Ford Inside News banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford appears to be considering dropping the SVT moniker

According to a recent report, Ford is considering dropping the SVT moniker and replacing it with the 999 name.
Despite sounding like a horrible idea, a Jalopnik reader was recently asked to provide input on a possible name for a performance division from a "major automotive manufacturer." The survey went on to say the company is considering the "999" name and the division would be "responsible for designing, engineering, racing and marketing performance vehicles and performance parts."

http://www.worldcarfans.com/114091981520/ford-appears-to-be-considering-dropping-the-svt-moniker

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

According to a recent report, Ford is considering dropping the SVT moniker and replacing it with the 999 name.
Despite sounding like a horrible idea, a Jalopnik reader was recently asked to provide input on a possible name for a performance division from a "major automotive manufacturer." The survey went on to say the company is considering the "999" name and the division would be "responsible for designing, engineering, racing and marketing performance vehicles and performance parts."

http://www.worldcarfans.com/114091981520/ford-appears-to-be-considering-dropping-the-svt-moniker
It was only a matter of time before this was going to happen. They will (if they haven't already) merge Team RS, FPV, and SVT together and form a new time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Might as well flip it over and call it 666, it will be just as stupid and effective... That's the dumbest thing I've read since the government bailed out GM.

·
Registered
632 Posts
999 is tied to the original Henry Ford vehicles that were raced, so they may be thinking of dredging up ancient history with that label.

I just hope they leave out the shameless Antisemitism that ol' Henry also was known for....

...but really, I'd love a return to "SVO".

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
The name is the less important issue is this topic. The products are the focus. If you have a good car or truck, is not important the name. Of course, 999 is stupid when you have heritage names like SVO, SVT, Ghia , ST.
I agree Ford must have a global name for the performance line of cars and trucks.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
"...According to a recent report, Ford is considering dropping the SVT moniker and replacing it with the 999 name..."
I forgot all about this until reminded elsewhere

If Ford wants stoopid numerical nonsense, they should use 888 instead

Chinese people have told me they believe in lucky/unlucky numbers
and 8 is the luckiest

or
they could call it "Fu"

or

?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
From the company that brought you "EcoBoost" and "MyFord Touch" and "SEL" and "MK" branding, this is a company not concerned by the aesthetic of branding, they just want it to work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts