really anxious!!!!!!!

This could be my next vehicle if it as nice as I hope it would be.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Wings said in another post the MKS is getting new front and rear fascia and some new features but he said it's nothing to get excited about. The spy shots may have been real.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
So, the new MKS will NOT be the new look of Lincoln...just a slight evolution of the current Lincoln face...like the spy shot.

I really hope that is true, and that the new Lincoln look will put less emphasis on the grill, and more on the overall design.

Since the near term Lincolns still have to share Ford platforms and a lot of technology, styling will be even more crucial than ever to build brand awareness.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
I don't think the grille looks bad it just needs to match the rest of the vehicle. The MKZ doesn't look right because it is a Ford Fusion with a Lincoln grille slapped on it. The MKR was stunning with that grille. The MKS does get unveiled in November. They were just early spy shots. Autoblog didn't do an article on it anyway. So, the design maybe rethought. Time will tell. The article did say it was sleeker. The current one isn't nor the one in the spy pics.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
I don't hold much hope for the redesigned MKS and MKT, the real game changer will be the MKZ . . . the A4 killer.
MK Z an A4 killer? hummm... the MK Z is bigger than the A4. The MK Z is more like the A6 or BMW 5 Series... The A4 is a Focus sedan size car... or only bigger by a fraction

·
Registered
74 Posts
It will be interesting to see what November holds. If it is truely November my guess is that these vehicles will be shown at the Los Angeles Auto Show, November 18-27. If this is the case I might have to go to LA. I have seen two (2) schools of thought on the MKS. The first is that the 2012 will be a freshening and all new in 2014. The second is an all new model is 2013. Time will tell.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
There is an article out that is titled "Will Lincoln's makeover need a makeover?". Maybe Ford does need to sprinkle some holy water on Lincoln. It is going to be hard to get Lincoln's popularity back.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts