Ford Inside News banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford Announces Enhanced and Extended EcoSport SUV Line-Up
Ford

​GENEVA, SWITZERLAND – Ford has announced a range of styling, drive dynamics and equipment enhancements for the EcoSport.

Customers will for the first time be able to order the compact SUV without a rear-mounted spare wheel. Subtle interior improvements include a restyled instrument cluster with chrome surround, light dimming function, and chrome tips for window switches.

EcoSport driving dynamics benefit from suspension retuning with revised rear twist beam, and revised spring and damper rates for chassis optimisation, and a 10 mm reduction in ride height. Electronic Stability Control and power steering systems will be specifically tuned for European roads. Convenience and comfort also is enhanced with a Winter Pack – with heated windscreen, heated mirrors and heated front seats.

Ford in Europe has received more than 38,000 orders for EcoSport, with 18,000 already sold. The new upgrades will be available in the region from June.

“Ford EcoSport is already popular with customers in Europe who are looking for a flexible, stylish, and economical compact SUV,” said Joe Bakaj, vice president, Product Development, Ford of Europe. “This range of enhancements – including an EcoSport that is now available without the rear-mounted wheel – makes EcoSport an even more compelling choice as part of our growing SUV range.”

For vehicles without the spare wheel, the rear swing-gate on EcoSport also has been revised to allow for easier partial opening where space is limited, and all models now feature an EcoSport badge.

Inside, the handbrake lever positioning has been optimised for accessibility. Noise, vibration and harshness levels also have been reduced with thicker sound deadening materials in the doors and dashboard, as well as tighter seals around the pedals.

Equipment that will be made available later this year with EcoSport for the first time includes satnav technology and Rear View Camera.

EcoSport S
Making its debut at Geneva, the EcoSport S delivers an insight into the upgrades and equipment for a model that will be available to order towards the end of this year.

The model displayed is the first EcoSport with distinctive exterior colour Deep Impact Blue. This is complemented by black roof without roof rails, with mirror caps and unique 17-inch alloy wheels. Further exterior upgrades will include a sporty rear diffuser element and privacy glass.

The full list of EcoSport enhancements includes:

• Spare wheel optional, with a tyre mobility kit in place of the spare as the standard offering
• Colour 4-inch display when SYNC is specified
• Charcoal black lower instrument panel, centre console and door boards
• Partial leather seats standard for Titanium models
• Significant Noise, Vibration and Harshness reworking via enhanced sound package
• Significant dynamics upgrade – with revisions to springs, dampers, spring aids, steering gear, rear axle twist beam, Electronic Stability Programme settings and steering assistance profiles
• Reduced gearbox torque truncation in lower gears provides more available torque for both EcoBoost and TDCi diesel
• Instruments can be dimmed, have chrome-surround rings, window-lifter switches have chrome tabs
• Heated windscreen, heated mirrors, and heated seats available as a combined “Winter Pack” which also adds rear seat ducting at floor level to improve comfort in the rear seat in cold conditions
• Privacy glass optional
• The handbrake is relocated to improve accessibility
• Powertrains are upgraded to EU6.1 emission standard, with the diesel gaining 5 PS

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Before 'enhancements'....

Don't see an official image of the tire-less rear door, but here is one a third party did, which makes the back of the EcoSport look better than the front or side profile.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Before 'enhancements'....

Don't see an official image of the tire-less rear door, but here is one a third party did, which makes the back of the EcoSport look better than the front or side profile.

This is how the rear of the updated Euro EcoSport looks like.

Here's the odd part from the press release....
The handbrake is relocated to improve accessibility
Moved it by a fraction of an inch? Millimeters?
Updated model

older models

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
This looks better than the pre-fresh but I think they need to lower it by a couple of inches and reduce the size of the lower body cladding.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Ford should consider bringing this to America in my opinion. It would definitely be a great alternative to the Chevy Trax and Honda HRV.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Ford should consider bringing this to America in my opinion. It would definitely be a great alternative to the Chevy Trax and Honda HRV.
My thoughts exactly, and with model like the Buick Encore selling as fast as they can make them. Ford should get this little guy here and get a piece of the compact CUV market. I've seen the Eco-Sport while traveling and I think it is the perfect size for this hot market. (imho)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
My thoughts exactly, and with model like the Buick Encore selling as fast as they can make them. Ford should get this little guy here and get a piece of the compact CUV market. I've seen the Eco-Sport while traveling and I think it is the perfect size for this hot market. (imho)
Agreed. I can also see this being an excellent stepping-stone to the Escape, Edge and Explorer. Once most people get into a CUV I suspect they'll stay in one, so may as well snag them at the bottom end and push them upmarket when they're looking for a replacement.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
The EcoSport is significantly smaller and less refined than the Encore/Trax and HRV and has not done well in developed markets like the UK. This is a car very much geared toward developing markets and is a massive success there. This EcoSport will not come to the US, but I hope they are planning to enter this market by the end of the decade with a proper competitor based on the next-gen Fiesta.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
The EcoSport is significantly smaller and less refined than the Encore/Trax and HRV and has not done well in developed markets like the UK.
Basically having a rear mounted full-size spare tire on a side opening door and a hard dashboard is the main reason most people in Europe (publications/online magazines/forums) call it an unrefined vehicle for developing markets.

The reason it has an external spare is the FWD global model shares the same cargo floor stamping as the Brazilian models which has a 4WD version.
Due to its short rear overhang, all the space under the cargo floor on the 4WD model is taken up by the IRS, rear differential and relocated muffler/resonator.

The updated Euro EcoSport without the external full-size spare tire comes with a tire repair kit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts