61 - 80 of 346 Posts

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Ahh yes the Elec-Taurus!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
My state has about 30cent per gallon tax on gas (maybe more). With the new CAFE standards forcing not only better MPG, but with electric...no MPG at all, where will they make up the tax money for the roads and bridges?

Do you believe states will find a way to tax electric vehicles, or just raise sales or property taxes for all?

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
My state has about 30cent per gallon tax on gas (maybe more). With the new CAFE standards forcing not only better MPG, but with electric...no MPG at all, where will they make up the tax money for the roads and bridges?

Do you believe states will find a way to tax electric vehicles, or just raise sales or property taxes for all?
States are already implementing taxes/fees for EV owners to pay for road use.

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
That could be part of it....but also, I think part of it is to do exactly what's happened here and other forums. To get people wondering what it is. If the red Fusion weren't there, it'd be more obvious what it is. But now the red Fusion is there, now you're like wait a minute....they have Fusion already in the picture, what could this be under the cover?

But yes, it's a Fusion.
Then maybe the concept is that each vehicle has a plug, C-Max Energi, Fusion Energi, Focus Electric, and what's under the tarp then should be another model........like a New Taurus Energi.

I guess with the refreshed 2017 Fusion out and about with just a bra on, there would be no point in covering the entire car with a tarp just because it's plugged in. Which indicates a new model.

Ford announcing the spending of $4.5 Billion, and then what they offer is the same Focus Electric with an updated battery is rather anticlimactic.
But introducing an actual new electrified model(and make it the New Taurus Hybrid and Energi at the same time) at the big NAIAS show sounds more like Ford.

Always wanting to steal the show. And yes...that would.

But we will see very soon....

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
Then maybe the concept is that each vehicle has a plug, C-Max Energi, Fusion Energi, Focus Electric, and what's under the tarp then should be another model........like a New Taurus Energi.

I guess with the refreshed 2017 Fusion out and about with just a bra on, there would be no point in covering the entire car with a tarp just because it's plugged in. Which indicates a new model.

Ford announcing the spending of $4.5 Billion, and then what they offer is the same Focus Electric with an updated battery is rather anticlimactic.
But introducing an actual new electrified model(and make it the New Taurus Hybrid and Energi at the same time) at the big NAIAS show sounds more like Ford.

@Bloggin... it is just a Fusion. Not a anything else [in this video]!

Remember when this was a "new model"????

Oh and then we saw these:

YET it's still covered in a sheet?? How could it be, we've seen spy shots?!?! Yeah, because why would they use a camod car for a picture like that lineup shot?... they wouldn't. It makes no sense. The cover makes sense. Having a camod car in the video briefly (proven a Fusion) makes sense. But we ALSO have a covered car in the same video also proven to be a Fusion (the profile shot I overlaid). Absolutely nothing indicates a "new model." If anything they're trying to subdue the speculation on forum sites like this by including the front end of the camo car that we know is a Fusion for sure.

They put a sheet on it to tease when it gets pulled off... to reveal the vehicle. I understand hoping something other than a Fusion is there, but c'mon homie, I've already proved that two of the shown angles out of three are a Fusion and this frontal shot you're speculating about hasn't given us a single reason to believe it is a different car from the rest of the teaser video.

I want a full-on Electric lineup or a new Emodel revealed at NAIAS as much as anybody, but don't get your hopes too far up, this video doesn't support that.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
regardless WHICH it is,
now I'm focusing on WHAT it could be
...and what's under the tarp then should be another model........like...

...an updated battery is rather anticlimactic.
But introducing an actual new electrified model...
FoMoCo might be able to stick an improved battery in an existing e-model - - for a very-moderate improvement imho
BUT
imho doing something with the petrol side could-imho do more for advancing the e-cause imho
I'd love to see even more than just an '''e-EB''' - - like a petrol with modes for EB (maybe even Hi-Lo boost) + a No-Boost setting to help us leadfoots conserve when driving-enjoyment is less important than just 'getting there' efficiently + an Atkinson-mode for when That is our priority (a defeatable boost negates the need for cylinder-deactivation in 4cyls imho)
ALSO
short of Ford Brand CUV-hybrids, imho it's MUCH More important to expand Lincoln's offering(s...ingular)
- the ELR was a perfect storm of stupidity imho
- the main e-buzz is STILL the Tesla S
( notice how quiet the Tesla X has become? )​
so
an MKZ plug-in (or 2**) is imho the perfect and most Important '''e-v''' they could possibly bring out (not just show) This AutoShow Season

** Sport & nonSport imho (tho mainly for 2 pricepoints)
2.3EB+modes = near 400 transient eHP
1.5EB+modes = 200-240 eHP - - unless the 1.3DragonEB is ready
and *IF* they keep the Z-Hybrid, a 2.3Atkinson would really bring that above the FusionH

edit
what I'm looking for is Lincoln employing Market-expertise with Ford's partsbin
(perhaps) more than "technical expertise or financial resources"
for now

PS
anyone else think that the FocusBEV's new fast-charger could do FoMoCo's PLUG-INs in less than 10 minutes??

- - - - - - - -

Part 2
The Lincoln Forum

Re: Will Lincoln announce an Electric MKZ?
Post by Stuart M. Cohen » Fri Dec 11, 2015

When we were at the Rockford show, I specifically asked him what Ford's plans were for an all electric vehicle. His response was (and this is pretty much a direct quote) "Ford does not have any plans for an all electric car". My response to him was "well, I guess my next car will be a Tesla". He replied, "no, you don't understand, Ford has no plans on building an all electric car". "Oh, so Lincoln does?" "Can't answer that".

All I can say that if they do, I hope they build something to compete with the Tesla, not the Volt...
.​
by Dan Szwarc » Sat Dec 12, 2015

Well, Stu, that's good to hear.

People don't understand EVs. Tesla is the only one doing it right. Poor people, like me, can't afford an EV that doesn't suck (200-300 miles of range). EVs shouldn't try to be mass-market cars. They should be the top of the line, most expensive cars with the highest profit margin like Lincolns and Cadillacs. You don't add a $10K EV drivetrain to a $20K car and try to sell it for $30K to people who can only afford $20K cars. You put a $15K drivetrain in a $40K car and sell it to people who can afford $55K cars!

- - - - - - - -

Part 3
Ford to unveil a “top secret” plug-in vehicle at the Detroit Auto Show
Electrek.co
- Fred Lambert - 5 days ago

Ford appears to be set to unveil a plug-in vehicle at the Detroit Auto show next month as evidenced by recent pictures (see above) posted to Twitter by WSJ’s Detroit Bureau Chief John Stoll.

As a Twitter user pointed out, it looks like the vehicle could be an updated version of Ford’s plug-in hybrid ‘Fusion Energi’. It’s very unlike to be an entirely new model, but it could possibly be a fully electric version of the Fusion...

...A fully electric (BEV) with at least a 30 kWh battery pack, hopefully bigger, would most certainly be welcomed by the EV community. Interestingly, Hyundai recently announced that it will be the first automaker to offer a vehicle with 3 different electric drivetrain options on the same vehicle. If our suspicion turns out to be true, Ford would be cutting the ground under Hyundai’s feet with 3 electric drivetrain options plus a fully gas-powered one for the Fusion....
- - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - -
direct-quote Mr.Fields @ 5:30
", were going to be ADDING 13 NEW electrified vehicles to our product portfolio by 2020..."

:clap:

·
Registered
2,609 Posts

I see your point, but for me, there's too much pointing to it being a Fusion......now I'm referring to the one vehicle in question. Could they pull a surprise and debut something else too? Sure, but the one in the pictures is a Fusion to me.

Here's a post I made at another forum showing the comparisons and reason for why I think it's a Fusion:

It's definitely the Fusion Energi (or Electric, if they go the full electric route with it):

Look first at the headlight shape/graphics and hood sculpting compared to the leaked picture above:

Taurus' hood is much more flat/with less sculpting.

And, perhaps better proof, look at this other model that clearly shows the same lower grille setup:

Here's the leaked picture again, so you don't have to scroll as much to see:

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
358 Posts
It's worth pointing out that they showed the covered vehicle's plug up close and there was no DC fast charge port, so this should rule out anything full-EV given the plan for the updated Focus Electric. All signs point to an updated Fusion Energi. I sure hope they get at least 30 miles of electric range this time, although something more along the lines of the new Volt would be even better.

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Ford: A Closer Look At This New Growth Frontier

Ford will take the share of electric vehicles in its portfolio from the current 13% to 40% by 2020 by introducing 13 new models.

An increase in the EV portfolio will allow Ford to command higher revenue and margins as EVs have a higher selling price than regular counterparts.

Ford’s $4.5 billion investment in EVs will allow it to regularly upgrade battery technology and it has already made good progress on this front.

Ford has increased the range of the Focus Electric by 31%, while it can be charged to 80% in just 30 minutes, an improvement of 80% over the previous version.

Ford, however, needs to constantly upgrade battery technology as it is still behind the likes of Tesla and Nissan in terms of battery life and range.

Ford (NYSE:F) has had a rather forgettable year in 2015 as a slowdown in the Chinese auto industry has affected the company's growth this year, but from a long-term perspective, Ford is pulling the right strings in a bid to improve its performance. This week, Ford announced its plans to add 13 new electric vehicles to its portfolio by the end of the decade.

As a part of this initiative, Ford will invest an additional $4.5 billion as compared to the earlier planned amount for the development of electrified vehicle solutions by 2020. At present, Ford has 13% of its vehicle offerings electrified on a global scale, and intends to take this share to 40% by 2020. Thus, Ford has lined up an aggressive target for itself in the EV space, which is why its latest push into this segment represents its largest-ever investment in EVs in a five-year period.

In my opinion, this concerted push from Ford into EVs is a smart move if we consider the prospects of this segment.

The EV market's prospects are strong

With the worsening climate and awareness regarding the effects of using fossil fuels on the environment, the world is finally shifting towards zero emission technologies. Advancements in the field of clean energy solutions over the past decade are also strong drivers of this change. In the case of automobiles too, EV technology is being increasingly accepted, especially in the developed countries of North America and Europe where the supporting infrastructure is in the advanced stage.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
via FordAuthority: CEO Mark Fields Confirms A Ford F-Series Hybrid
by Aaron Birch — Dec 16, 2015

Ford CEO Outlines Plans To Compete With Ride-Hailing Services
& recording: All Things Considered
NPR.org

Updated December 15, 2015 / Published December 14, 2015

...NPR's ARI SHAPIRO: Let's talk about Ford's investment in electric vehicles. Right now, gas prices are at near record lows. Sales of plug-in versions of cars like your Fusion and C-Max are very, very low relative to your sales of the F-series truck. How do you anticipate shifting consumer demand from your revenue source now - these sort of gas-guzzling trucks - to the electric vehicles of the future?

FIELDS: Well, it's a big challenge right now, obviously, because where the cost of a gallon of gas is, it's not a very good financial decision by the consumer. But part of our job as a company and as an automotive manufacturer and now as a mobility company, is to think of what the world is going to look like five, 10 and even 15 years from now. And our view, very simply, is that over time, oil is a nonrenewable resource. And therefore, over time, higher levels of electrification will be necessary not only to meet consumer demand in that timeframe but also to meet the regulatory requirements.

SHAPIRO: I just pulled up some recent numbers. Your plug-in Fusions sold fewer than 8,000 vehicles through October while the F-series trucks - it was about 630,000 in the same time period. Are we looking at an electric truck in the future? I mean, that's such a huge, huge, huge chasm.

FIELDS: Well, we do have plans to have a rear-wheel drive hybrid truck but the end of the decade. So yes, we're working on electrified F-series, and it's really around a conventional hybrid...

... importantly, although it's relatively small percentage of our sales, we are the second-largest seller and brand seller of electrified vehicles in the United States, and we're the No. 1 seller of plug-in hybrids...
...going forward, our view is that they'll grow, and we want to position ourselves for that growth...

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
I think we already knew this was coming.....Ford already said as much when the ended the partnership with Toyota. By 2020 was always the target date for a RWD hybrid drivetrain to be ready for larger trucks/SUV. So that would be F-150, SuperDuty, Expedition, Navigator, etc.

The mpg potential is great. For example, Fusion with 2.5L gas engine offers 22 city and 34 hwy, while the Fusion Hybrid offers 44 city and 41 hwy. That's a 100% increase in city mpg and 7mpg increase in hwy.

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
....and at 18 city and 25 hwy, the base F-150 has the potential of offering 36 city and 30 hwy.

Large vehicles take more energy to move from a stand still, but offer more brake regeneration also.

But I expect an Energi model to be part of the lineup also. With the new lighter weight, more powerful battery packs, the big trucks and SUVs could offer at least 30 EV miles per charge. An even larger battery pack option could offer power for commercial equipment. Which could eliminate the need for commercial customers to carry an gas generator to power equipment, and open up more cargo capacity.

And don't think the RWD hybrid drive train won't make it's way to Transit commercial vehicles.

Ford is still testing Transit EV vans in Europe, with the commercial van being an ideal platform to real world test large battery packs.

I am looking forward to much more electrification news coming from Ford soon.....maybe at NAIAS.

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Mercedes-Benz has started developing a modular platform that will underpin at least four electric models in the coming years.

Called EVA internally, the platform will borrow a handful of components from the MRA architecture that underpins the C-Class and the all-new 2017 E-Class, among others. Entry-level models built on the EVA platform will use a single electric motor that will send approximately 400 horsepower to the rear wheels, while more expensive variants will benefit from a four-wheel drive, dual-motor setup rated at up to 600 ponies. All versions regardless of output will be equipped with an 880-pound battery pack built into the floor pan.

Read more: http://www.leftlanenews.com/mercedes-developing-modular-platform-for-electric-vehicles-90622.html#ixzz3w7m48xOf

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Mercedes-Benz has started developing a modular platform that will underpin at least four electric models in the coming years.

Called EVA internally, the platform will borrow a handful of components from the MRA architecture that underpins the C-Class and the all-new 2017 E-Class, among others. Entry-level models built on the EVA platform will use a single electric motor that will send approximately 400 horsepower to the rear wheels, while more expensive variants will benefit from a four-wheel drive, dual-motor setup rated at up to 600 ponies. All versions regardless of output will be equipped with an 880-pound battery pack built into the floor pan.

Read more: http://www.leftlanenews.com/mercedes-developing-modular-platform-for-electric-vehicles-90622.html#ixzz3w7m48xOf
I expect Ford is doing the same by using components of the Fusion/MKZ and New Taurus/Continental platform. Building a large battery pack into the floor pan is a must.

Using a next gen Fusion/MKZ top hat, Ford should be able to offer Tesla Model S like range at about half the price using Ford's massive quantities of scale.

Currently Focus Electric offers a 100 mile pack at about a $8k premium.

A 300 mile pack should come at about a $20k premium or less for a Fusion/MKZ, putting it at about $45k - $55k. Minus the $7500 incentive and a well equipped Fusion Electric should be well under $40k.

A Model S for the masses.

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Volkswagen will give the e-Golf nearly 30 percent more range thanks to an upcoming improvement from the German automaker's batteries. Volkmar Tanneberger, the company's head of electronic development, says the battery cells in the e-Golf will grow to 37 amp hours from 28 amp hours currently, and this jump allows for the improvement without any physical changes to the battery design.

The current e-Golf has an EPA-estimated range of 83 miles, so the extra 30 percent would push it to about 108 miles. If the company can make these gains, the electric hatchback could be more of a challenger to the latest Nissan Leaf with its 30-kWH battery that has a 107-mile range in the US.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/09/volkswagen-e-golf-30-percent-range-increase-new-batteries/

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
^.....VW already offering battery upgrades for the eGolf that just launched last year. Similar range increase makes me think both Ford and GM are upgrading to the same new battery chemistry.

What's interesting is the the Focus Electric has the lowest EPA ranges of 76 miles, but actual owners report getting about 100 miles of range on a regular basis. So it will be interesting to see what the new EPA range actually will be for the 2017 Focus Electric.

61 - 80 of 346 Posts