Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 218 Posts

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
by Alisa Priddle

Ford will make its next-generation super-duty pickups of aluminum.

Raj Nair, Ford's head of global product development, made the announcement in a presentation to investors today in Dearborn.

Ford raised eyebrows when it announced the 2015 F-150 light-duty pickup would switch from a steel to aluminum body. That truck will go on sale later this year

Ford has not said what the fuel economy numbers of the F-150 will be, but the truck is 700 pounds lighter than the one it replaces and uses a smaller turbocharged engine.

Ford insists aluminum trucks will continue to offer durability and towing capacity that truck buyers want.

"Lightweighting offers a once-in-a-lifetime chance to conquest," said Jim Farley, head of global sales and marketing.

General Motors has said it will make its next-generation light-duty pickups of aluminum.

Separately, Lincoln will add two new vehicles, Kumar Galhotra, head of Lincoln, said.

Galhotra did not say what they will be called, but they will not be new versions of existing vehicles. He also said the next-generation of the MKX mid-size crossover will launch next year.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2014/09/29/ford-next-generation-super-duty-truck-will-aluminum/16435193/

- - - - - - -

post#61
...investment in lincoln per year:

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Ford sets goal of 9.4M global sales by 2020; 2 new Lincoln models on the way

Ford Motor Co. aims to increase its global sales by 52 percent to 9.4 million by 2020 by tapping into fast-growing Asian markets, investing heavily in its Lincoln luxury brand, and expanding its global offerings of small cars and utility vehicles, executives said today.

The automaker said it would use aluminum in the next generation of its Super Duty pickups and committed to two new vehicles to join the Lincoln lineup.

CEO Mark Fields said the automaker plans to maintain the same “One Ford” plan developed by his predecessor, Alan Mulally, while accelerating its execution.

“We are a growth company in a growth industry,” Fields told analysts and reporters during the company’s Investor Day presentations. “We’re going to build on this foundation and go even faster to drive operational excellence and profitable growth for all.”

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140929/RETAIL01/140929873/ford-sets-goal-of-9-4m-sales-by-2020-2-new-lincoln-models-on-the-way#

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Cool! I'm willing to bet one is the LincStang.
"A big area of focus will be the Lincoln brand, which is slated to receive $2.5 billion in investment by 2020. Ford hopes to triple Lincoln’s annual sales to 300,000, in part by adding two more vehicles to its lineup, said Kumar Galhotra, who became Lincoln’s president this month."

Lincstang and Continental! :D

edit: although I would like to see them adding more vehicles :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hopefully one of them is not a CLA type vehicle.

Reactions: 2b2

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I am thinking Aviator and Continental

I still don't think a Lincstang will happen

·
Registered
206 Posts
but Aviator won't be a new segment, I mean new name but it would be the succesor of the MKT?
That is something I was thinking about. I wouldn't be surprised if they spun it as an all new vehicle.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
"He also said the next-generation of the MKX mid-size crossover will launch next year."
I have a doubt about this.....when they say launch next year they mean that it will debut in a Autoshow next year or available for sale?

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
but Aviator won't be a new segment, I mean new name but it would be the succesor of the MKT?
Is the Explorer the successor to the Flex?

They can spin it as a whole new vehicle

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
My guess is a compact Lincoln and the next-gen Explorer, renamed instead of carried over from MKT. MKT likely goes away with Flex. Lincoln has already said they are not interested in the uber-sedan and the Lincstang is complete BS fiction that the internet invented. The existence of a Lincstang would almost certainly mean Lincoln is staffed by careless idiots, might as well bring back the Mark LT while they are at it. Doesn't matter if there are actual customers for a car. Can't think of anything that screams "LINCOLN IS A FORD!" better than a Lincoln Mustang and Mark LT.

These are pretty logical growth segments to fill out, the Continental and Lincstang are completely ludicrous and would just be CEO pet projects, kinda like Caddy. I'd also be willing to entertain the notion of a compact sedan and crossover, but the compact Crossover will probably need to wait on Ford's next B-Car program.

If Lincoln wants an Uber Sedan and sports cars, they basically need to build them from scratch and Lincoln is a good decade away form that because Ford isn't doing it for them and they certainly don't have the resources on their own...yet.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
FIRST: can someone find a print-able version of the FreePress article for me?
their new software will not load on my antique puter

Cool! I'm willing to bet one is the LincStang.
Andrew said:
...I still don't think a Lincstang will happen
as I posted earlier today (@ BON)
an LS550/LincStang has been a sure thing ever since FLincMoCo said they are pursuing the "highest volume Lux segment", ie 3er & friends
what it will be, how diff from the MusStang, is the question(s)

here I'll add
There is NO wiggleroom in this
FoMoCo *has to*
-- DO IT
-- be crazy/stoopid
-- be misquoted IN numerous articles' HEADLINES

Andrew said:
I am thinking Aviator and Continental...
as we don't know WHAT FLincMoCo THINKS targeting the 3-series means,
we don't know what will replace the MKS.
IF a Continental is F-Awd/CD4+, imho, it IS an MKS-replacement, it therefore IS** a "new version of an existing vehicle"
IMHO
just like the CD4 Fusion is a new version of the CD3 Fusion even tho it's on an AllNew/different platform
(note: the Mondeo is even LESS new since CD4 descends from EUCD[/i] )
** of course that doesn't mean FoMoCo OR the article define "is" like me
:angel

I *do* believe an Aviator would "count" as long as it's much better "realized" than the MKT was
AND
doN'T believe the LS550 will be soon enough to be one of the 2 vehicles mentioned (NAIAS is welcome to prove me wrong about that)

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
So I'm assuming the blue dots reflect a product update in that timeline. Is there one for Ford?

And yeah, MKT is quite dead obviously. I guess they just need to make a decision on when they want to pull the plug.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
FIRST: can someone find a print-able version of the FreePress article for me?
their new software will not load on my antique puter

as I posted earlier today (@ BON)
an LS550/LincStang has been a sure thing ever since FLincMoCo said they are pursuing the "highest volume Lux segment", ie 3er & friends
what it will be, how diff from the MusStang, is the question(s)

here I'll add
There is NO wiggleroom in this
FoMoCo *has to*
-- DO IT
-- be crazy/stoopid
-- be misquoted IN numerous articles' HEADLINES

as we don't know WHAT FLincMoCo THINKS targeting the 3-series means,
we don't know what will replace the MKS.
IF a Continental is F-Awd/CD4+, imho, it IS an MKS-replacement, it therefore IS** a "new version of an existing vehicle"
IMHO
just like the CD4 Fusion is a new version of the CD3 Fusion even tho it's on an AllNew/different platform
(note: the Mondeo is even LESS new since CD4 descends from EUCD[/i] )
** of course that doesn't mean FoMoCo OR the article define "is" like me
:angel

I *do* believe an Aviator would "count" as long as it's much better "realized" than the MKT was
AND
doN'T believe the LS550 will be soon enough to be one of the 2 vehicles mentioned (NAIAS is welcome to prove me wrong about that)
If there is to be a Mustang based Lincoln, you'll need a new platform...which isn't happening this decade. You need a flexible RWD platform with features like AWD and 4-Doors, none of which is possible with the updated (Not new) and locked-down Mustang platform.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
My guess is a compact Lincoln and the next-gen Explorer, renamed instead of carried over from MKT. MKT likely goes away with Flex. Lincoln has already said they are not interested in the uber-sedan and the Lincstang is complete BS fiction that the internet invented. The existence of a Lincstang would almost certainly mean Lincoln is staffed by careless idiots, might as well bring back the Mark LT while they are at it. Doesn't matter if there are actual customers for a car. Can't think of anything that screams "LINCOLN IS A FORD!" better than a Lincoln Mustang and Mark LT.

These are pretty logical growth segments to fill out, the Continental and Lincstang are completely ludicrous and would just be CEO pet projects, kinda like Caddy. I'd also be willing to entertain the notion of a compact sedan and crossover, but the compact Crossover will probably need to wait on Ford's next B-Car program.

If Lincoln wants an Uber Sedan and sports cars, they basically need to build them from scratch and Lincoln is a good decade away form that because Ford isn't doing it for them and they certainly don't have the resources on their own...yet.
agree with you Borg........these new vehicles appear to be ready for 2020 so that leaves time to Lincoln to develop their own RWD platform! I would love to see a Lincstang but it has to be a sedan, a Lincoln coupe based on the Mustang will be a bad idea IMHO, the same as the Mark LT!

edit: I remember that wings said tha there was a white-space vehicle in 2017

1 - 20 of 218 Posts