Ford Inside News banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Editor
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford Announces MyFord Mobile App
Focus Electric owners will be able to control their car from anywhere.
www.FordInsideNews.com
January 7, 2011
By: Nick Saporito

Ford Motor Company is keeping to the theme of electric vehicles: connectivity. During the Consumer Electronics Show Ford will be revealing a new MyFord Mobile app that keeps owners of their upcoming electric vehicles connected and engages with their vehicle at all times from anywhere.

The new MyFord Mobile technology provides Focus Electric owners in North America with a powerful tool to stay connected, monitor and control their vehicle. Via a smartphone or a secure website, the new services allows owners to play trips, monitor the vehicle’s state of charge, receive alerts, as well as provide several other features.

“We’re putting battery charge and vehicle range information, along with an interactive, data-driven trip planning app right at customers’ fingertips,” said Ed Pleet, Ford Connected Services manager. “That’s going to get drivers involved and excited about the electric car ownership experience.”

With MyFord Mobile Ford is departing from its stance of not using internal vehicle telematics systems. In an effort to keep owners constantly connected to the vehicle—even when away from the vehicle itself—Ford electric vehicles will have an on-board cellular module similar to GM’s OnStar system.

Through the app owners can: locate charging stations, determine the vehicle’s state of charge, create a road trip to determine likelihood of running out of charge, engage remote vehicle preconditioning, remotely lock/unlock the doors, locate the car via GPS or download performance data.

“Ford recognizes the electric vehicle ownership experience is going to be new for just about everyone,” said Pleet. “Our goal is not just to provide the most practical, enjoyable electric car on the market, but also to give drivers the information, applications and resources they need to feel confident about choosing fun, environmentally conscious transportation.”

Ford states that the app will be available on most Android, Blackberry and iPhone devices. It will also work on any mobile browser that supports HTML-5 or feature phones with WAP 2.0 browsers.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
The pictures of the car are blurred but it looks like it might have the same front as the ST Focus

·
Registered
218 Posts
Through the app owners can: locate charging stations, determine the vehicle’s state of charge, create a road trip to determine likelihood of running out of charge, engage remote vehicle preconditioning, remotely lock/unlock the doors, locate the car via GPS or download performance data.
Hmmm... would love to hear more about this....

I already use the Android app "Torque" and a bluetooth dongle from the OBDII port to monitor/record engine data, I'd love to see automakers build this into their infotainment apps, though I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Interesting that the app is shown on a WP7 phone, but no WP7 app was announced.
Since Ford already has a working relationship with Microsoft, I'd expect the WP7 phone app to be the flagship, and have the most features/best integrated if anything.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
looks like I called it, very similar front to the ST

love it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts